PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Program Your Techno Sets?

MARKEG
16-05-2003, 01:50 AM
How do you program your techno sets?

All my sets always go up and up.. As an example, my techno last week set started with tech-house stuff, worked into Ben Sims, then Primate, then tribal Patrick Skoog stuff then just keep going harder. Micheal Burkat, Lars, then us, then Glenn, then Alex K Katz then the Liberator style for the last 15 minutes to get everyone avin it.

Everyone has their own style though. Post your style here!

:D

eyes without a face
16-05-2003, 02:36 AM
i tend to build it a bit aswell, depends on how long im playing and where i am. in my bedroom i tend to like building it up with some tribal stuff (mark williams, hardcell etc etc) but still banging thru to the harder stuff (Wilson, Klien, Anxious, etc etc).

if ive got an hour in a club tho i luv just banging it out. start off with a nice hard techno track good example being a track off Glenn Wilsons Tonal Path 2 Ep, called sidewalk jack, with the bass off, nice and fast, nice and loud, then tease with the bass then just slam it in!!!! starts the set nice and hard and gets everyone going from the start. then just work it from there, getting harder and usuall finish with someone like Chris Noise - Life Sucks ep on Knee Deep, an old Forshaw remix on Red Seal or an old Directional Force ep, HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eyes without a face
16-05-2003, 02:38 AM
quality ****in topic by the way mate, very interesting indeed

John Vella
16-05-2003, 05:34 AM
I tend to start Tribaly, Funky, Housey.... then move into HARDER beats...

depending on how much time I got and on the event, I may finish with hard acid techno.....

I guess it depends on my mood too.... The more pissed off I am the harder I play.... :)

-JOHNNY

matt303
16-05-2003, 12:43 PM
I like to start my sets with a standout tune with a phat intro, Then take it into hard funky stuff like Dave the drummer, Marco bailey, Redhead etc...then maybe some German stuff and then on into my prefered style of Hard London Techno, Raw's, No entry's, Cluster's and finish up with some balls out no holds bars screeming acid (no much about these days so apart fom new SUF etc these tunes are usually classic smittens, Havoks etc....AV IT. 8)

T
16-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Nice intro, into some funky, dubby techno builders, through to harder stuff, with maybe 1 or 2 more eclectic tunes thrown in along the way. Sort a pile of records before, I find that makes it easier for me to produce a good quality mix, so have an idea of the tunes to be played, but the set will take it's own path once I start spinning.

DJ Corbzy
16-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Wikked Subject, I've taken a similar post to the Hard Trance boys.

It's really interesting to see how all you peeps structure a techno set. :)

anx
16-05-2003, 06:22 PM
it really all depends for me

i like to program my sets based on what style the dj before me is playing, and the dj after me is playing, because good flow is not just about your set, it is about the entire night...

but sometimes it really doesnt matter, cause if the dj is playing crap before me i will start out with what ever i want, and it tends to be that i start off --

funky, like varela, sims, ignition tech, shufflemaster primate style stuff
get harder with some pounding grooves, henrik b, beyer
then harder with some glenn wilson, lars klien, dave the drummer, anxious, and maybe some acid techno
then harder techno like asem shama, london techno stuff, speedy j, chris liebing
and then i either end it off with acid techno or end it off mellow depending on the style of dj after me

i really try to play as many styles of techno as i can in a set

Methodixxx
17-05-2003, 04:15 AM
I have a few different syles of set which I like to play... but in agreeance to what ANX said, it depends on the night's flow and what time I'm playing and how I'm feeling and a billion other things..

If I play a hard set, I'll usually start out with a big impacting intro or just throw on a belter the starts things off / builds up nicely. Then I slowly build it up harder and try to get more and more intensity happeing over the first half of the set... at the right time (if the crowd and party are up for it) I go from building it "up" to "sideways" or "across", and this is done with either a funky tune, a trippy tune, a moody tune, a deep tune, etc or something way out there like a Hendrix record... then I go back to a chuggy, percussive roller like a Skoog track or something like that and start upping the intensity again. This time it's not a slow build, I usually just go all out to the end! During the mix I like to drop 1 or maybe 2 double beat tracks and bring the straight kick back in a huge build... oh, and 3 decks all the way!!! :D

But that is just one way of mixing one set I like to play... there are so many different paths and moods, so many different defining circumstances that I don't think I've ever played the same sort of set twice!

