PDA

View Full Version : Prediction: 2005 > The Beginning of Techno.

MARKEG
02-03-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm just looking at this and getting quite excited.

I'm thinking 5 year cycles (that's my own theory), and I'm looking at techno in general and the way it's gone over the years. And I'm looking at the ppl that I know in the industry and what they're going to be releasing in the next year (believe me, if you're not already planning this shit, there's some big plans going on).

Distributors are at the lowest point that they can be, we can't go any lower. But now we have a load of ppl who are ridiculously passionate. Instead of a load of money making whores, we have ppl who really want to take this music forward.

I say, be proud of what you're a part of. These are the foundation times for the next cycle. Bring on the future :)

fatcollective
02-03-2005, 11:26 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

basslinejunkie
02-03-2005, 11:46 PM
not only are there people who are ridiculously passionate,there are people who are ridiculously talented also.05 is gonna be sweet!!!

Komplex
02-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Word!

dirty_bass
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
I`m in it, for it, with it, all the way baby.

The Overfiend
03-03-2005, 12:46 AM
It is time.

BRADLEE
03-03-2005, 12:56 AM
Sounds like I'm coming in the game at the right time then. Yeah 2005 looks like it should be a good year for all of us.

Jimfish
03-03-2005, 01:11 AM
so how do these 5 year cycles work?

do you mean we are at a low now, and there was another on 5 years ago. Or was 5 years ago the high point and 10 years ago the low?

Just trying to get a perspective!

Jimfish
03-03-2005, 01:13 AM
It is time.

spoken like a true highlander ;)

dirty_bass
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
2000, that was a pretty low year.
The whole world was in post millenial depression.

Jimfish
03-03-2005, 01:21 AM
so weve had a peak between then and now? shit i missed that one!
Must have been the hangover...

dirty_bass
03-03-2005, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I think I was drunk.

dirty_bass
03-03-2005, 01:28 AM
oh wait, hang on, you`re being sarcy.

Warning for Mr Fish!!!!!

ncw
03-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Warning for me too.

What is it with all this evangelical "the only way is up" bollocks on here? The scene is ****ed, music and money don't equate to a good thing, especially with a little scene like techno. Get over it.

Adverse
03-03-2005, 01:53 AM
I'm just looking at this and getting quite excited.

I'm thinking 5 year cycles (that's my own theory), and I'm looking at techno in general and the way it's gone over the years. And I'm looking at the ppl that I know in the industry and what they're going to be releasing in the next year (believe me, if you're not already planning this shit, there's some big plans going on).

don't you say this every year? whatever.. i've been around long enough to know that the drifters make the changes.. the wigs will only play the cookbook same old sausages and beans.
and truly we know that drifters are left on the shelves in this nose thumbing shit at the end of the day. whatever these plans are.. everyone should be involved not the privvy few who rub shoulders.

Mirsha
03-03-2005, 02:08 AM
You know every year I hear people going "it's not what it used to be" or something similair but to me it's just getting better and better.

dirty_bass
03-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Warning for me too.

What is it with all this evangelical "the only way is up" bollocks on here? The scene is ****, music and money don't equate to a good thing, especially with a little scene like techno. Get over it.

It`s people like you who have no positive energy to give and who only ever bring hate and ego to a situation that this scene really doesn`t need.

Is there anything wrong with wanting to bring positivity and creative energy into any situation you are passionate about.

Not for you obviously.

Thank you for making us realise this, now go away

Joseph Isaac
03-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Is there anything wrong with wanting to bring positivity and creative energy into any situation you are passionate about.

Well done, DB. :clap:

audioinjection
03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
will be a good future for techno

Kevin Gorman
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
Sweet, Im looking forward to it! Cheers to the future!

acidsaturation
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
I have to say a certain post on here (that has bean dealt with :clap: ) is the most depressing thing I've seen all day (and it's been a pretty shit day too!)

There's problems in the scene I'm sure, but it's people like the majority here who, even if they jsut :clap: or say it's great or whatever who are gonna sort those problems out.

I lost track of techno for a while. Don't know if it was being in a relationship with someone who wasn't reall into it, or having other stuff on my mind or what, but the last couple of months have been the best ever.

