PDA

View Full Version : Maily - liar / skreech. tell me what you think?

maily
07-03-2005, 01:53 PM
hey there people, these are the first two tracks that've actually made it off the computer and into the real world.

please feel free to rip into them and tell me what you really think (that's what i want!!)
> would you play them?
> are they dull?
> are they of a releasable standard?

thanks in advance, maily. :)

http://www.puretechno.co.uk/mixes/andy_maile/liar4.4.mp3

http://www.puretechno.co.uk/mixes/andy_maile/skreech3.mp3

RDR
07-03-2005, 07:31 PM
hi andy.

some constructive criticism

track 1.

i like the concept of the track, there are some good elements there
you need to cut the track time to 5-7 mins.
compress the elements of the track so they happen sooner
drop back the kick - try to make sure it sits at about -6db and no higher, this will then bring up the pads sounds etc into the mix.
try using delays on some of the elements.
What program are you using? be careful with the hats, they sound far too lose.

Track 2.

the snare is wickked here, really like it. It works well with the kick
Again you need to make the sequnece more dynamic, keep up the interest
the pad sounds and the growly other stuff are really nice, love them - bring em up sonshine, want to hear more o that...!
Bring the bass in earlier....

Hope this helps! and thanks for posting andy, keep em coming!

maily
07-03-2005, 07:49 PM
ta dodge.

it's all done in reason, and i wanted the hat's to sound like that :lol:
but i'll deffo work on the rest o your suggestions.

report back soon.

maily
17-03-2005, 04:06 PM
anyone else?
or ain't they techno enough?

AcidTrash
17-03-2005, 06:25 PM
not techno enough for me. wouldn't buy them. no offense

dirty_bass
17-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Ok, well, track 1.
It`s proper techno, in the very pure sense.
Would I play it? No, it`s a bit of an old sound for my tastes.
Is it dull? A little, not enough activity, and the sounds aren`t produced well enough to stand up on their own.
Are they of a releasable standard? Not in my opinion, no. It`s hard to produce to a good standard in reason. I would export to cubase or something a little more versatlile.
Overall needs better compression and eq.

Track 2.
Again, a very pure techno sound.
Would I play it? No, it`s a bit too robotic for me.
Is it dull? Better than the first track. But the production needs to be stepped up.
Is it of a releasable standard? again I would say no, it sounds like the bones of an electro track waiting to happen.

fresh_an_funky_design
17-03-2005, 08:01 PM
i like the second tune, all though some of the sounds needs some work, in terms of quality an eq. Wouldn't play in a techno set but i'd prob drop this in a breakbeat set.

maily
17-03-2005, 11:34 PM
thanks for the feedback, this is what i need.

I realisise that the first track needs a hefty bit of editing to keep it interesting (i was getting rather self indulgent there), and i'm really stuck to just reason at the moment (severe lack of funds)
but have plans to output the sounds into separate files and use a better setup for eq/compression porpuses.

so, will try harder, and report back with the results ;)

also did anyone like/notice the loose hats in the first track? :hmm:

Apex Beat
18-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Track one:-

Kick sounds quite dull and flat. The way it stutters and delays is a good idea and I see what your tying to do but it sounds 'difficult' and almost out of time, definitely has potential though. I think with techno you need to be careful about what you do with the kick, after all most techno is just noise that revolves around the kick.

That said, I'm enjoying the track but it sounds quite seperated and empty. As suggested you should bring the elements closer together. The tracks also crying out for a bassline to carry it. I'm not really feeling the snares, as mentioned they sound too loose, at least they do in my opinion anyway. The production of the track is poor as well, but to produce well just takes time, believe me I feel you, I'm trying despretely hard to get my standard up as well.

5:10+ -: enjoyin the bassline alot but dosnt really come through. Try lowering the kicks and adding EQing and compression (easier said than done!). Also, the tracks way too long and becomes quite repetative but this can be solved simply by cutting it and bring the elements closer together. Because I dont think the songs boring at all, infact its quite good but as mentioned just suffers from poor production and a few other problems as stated.

I'll listen to track 2 tomorrow cos I'm meant to be doing an essay. But I've tried to be constructive so I hope it dosnt sound like im dissing it, I think you've figured out the formula to techno fairly well and just need to do alot of work on your production skills. But as I'm finding out, this is difficult and time-consuming - but not much achieved that is great was ever easy. Keep at it!

278d7e64a374de26f==