Usually I don't even know what I'm going to play first until the last record from the dj before me is half over! :o

Buttman
17-05-2003, 08:46 AM
First 20 min - deep dark
The rest - hard dark

Homogenity is all.

Paul Nisbet
17-05-2003, 11:07 AM
ah try to structure it, build it. But after about 30 secs i just start hammering out anything on routemaster, black out.. hydraulix, heroes, bang on, cluster, maximum minumum. U get the idea.

lol

serious tho, i quite like ZYNC, MB, Hydrophonic etc to start wi in a tech set.

Dustin Zahn
18-05-2003, 03:45 AM
It all depends. The time I go on, the crowd size, the atmosphere, who else is playing, the mood I'm in, if I'm drunk or not. All these are factors. I used to stick to the tried and true formula of housey shit at the beginning to hard as nails tracks at the end, but thats a bit standard. I like to jump around from different types during a set. Sometimes over a hard pounding grooves track I'll throw down something very ghetto or housey just for shits and giggles (without getting cheesy).

Other times towards the end of my set, I'll play dark, hypnotic driving beats. It all varies.

karlo
18-05-2003, 01:12 PM

All my sets always go up and up.. As an example, my techno last week set started with tech-house stuff, worked into Ben Sims, then Primate, then tribal Patrick Skoog stuff then just keep going harder. Micheal Burkat, Lars, then us, then Glenn, then Alex K Katz then the Liberator style for the last 15 minutes to get everyone avin it.

That`s my boy !
Working on that way too, but only 1 time I play "house"....After sampler freq. on djm600 i play Jay Denham LETS GET HIGH his new remix with munich defender on parasound rec.

Oh thats it...i love to drive people all the way....

Regards,
Karlo

daviec
18-05-2003, 02:00 PM
[quote=MARK EG] :D
That`s my boy !
Working on that way too, but only 1 time I play "house"....After sampler freq. on djm600 i play Jay Denham LETS GET HIGH his new remix with munich defender on parasound rec.
Regards,
Karlo

Oh thats it...i love to... drive people all the way....

Woo hooo... Jay Denham:Let's get high!. ****in'quality tune btw!

Col
19-05-2003, 10:57 AM
I generally start of playing a bit of funky techno, with a hard and dirty edge, gradually building harder and more minimal, but i dont think you should stick to the same process, it pays to experiment, im a strong beliver in the phrase "never give people what they expect to hear" INNOVATION IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT! :wink:

karlo
19-05-2003, 10:28 PM
[/quote]
Woo hooo... Jay Denham:Let's get high!. ****'quality tune btw![/quote]
Oh yea, but PASCAL FEOS remix is too many times played...so, now i`m playing new jay denham remix...sometimes, munich defender :-) haha.
Oh, its cool to get house in one techno set...hihi..

Btw...its cool to mix LAURENT GARNIER (man with red face) in techno ! jeff mills do that often, and jaguar from rolando too..ah ah

greetz,
karlo

ampassasinbirmingham
19-05-2003, 11:11 PM
man with the red face. you can layer that behind a tune for ages until it just hits you with that warm bassline niceness :D

Subuteo
20-05-2003, 04:28 PM
Starting off Funky&Punchy bringing in the Textured&Grinding stuff, getting more Atmospheric, Darker & Harder whilst building up the Intensity and taking the set to a climax before toning it down and going a bit retro towards the end. Keeping it Un-Predictable & Quirky.

BritishMurderBoy
20-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Homegeniety is all.

you bluddy communist :lol:

Buttman
20-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Homegeniety is all.

you bluddy communist :lol:

You bastard! You edited my quote to make it look like a spelled it incorrectly! :evil:

BritishMurderBoy
20-05-2003, 10:15 PM
speeling nevr waz mie strong point

zaalmoetlos
21-05-2003, 01:38 PM
depends on the time i play but if it's late I try to start off with an explosion to get attention and after that I tend to go up and down if you do your eq-ing right a softer record needn't sound less hard then the previous one and if you only play hard records after a while it's not hard anymore... And i try not to play too predictible because for me this becomes tiresome. I find it very important to vary in kicks, for me it's boring to listen to the same kind of kick too long.