For a while i found myself bored in clubs, losing touch with my own music, not finding money to buy tunes etc yet there's been stuff going on recently (not 100% sure what either, maybe it's the music, maybe it's the scene, maybe it's me, dunno) that's just filled me with energy and passion again. I hardly stopped dancing for a moment last time i was out, I'm passionate about making tunes again, I'm finding cash for records again, I played my first gig in 2 years...

There's some amazing stuff happening, and I'm gonna make damn sure I'm in there this time! :love:

holotropik
04-03-2005, 01:19 AM
Well, to concur with Mark's statement, i can say i agree with his instincts. its something i am noticing down here in OZ between a few producers who are coming on strong right now. It fu**ken awesome to listen to the stuff these guys are coming up with. Something definitely 'clicked' around NYE and we all got into some serious work in the studio.

I watched all of us go to a breaking point (in our own little ways) then virtually dissapear from the scene. Just lately everyone seems to be putting all the previous years experiences into gettin things done in a positive way.

If it is or it isn't......no matter. Its just good to see my friends doing what they love in a way that makes them happy. I felt it and watched it and I will always remember I was part of it. Now we get into it ;)

Where it goes.....?

Simple.

DotMatrix
04-03-2005, 03:21 AM
Distributors are at the lowest point that they can be, we can't go any lower. But now we have a load of ppl who are ridiculously passionate. Instead of a load of money making whores, we have ppl who really want to take this music forward.

lets not forget either that, with software sampling/production tools so readily available we again have a situation where novice musicians can express themselves musically, which to me sums up lot of what techno is all about.

holotropik
04-03-2005, 04:11 AM
well....?

the cream always rises to the top, buddy ;)

Craig McW
04-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Well, to concur with Mark's statement, i can say i agree with his instincts. its something i am noticing down here in OZ between a few producers who are coming on strong right now. It fu**ken awesome to listen to the stuff these guys are coming up with. Something definitely 'clicked' around NYE and we all got into some serious work in the studio.

I watched all of us go to a breaking point (in our own little ways) then virtually dissapear from the scene. Just lately everyone seems to be putting all the previous years experiences into gettin things done in a positive way.

If it is or it isn't......no matter. Its just good to see my friends doing what they love in a way that makes them happy. I felt it and watched it and I will always remember I was part of it. Now we get into it ;)

Where it goes.....?

Simple.

It's not just the old guys Glenn. Some n00b's are making their own music these days, as well as runnign new party's that make the scene better....

Wait till you hear what's in store ;)

machina
04-03-2005, 05:05 AM

Not everyone's been "disappearing" either... just kinda hiding out and being secretive... not being out and about doesn't mean disappearing... I concur with Craig, if what we've been doing and seeing at lines central is any indication, there's some pretty hot shit about to happen... ;)

machina

holotropik
04-03-2005, 06:55 AM
yeah, you both know what I mean - hiding out in the studio is "dissapearing" in a way. A GOOD WAY.

I like where the 'noobs' are goin with this and I love where "The Lines" are going. I can't wait to here your latest production. As for playin Live.....phew!! you guys are pure techno juice baby ;)

You are some of the guys i am talkin about :)

As well as Komplex and HPS? too.

I got a great collection of Aussie techno developing that I am very happy with. Makes me get goose bumps....brrr.

Mindful
04-03-2005, 11:28 PM
I can feel it in ma bones

djtrypt
05-03-2005, 05:35 PM
i agree on the 5 cycles, 2000 was a great year for techno in NY, techno trance and acid was being played all over. then its dyed off into breaks and dnb garbage.

i know personally that there are alot of works being done in techno, i know for a fact my label will be putting out a bunch of banging techno trance tracks this year.

also if you look at the flow of things you can see how trance we knew in 1999 dyed off, now alot of techno is being heavily influenced with the driving synth lines that hard trance carriers.

i see the cycles as more like generations, like the new generation builds off from the previous generation. I like my techno driving and hard but also ambient and trypted out. Schranze really is taking over techno i see it, and tribal techno is really forming its own sounding genre.

