PDA

View Full Version : Recording a mix CD - HELP!!!

Agent 24
07-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I've been meaning to record some proper mix CDs for ages but had loads of problems sorting out the set up. I've managed to install Nero on my laptop to burn the actual cds but need to know how to record the mix on the hard drive first (I don't know much about computers!).

I assume you connect the mixer to the bit on the laptop where the microphone should plug in? Then use the Sound Recorder in the Accessories menu? I've tried it but I get an error message saying that another device is recording audio. I have Reason installed on the laptop and I have tried changing the preferences menu to turn the sound off, and I have also unplugged the midi controller, so I really can't think what's interfering with it.

Anyone got any ideas?

:gutted:

Yoshimitsu
07-03-2005, 11:20 AM
well first you need to connect an output from your mixer into the line in port on your pc. if u avnt got a line in port then mic will do i suppose :eh:
Then u need a program like soundforge to record on as sound recorder only goes up to a minute i think. make sure to set the record input to lien in or mic depending where its plugged in to. You do this from the volumes menu you get from the bottom right taskbar on the desktop. hope that helps. any other probs just ask :cool:

Agent 24
07-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks mate! I'll have to get someone to look at the laptop and see where it all plugs in.

I've got Soundforge but it's meant for Windows 98, so not sure if it will work with XP? I've tried opening Soundforge on the laptop but still get that error message, but it might be to do with choosing the inputs and plugging things in the right place, like you said. I'll have a play around and let you know soon.

Recording mix tapes was so much easier!! :roll:

Apex Beat
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I think you'll recieve a filthy sound quality if you record through your MIC-IN - I've never tried it but thats what everyone told me. Ideally, you need a proper LINE-IN. I use a audiophile USB soundcard (around 160 quid), probably one of the best soundcards on the market for that pricerange. Though you can certainly buy much cheaper ones with simple LINE-INs... Although I think you can still use the MIC-IN, dont recommend it though...

Next you want ideally, Soundforge (exspensive programe, but one thats worth its salt if your doing a lot of audio stuff on your computer). Record the set through a programme like that, make sure you use the highest Freq rates and lowest latency possible. After you recorded your set, change the sound so its at 44,000hz (CD quality) and 16 or 32bit. Export the soundfile into wav. or aiff (for filthy mac users)...

You're left with a Sound file thats just one big ****ing mix. Ideally you want to layer and tier it with Track numbers and infomation. To do this you need to get a copy of WinAMP (free) and winCUE (also free). With winCUE (I think its called this, I also think someone will correct me if its not) you can 'chop' up the track by programming track markers at say 0.00, 3.20 and so forth - whenver you want track 1 to start, track 2 to start and so forth. (its not auctually difficult, the progs easy to use, this just sounds difficult).

Once you done this, you can SAVE the cue file (yourmix.cue) for example. Then you use NERO (gotta be NERO, anything else dosnt come close). You add the sound wave to the Burn list, then you "BURN IMAGE" and select the CUEFILE you used. Nero burns the CD but hey presto, your CD will have track numbers and names just like the ones u buy in the shops!

Agent 24
08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll look out for the free programs. The main problem at the moment is actually recording the mix. I did have one of those Audiophile cards but the place I got it from told me I didn't need it in the end as I have a USB midi controller with a built in soundcard, so I don't have it any more. I'm sure you can plug stuff into the keyboard and use it as an external soundcard?

I'm so annoyed with this.... :crackup:

basslinejunkie
09-03-2005, 04:11 PM
why not just buy (if you havent got one already) a cd-recorder?? so much easyer an saves alot of fannying about :cool:

cascade
09-03-2005, 07:11 PM
why not just buy (if you havent got one already) a cd-recorder?? so much easyer an saves alot of fannying about :cool:
but costs twise as much as getting a copy of cubase or wavelab from a P2P site, (which costs nothing)
all he needs is a cheap 24/96 sound card with at least one line in.
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/ROLA-UA1A.jpg
only 30quid but it only does 16/44 quality, but if hes only making a cd then its cd quality, so hes sorted.
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/EDIR-UA20.jpg
****ing cracking card mate, 24/96, right amount of inputs,
get this for 90 and then get a copy (from some source ;)of cubase or similar easy going audio recording software, and your away.
also easyies then ****ing around with a cd recorder.
go to www.turnkey.co.uk for all of the above

Agent 24
09-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Right then, I did a bit of messing round with the laptop last night and it looks like the keyboard does work as a soundcard. Now all I need is a "TRS cable"... :twisted:

sean.demaine
13-03-2005, 11:58 PM
but costs twise as much as getting a copy of cubase or wavelab from a P2P site, (which costs nothing)
all he needs is a cheap 24/96 sound card with at least one line in.
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/ROLA-UA1A.jpg
only 30quid but it only does 16/44 quality, but if hes only making a cd then its cd quality, so hes sorted.
http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/EDIR-UA20.jpg
**** cracking card mate, 24/96, right amount of inputs,
get this for 90 and then get a copy (from some source ;)of cubase or similar easy going audio recording software, and your away.
also easyies then **** around with a cd recorder.
go to www.turnkey.co.uk for all of the above

correction all "she" needs ;) :lol: :lol:

Agent 24
14-03-2005, 10:07 AM
:shock: :lol: :cool:

cascade
14-03-2005, 04:59 PM
HAHAHA, appologises all.
thats the problem with the music industry such a male dominated and sexist industry, you dont expect to hear form a girl wanting to know how to record a mix, lol.
although saying that my sister is an audio engineer and uses pro tools.
so maybe its time for change? more women into the technical shit? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==