PDA

View Full Version : Compression. *SIGH* TC works de-esser sidechain

AcidTrash
02-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Trying to sidechain some loops to a kickrum with the TC works de-esser/compressor. I have attachk and release set to nothing and keep playing with the threshold and ratio. It either sounds choppy and lame or it makes no difference whatsoever. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

miss bass
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Just out of interest, when you say side chain, do you just mean literally sticking one part next to another ?

Well i know its not that, but im asking as i dont know :oops:

dirty_bass
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Sidechaining is linking an effect to an audio channel to use it as a trigger.
You can apply a compressor to a loop for example, and then sidechain it to a kick.
So that the compression will only be applied to the loop, when the kick trggers.
You can get some very nice effects with this.
And it is particularly good for keeping huge basslines from interfering with the kick drum.
Over doing the amount of compression will leed to sever pumping and ducking, that is particlarly characteristic of oompah music or "schranze" as some people call it.

As for you problems Acidtrash, I`m assuming you`ve applied the sidechainer to your kick, and have turned it on and linked it to the compressor.
Just play with the settings. For sever pumping, pull down the threshhold, turn up the ration, put the attack and decay on zero, and hey presto.
Oompah oompah oopah

for more suble effects back off the threshhold and ratio and also playing with the release can change the way it works depending on what you want it for.

AcidTrash
02-03-2005, 11:16 AM
thanks for that. getting closer to it but I'm finding the compressor releases in randonm places for no discernable reason. any ideas? although I do prefer the sound of it uncompressed. why is that so wrong in production?

dirty_bass
02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Because you are not understanding it, it isn`t sounding right.
If you ever want a pro sound, you need to understand compression.

AcidTrash
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Because you are not understanding it, it isn`t sounding right.
If you ever want a pro sound, you need to understand compression.

I'm getting there slowly. It just means I can't curl out the acid shite at a rate of knotts anymore.

AcidTrash
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I think I prefer the uncompressed sound because its wehat two compressed tracks sound like when mixed on my system. Fine if you're just arsing about I suppose but I get the point after spending 2 days with Mr Calver.

miss bass
02-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Sidechaining is linking an effect to an audio channel to use it as a trigger.
You can apply a compressor to a loop for example, and then sidechain it to a kick.
So that the compression will only be applied to the loop, when the kick trggers.
You can get some very nice effects with this.
And it is particularly good for keeping huge basslines from interfering with the kick drum.

ooooh i see, wow thats super cool, wouldnt have even thought of doing something like that. I actually need to use that because of the bass on this tune i been doing interfering with kick. Thanks!

(sorry to mess your topic up a bit AcidT)

nova
02-03-2005, 05:02 PM
ive been messing with the logic compresser to get abit more of a tech'e fill. and hav came to the point where wanted to hav a blast at side chaning the kicks with the bass. so bass goes abit when kicks are sounding. anyone using logics comp that could explain abit on setting up the side chain. cheers

j_s
02-03-2005, 05:08 PM
maybe try using another compressor? ive never heard the tc one actually work, so i dont know what it sounds like, but ive gotten pretty good results with this - http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd-guide.html

dirty_bass
02-03-2005, 09:32 PM
I think I prefer the uncompressed sound because its wehat two compressed tracks sound like when mixed on my system. Fine if you're just arsing about I suppose but I get the point after spending 2 days with Mr Calver.

Erm, yeah.
If they are badly compressed.
A properly compressed track should be waaaay hotter and louder than an uncompressed one.
You obviously don`t understand compression.
The idea is to reduce transients and the difference between peak and rms, therefor allowing the overall signal to go louder.
It also changes the dynamic as well, making it broader.

Digital Kid
03-03-2005, 01:23 AM
thanks for that. getting closer to it but I'm finding the compressor releases in randonm places for no discernable reason. any ideas? although I do prefer the sound of it uncompressed. why is that so wrong in production?

What sound card are you using? If it's a cheap one it does that.

Digital Kid
03-03-2005, 01:32 AM
maybe try using another compressor? ive never heard the tc one actually work, so i dont know what it sounds like, but ive gotten pretty good results with this - http://www.db-audioware.com/dbd-guide.html

Know anywhere I can find this?

AcidTrash
03-03-2005, 09:35 AM

What sound card are you using? If it's a cheap one it does that.

That's what it was. Justrendered the track out and it sounds fine. Thank you.

AcidTrash
03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
One thing I just noticed is that the channel with the kick drums is having an effect on the loop but the kicks themselves don'e appear to play unless the loop is running concurrently

Is that supposed to happen?

Digital Kid
03-03-2005, 10:55 AM
No, the kicks are supposed be become more prominent when the (compressed) loop is playing as thats the whole point.

If the sidchainer is on the kick and the compresser on your loops it should sit nicely under your kick, if it's not doing that there's something wrong.

BloodStar
03-03-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm using TC pack and i think it's not a problem to chain anything to anything.. sidechain compression is a need for pro sound,,as DB said above,. i agree with it,,you can make overall sound much better,or totaly **** it up.. it just depends, how good you're in tweedling with ratio and threshold :)))

sidechain bass to kick,is a need, ithink,it's also nice to sidechain group (bass+kick) to some perc or hihat loop. chaining some grooves with kick or some another rhythm part can make that typical wooshy waashy techno sound.. someone called it wooshy waashy in some similar topic,. :))
. there's much more you can do with sidechain.. just experiment!

Jay Pace
15-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Make sure that your sidechain channel and your compressor channel are matched - i.e both either in stereo or mono.

If you sidechain a mono kick to a stereo synth the compressor will go wierd, choppy or might not work at all.

Also, be sure that you are not overloading your CPU. This is always the first plugin to complain if my CPU levels creep up. Trying turning off any inserts you might have, and mixing down the kick and the synth (assuming that it what you are trying to sidechain)

Best o' luck...

loopdon
15-03-2005, 03:30 PM
mmmh, stereo kix???

278d7e64a374de26f==