well first gen would really be the old skool acid and chicago house from the mid 80's, then shyt kinda got into house in the early 90's, techno kinda disappeared then started to reemerge in 1999/2000 when trance was at its peak. now trance is at the end of its generation and techno is building back up. hardcore and dnb/breaks, alternate when one is big the other insn't and techno trance alternates too

then the outta these two families one is usually bigger then the other, hardcore is starting to lose popularity, and breaks is gaining more recognition. I see hard techno/ house growing again for its 2nd generation prolly around 2007 we will see it explode into the most poluar genre.

fresh_an_funky_design
06-03-2005, 04:13 PM
i definetly agree with wot you guys are saying on here, i've noticed in the last few months, there's a lot of fresh faces around on the scene. A new generation of people getting into it.

also in terms of dance music as a whole, i've noticed a lot of people listening to it more recently,which can only be a good thing. i think people are gettingh bored of all the rock, R'N'B & hip hop that fill our radio an music channels.

Jimfish
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
I have to say that lately ive noticed far fewer people listening to dance music.. more electic clubs seem to be opening all over the place playing all kinds of music and people are loving it. Whereas a few years ago i would have known maybe a hundred people who were heavily into dance music, or went clubbing most weekends, i now know about 5... and im not kidding!
Also judging by the 35% drop in sales on my label in the last 3 months things arent too hot..
but maybe as mark says, things cant get any worse than this!

Jimfish
06-03-2005, 06:08 PM
thats supposed to say eclectic up there by the way.. ;)

djtrypt
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
i have to agree, there are more ppl listening to EDM but not necessary the EDM that we all listen to, personally i dont like that synth pop EDM, or garbagy minimal house shyt. To me thats as boring and distastful as a majority of RnB and HipHop.

The thing about EDM is that you dont start off listeing to andreas kreamer, or adam jay, or one of carl cox underground/rare sets (when he plays hard banging underground techno) You usually start off listeing to cheese. And progress from there as you learn about new artists you like and more diverse and non cheese music.

tocsin
07-03-2005, 04:37 PM
Warning for me too.

What is it with all this evangelical "the only way is up" bollocks on here? The scene is ****, music and money don't equate to a good thing, especially with a little scene like techno. Get over it.

Wouldn't that be why things are looking up? Techno in all it's forms has been exploited to it's fullest from the rockstar industry. It's not making the sales anymore. You'll hear some stuff in the background of commercials or videogames but that is probably the last refuge for strictly money based techno. When the mainstream industry removes it's grip, a lot of people lose interest and it allows for more experimentation and expression which may have gotten tossed to the side earlier. I know this is how it works in the states at least.

holotropik
08-03-2005, 12:23 AM
When the mainstream industry removes it's grip, a lot of people lose interest and it allows for more experimentation and expression which may have gotten tossed to the side earlier.

...that is happening now. We all have the option to now make our own minds up about what we like and listen to. Access to music is now a global virtual store of endless possibilities. There is more music available than ever before and now there is access to all the underground stuff (should that be your taste)....yummy:)

thats why i see it on the up. as a punter and a player it is awesome to be able to search for something that is not mainstream and is at the "grass-roots" level.

due to this change in the way music is distributed i see a lot of progress and freedom for music. particularly styles like techno. it will help people align and form solid communities in order to gain presense more globally. this is a good thing indeed.

SlavikSvensk
08-03-2005, 02:12 AM
good point, but it also reduces the ability of the average punter to actually find the diamonds in the rough. with more information comes more bad information, probably in a similar ratio as before. if, as i do, you think most music is either bad or mediocre, this means a larger cesspool to navigate before finding the gems.

holotropik
08-03-2005, 02:34 AM
if, as i do, you think most music is either bad or mediocre, this means a larger cesspool to navigate before finding the gems.

...which is what i do when i go into any vinyl store anyway. Its no different than ever before, just more to choose from.

I have developed a great list of sites (globally) that i check regularly. Didnt take me long to do and I always find new ones.

I have bought more music I like online than I have in any store here in Australia, ever. So for me personally its good.

I reckon it is also good for people in other remote areas of the world.

SlavikSvensk
08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
i guess it's all about whether you see the glass as half-full or half-empty...

holotropik
09-03-2005, 10:45 PM
create your reality :)

278d7e64a374de26f==