PDA

View Full Version : Using phase shifting fx below 100hz

sash
02-03-2005, 06:18 AM
i read somewhere that u shouldn't run phase shifting fx's (flangers and chorus's etc) on anything below 100hz. Apparently it makes the needle jump off the tracks if u plan on releasing your tunes on vinyl. Is this true?

:cool:

loopdon
02-03-2005, 07:24 AM
yes. i would extend this region up to say 300-400 Hz actually.

Evil G
02-03-2005, 07:34 AM
the reason being that vinyl is formatted in M+S (mono/stereo) rather than LR (left/right) like a cd. the signal going to the cutter is split into mono components and stereo components, rather than left and right components. i believe the mono channel results in side to side motion, and the stereo channel results in up and down motion (but i might have it backwards). so you can visualize that as you widen the stereo of the bass, you will be rotating the wave from a horizontal to a verticle plane, which means the needle has to deal with a whole different set of forces acting on it, and sometimes it's more than they can handle.

i've got a record in my collection that doesn't play for this exact reason, btw. the needle literally jumps a quarter inch in the air, even with the weight all the way forward.

MARKEG
02-03-2005, 09:17 AM
wow thanks for that mate, never knew the science behind that ;)

tocsin
02-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Just another reason I'm pro digital. ;)

Komplex
03-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Just another reason I'm pro digital. ;)

hahaha.

I would also cut the bass on any delays and reverbs you have. Keeps the mix tight (unless you're going for some sort of smudged bass effect).

Craig McW
03-03-2005, 12:49 AM
WHat about verb on a kick?

Evil G
03-03-2005, 12:57 AM
WHat about verb on a kick?

i would think that as long as the kick itself is mono, and the verb is significantly quieter, it shouldn't give any problems for vinyl, and your only worry would be whether or not it's making it sound muddy.

Craig McW
03-03-2005, 01:07 AM
I have one track I've written which uses a large wallop of verb on the kick, the kick is loud/clean/clear and defo mono, the verb sounds nice and clear as well.

I think it's ok, just had to check.

Komplex
03-03-2005, 02:28 AM
General rule is if it sounds good do it.

How does it sound if you cut the low bass off the reverb and only have the top end being effected?

Post a short clip! Don't be shy Craig :)

Craig McW
03-03-2005, 03:06 AM
The low bass is what I like though....

When I get home maybe. Plus, I don't have anywhere to upload to, otherwise I'd post the whole track for criticism....

sash
03-03-2005, 08:07 AM
i notice on a lot of soft synths such as arturia's moog modular v that a lot of chorus is used on a lot of the bass presets to fatten em up.

q. will there still be a problem if i take a bass sample in stereo, run a flange through it then convert the file back to mono?

278d7e64a374de26f==