Skarabex
21-05-2003, 06:30 PM
HARD all the time!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

djlukas
21-05-2003, 09:52 PM
i dont have many records that arent hard...

i always try felling what the dancefloor wants to listen but if i fell they can handle it i just spin as hard as i can... i usually spin most of the time real hard... i go down a bit just when i see that people really need a break...

Lukas

Philth
27-05-2003, 09:17 PM
i like to start fairly hard for the first 1/4 of the set, then bring it down and with some more quirky/funky tracks to keep peoples attention, then slowly increase it until the end of my set, making it really pound by the end.

however, it also depends on who is playing after me... if they don't play that hard of music, i might try and bring it down a bit a the end for him/her so it's not that drastic of a change b/t dj's...

that's my style.... very interesting thread.

audioinjection
28-05-2003, 03:59 PM
"How do you program your techno sets?"

I start hard and end kinda soft, like w/ Kanzleramt stuff (Kowalski). Kanzleramt kicks ass!

Xtraction
29-05-2003, 02:02 AM
Lately I've been capping off my sets w/ one of the submissions Logo sides...........man those vocals are the best on 5 or AARGH, YEAH!!!!

Tr3v0r

Xtraction
29-05-2003, 03:17 AM
No....Really I just sit there grabbin' my ass with a locked groove runnin'. Then, when the crowd starts to really get into it, I kill the non-mix and rip one into the mic, smashh the tables, and puke on myself. This is a typical 1 hour set.....one of the better ones.

Tr3v0r

MARKEG
30-05-2003, 04:40 AM
i wouldn't be suprised at all trev :wink:

Orange
31-05-2003, 07:56 PM
I like to choose a few mint tracks to open a set up and send out the signal. Ideally, following this, I aim to grab 'em as I feel 'em.

professor
31-05-2003, 09:31 PM
i usually beat the snot-out-it from the get, and go through 30 or 40 records and hour.
i like tricks and C. Young styled turntablisms, and smooth mix/blend only when i get tired.
i like to play an outrageously chill track or two somewhere in the middle, then off again with the beat'n.
generally I have no "programmed sets." rather i like to see what the place/crowd wants, then let'em have it. Been known to speed techno to 45 al'of'a sudden and mix a couple hard jungle tracks quick like just to peel heads back...
dunno, that's what i've always liked about techno, so versitile, no need to wait for the 8measure, just drop it, and see where you go.

death on a stick
02-06-2003, 11:58 AM
I tend to start with a good record and then play more good records till it's the end of my set. A fairly simple technique I find, I think many DJs could benefit from adopting this technique. Good records are so much better than all the bad records that many DJs seem to play, don't you think? It doesn't matter too much to me what's happened before my set, I'll blend into what comes before then break it down and create a new start point.

Col
02-06-2003, 12:37 PM
And how do you define a good record from a bad record? one mans good record is another mans bad record and viceaversa!

Esox Lucius
02-06-2003, 01:30 PM
good point col.

death on a stick
02-06-2003, 03:55 PM
yes, very good. :lol:

MikeDust
03-06-2003, 08:22 PM
i'm starting with cool stuff like vigorito and so on, goin over to faster "tribalistic" techno like stuff from beyer, sims, redhead, bailey then i switch to harder techno stuff - wilson, kremer, liebing, stigmata, sneo, shama and and and .... sometimes i mix "electroid" tracks between the tribalistic and hard stuff, like vitalic, into it... the people go somewhat crazy, you won't believe. just like last saturday in eastern germany *g* i don't play hard stuff all the time, a good mixture of all, that's the best, and the crowd's gonna love ya 4 life :)

mike 8)

mayzee
04-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Personally I like playing long sets... really long sets... anything under 2 hours is just too little to really explore the sound, I've got 3 decks and a cycloops, which combined with the effects on the DJM600 means I've got much much more flexibility in what I can do with the sound... I don't like just playing records, any old fool can do that

I tend to mix in a bit of everything... tech, house, breaks, electro.. whatever'll fit.. you can't just keep hammering out 4 to the floor stuff.. its too much, and to be honest it gets 'kin boring after a while, banging loop followed by banging loop... but wheres the groove gone..?

