PDA

View Full Version : Running your own server/domain.

Milesy
07-03-2005, 11:46 AM
If anyone needs help in any aspect if running a server give me a shout.

I have experience of Linux, DNS servers (namely BIND), FTP and
HTTP server running (apache, tomcat, FTPD), SSH and SSH tunneling,
HTTP and SOCKS proxy's (sockd etc). VNC for remote desktop access
etc.

:cool:

Barely Human
14-03-2005, 02:07 AM
Might just need your help mate ;)

Im looking for a way to cap monthly bandwidth limits on certain directories on multple domain acounts. For example -

I have 5 acounts, i set up a "download" folder in each of the acounts public_html directories. I want to limit them to 20 gig a month each, but leave the rest of them will full bandwidth.

I want to be able to do this so i can keep the websites online, and also not go over my servers bandwidth limit, so the heavy downloads (audio mainly) will stop untill the next month.

The sever is going to be Fredora core 2, running cpanel, and apache. The only way i can think is a script in apache somewhere, but i havent got a clue.

Can you help?

Milesy
15-03-2005, 03:45 PM
do you mean you want a cap which limits the uploads out of any
particular public_html ? or you want to cap someone who is logged
into the box downloading onto it?

:cool:

Barely Human
15-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Capping the public_html for the acounts can be done in cpannel, but i want to be able to cap certain directories within the public_html. For instance, i have in my public_html directory a directory called "web", and i dont want that to be capped, but i also have a directory called "audio" thst i want to cap to a certain amount per month.

I want to do this so peoples pages will still be online 100% of the time, and only thier high bandwidth stuff will get blocked for the rest of the month.

I know this can be done with php, but i cant be bothered coding that into every site thats going on :neutral: I just need a simple way to set this via putty if possible?

Any ideas would be great mate ;)

Milesy
15-03-2005, 10:47 PM
im still unsure on which data transfers you are trying to cap ?

are you trying to cap the downloads from http://www.yourserver.com/~youruser/ through apache itself by other
people or are you trying to cap your users uploading and downloading
to the machine through FTP or TFTP etc ?

:eh:

Barely Human
16-03-2005, 07:53 AM
hahaha, no no no :lol:

Im not trying to cap webusers.....

errr. full explanation coming...

Lets say i have acounts on my server, with 5 different domains -

www.hello.com
www.imagayhairdresser.com
www.hardmusic.com
www.mrbishi.com

They all have thier own webspace on there, each with thier own cpanel. Now what i want to do is be able to cap the monthly incoming/outgoing traffic for a specific folder within each domain, so lets say each of the acounts makes a folder called audio -

www.hello.com/audio
www.imagayhairdresser.com/audio
www.hardmusic.com/audio
www.mrbishi.com/audio

I want to cap these direcories because they will be using the most bandwidth. But i dont want anything else to be capped, from the root, to and other directory, so these wouldnt be capped -

www.hello.com/pages
www.imagayhairdresser.com/webstuff
www.hardmusic.com/links
www.mrbishi.com/flash

So idealy, when the bandwidth limit gets hit for those directoies, "audio", you wont be able to download anything from them until the next month, (and maybe even forward onto a page letting people know this when they try to download something), but you will still be able to veiw the rest of the sites....

Hope this explanation is a bit better :lol:

Milesy
17-03-2005, 12:44 AM
mod_throttle it is then... you can actually install it in conjuntion with cpanel
il get you on msn

278d7e64a374de26f==