I like to start off with *really* deep stuff if I can... to be honest I prefer playing warm up sets cos you can get away with playing loads of different stuff...

probably the easiest way to say how my sets go (ish) is to stick up tracklistings from the last CDs I recorded, one on two decks, one on 3 decks

(2 decks)
1. 2 dollar egg - Reptil - i220
2. Ricardo Villalobos & Sensefiction – Tommorov Cocktail – Perlon
3. John Thomas – Talking Machine (DBX & Cabanne mix) – Logistic
4. Fym & S-Max - Bloom – 430 West
5. Michael Mayer – Speaker – Kompakt
6. Ricardo Villalobos – Ioda – Playhouse
7. Reinhard Voight – Supertiel – Kompakt
8. FC Kahuna – Machine Says Yes (Wink remix) – City Rockers
9. Love Destination – Love Destination (G-Flame & Mr G Remix) – Intec
10. Metro Area – Orange Alert (DFA remix) - Source
11. Billy Dallessandro – EFX - Resopal
12. Kowalski & Hostettler – Optometry - Kanzleramt
13. Jedi Knights – Solina - Smugg & Eurhythmics – Sweet dreams (Are made of this) - RCA
14. Marco Carola – Get Down – Zenit
15. Heiko Laux – Silent Bass – Kanzleramt
16. Altitude – Consterner – Blue
17. Technasia – Evergreen (Technasia remix) – Technasia
18. Human League – All I Ever Wanted (Alter Ego remix) – Klang
19. Leon Roberts – In the Hole (Wink Remix) – Shaboom
20. Thor – Aliens Don’t Boogie - Missile

(3 deck)
1. Sender Berlin – JR-300 – UnGleich
2. Funk D’Void –Diabla (SLS mix) – Soma
3. Bryan Zentz – Bushido – Intec
4. Angel de Castro bahia de santander – costa esmerelda
5. John Thomas – Blackstage (octave one mix) - Logistic
6. Jeff Mills – Alarms – purposemaker
7. Jeff Mills - the deep – Purposemaker
8. Jeff Mills – Call of the Wild – purposemaker
9. John Thomas – blackstage (roots mix) – Sino
10. SLS – salsa lesson (stanny franssen mix) – SLS
11. Deetron - velocity – Phont
12. Jaime Anderson – can’t stop – artform
13. Gaetek – chapter 7 (A) - southsoul
14. Bando – corrupt policeman– Superbra
15. Cave - we so krazy – Ingoma
16. Rino Cerrone – Optical Way (advent mix) – relentless
17. User – through the looking glass - extra length
18. liebing – next try (sims mix) - CLR
19. Geoff White – duck and cover ep (tejada rmx) - cytrax
20. Scan X – The Soul – Fcomm
21. Liebing – analogon EP(rachmad mix) – CLR
22. Mike Dearborn – Solution (smith & selway mix) – Tronic
23. Hardcell & Johan bacto – create & distort pt 2 - devils choice
24. Stockholm LTD 001 (B)
25. The Youngsters – Confidential Music – Fcomm
26. Eric Krakeroy - dummies – tsunami
27. Adam Beyer – A2 (lost & found ep)- conform
28. Alexander Kowalski – truck Volume (Turn it up to 10) – Cocoon
29. Tony Rios – Ritmo Total (gecko Mix) – danza Electronic
30. Speedy J – Krekc – Novamute
31. Kari Lekebusch – ursprung – H.prod
32. Heiko Laux – falling – U-Turn
33. Plastikman – Lodgikal Nonsense - Novamute

Xtraction
10-06-2003, 01:23 AM
OK...... \I chahnged my set. Now, it's just 2 pieces of sandpaper for three hours, or as long as the needles can handle it!!!!!!!!!!!!

278d7e64a374de26f==