PDA

View Full Version : Multi Faceted Producers

The Overfiend
08-03-2005, 07:03 PM
With the sign of the times being diversity,
Who do you feel is able to pull off most aspects of techno and properly,
I.e. Hard, Tribal, Intelligente, Detroit-Ish........

drift9
08-03-2005, 07:21 PM
i've been finding that paul mac works with a pretty wide variety of styles with success.

Alan Oldham
08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Adam Beyer
Marco Passarani
Jeff Mills
Joey Beltram

audioinjection
08-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Diego Hostetler

Jimfish
08-03-2005, 08:31 PM
names that instantly pop to mind are adam beyer and our evry own dirt bass

FIK
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Berkovi !

audioinjection
08-03-2005, 10:36 PM
names that instantly pop to mind are adam beyer and our evry own dirt bass

ahh yeah, true that jim, steve can throw down too!

fatcollective
08-03-2005, 11:30 PM
dave the drummer & patrick skoog!

SlavikSvensk
09-03-2005, 12:37 AM
adam beyer
paul mac
cari lekebusch
ian o'brien

Sunil
09-03-2005, 12:53 AM

:clap: :lol:

Sunil
09-03-2005, 01:02 AM
A few that haven't been mentioned:

Sterac
Chris McCormack
Jesper Dahlback
Mark Broom (when he feels like it).

Paul Mac certainly fits the bill as put forward by you in the initial post Antonio.

Anyway, **** diversity within techno for a minute - Aphex, Jamie Lidell, Subhead, Cristian Vogel... they are all truly diverse and daring. I think more people could take a leaf out of their book.

Komplex
09-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Paul Mac
Cari Lekebusch
Joel Mull

We're talking about writing music here yeah?

Adverse
09-03-2005, 04:28 AM

huh??? that's jokes.

schlongfingers
09-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Justin Berkovi
Inigo Kennedy

miss bass
09-03-2005, 09:48 AM
Producers doin it for me at the moment are

Damon Wild :love:
Inigo Kennedy
Shed!!
Elektrabel

errrrrrm theres some good shit amongst the shit, cant think

Adverse
09-03-2005, 12:40 PM
sorry but i can't get over how dumb this topic is.. it's techno for ffs.

multi faceted... if i stretch my imagination and this is after like 10 minutes of sincerely thinking about it and having inner turmoil with the fact that techno is realistically just techno and not a bunch of subgenres that make it sound more diverse than it is...

i'd say carl craig, cj bolland and richie hawtin, joey beltram and jeff mills and that's by a stretch like i said..

as usual i am with sunil.. people with diversity don't only make techno they make everything that comes fancy to them.

Florence
09-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Marco Carola... from smooth Napoli to sort-of-minimal ;)

09-03-2005, 01:09 PM
Pacou

miss bass
09-03-2005, 01:15 PM
Producers doin it for me at the moment are

Damon Wild :love:
Inigo Kennedy
Shed!!
Elektrabel

errrrrrm theres some good shit amongst the shit, cant think

she has taste

:lol:

Jimfish
09-03-2005, 01:39 PM
oh come on adverse, you know what antonio means.. a lot of techno producers have that one sound that they stcik to and only ever do. What this thread is about is those that have a bash at different sounds within techno.
I think we all know that techno is not diverse in terms of music as a whole, and as you say, techno is just techno. So this thread is exploring those producers who do think techno is just techno, and not a bunch of subgenres.. i thought thats what you would want?

Adverse
09-03-2005, 02:04 PM
please define different sounds within techno.

Adverse
09-03-2005, 02:07 PM
actually i know what your trying to say.. and it's still trite sorry.

being multi faceted within one sphere is just not possible it's contradiction.

damn i could go for a good patrick dsp analogy right now.

anyways..

Jimfish
09-03-2005, 03:51 PM
dont be so anal man

gumpy green
09-03-2005, 04:28 PM
aphex twin.

chemical bros

and i know they aint yer normal "Techno" bods but to me techno is music made with technology and they seems to be making diverse sounding shit.

most "techno" bods i know usually stick with a similar sound

cari lekebush is one that ive found that does branch right out on ocasions....his jamacan beats ep(cant remeber what its called) - its got a rasta themed sticker......think it had dub somewher in the title..

also heard the odd bit good electro/techno crossover shit form him too, as well as banging techno..

miss bass
09-03-2005, 04:30 PM
Cari is :rambo: :clap: :twisted: :cool:

SlavikSvensk
09-03-2005, 04:57 PM

anyways..

i see both your points, but i think that many producers basically re-release the same record over and over. or, more charitably, they develop a sound and don't deviate from it. that's good if you like that sound, but i'm more interested in things that keep the overall spirit and form of techno, but play with it and try to do it in new and exciting ways, and aren't afraid to release a record outside of their comfort zone. that's rare, but great when you find it...

i think that's what antonio and jimfish are talking about...techno as techno, subgenres be damned!

gunjack
09-03-2005, 05:13 PM
verse is just being negative for the sake of being negative, AGAIN. i think it is important to stay diverse, i make dark tracks, club tracks, minimal tracks, banging tracks, soulful stuff, jazz, hip hop, MAN if i had to make one style for the rest of my life i would shoot myself.

Adverse
09-03-2005, 06:03 PM
verse is just being negative for the sake of being negative, AGAIN.

like you know thing one.

gunjack
09-03-2005, 06:10 PM
reeeaaaaaooooooooow ftsch ftsch

http://www.caws.org/images/blunt_l.jpg

dirty_bass
09-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah, that`s the whole point here.
A lot of techno producers just make the same sound, over and over again.
Particularly a lot of the new kids, who are just emulating their heroes.

I try to approach music without any labels at all. I call everything I make techno, because for me, techno is progressive electronic music.

Breaks, Dark, Housey stuff, industrial stuff, commercial and trancey, whatever.

How can anyone stick to the same sound, and the same format again and again and again, I just don`t get it.

It is a small genre if you are just making and sticking to one tiny niche within it, but for me it is a music with no boundary.

Producers in techno who are diverse for me would be.

Underworld
and erm.
Innigo Kennedy
Marco Corola
even Marco Bailey tries new stuff.
Samuel L Sessions

erm other than that I can`t think of any, that`s not to say there aren`t that many.

The Overfiend
10-03-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm glad someone understood my point.
Mark, don't you have a poetry reading to go to? :lol:
You know exactly what I mean. But yeah you are the yang to my ying Adverse.

schlongfingers
10-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Johannes Heil

gumpy green
10-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Johannes Heilgood point.

heavy beats
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
I would have to go with a few of my favorites...

jesper dahlbeck (aka dj lenk, air frog, dk, hugg & pepp, the list goes on)

adam beyer

marco carola

cisco ferreira (aka the advent, mr.g, gflame, subjective, innersound, soul destroyaz)

crime
10-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Have to say, yet again, Youngman is my tip for the top with diversity at the moment... Great techno and electro trax under his own name, great electronica with his "Audible" project and another new project which is under wraps at the moment.. is also pretty hot on the mike, coming from NYC obviously helping matters... Keep an eye out for a new remix he has coming on the next scandinavia, ok, it's definitely not one for the 4/4 troopers, but musically, it's really accomplished...
The point is, it takes a lot more skill to put together a track with varied instrumentation, vocals and true melodies than to put together a 1 bar techno loop, and I wouldn't consider a producer who just makes a few different styles of techno as really that diverse IMO....
it all depends what you want, records that are nice and easy to mix and sound "Pumping" on a big rig, or something that really is musically different...

gumpy green
10-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Have to say, yet again, Youngman is my tip for the top with diversity at the moment... Great techno and electro trax under his own name, great electronica with his "Audible" project and another new project which is under wraps at the moment.. is also pretty hot on the mike, coming from NYC obviously helping matters... Keep an eye out for a new remix he has coming on the next scandinavia, ok, it's definitely not one for the 4/4 troopers, but musically, it's really accomplished...
The point is, it takes a lot more skill to put together a track with varied instrumentation, vocals and true melodies than to put together a 1 bar techno loop, and I wouldn't consider a producer who just makes a few different styles of techno as really that diverse IMO....
it all depends what you want, records that are nice and easy to mix and sound "Pumping" on a big rig, or something that really is musically different...any audio clip for me to check?

tioneb
10-03-2005, 12:53 PM
Rationnally talking paul mac has been the most diverse releasing stuff on label ranging from ongaku to warmp & coda, going through the "prime" styled labels.

Marco Carola (with his domino poject, but also on his earlier question b sides) is doing pretty well his minimal reconversion, though keeping stuck in the same formula once it works.

Beyer has done less than 5 records not sounding swedish compressed techno so i dont really take him as an example.

Beltram is quite varied though an obvious lack of taste hmmhmh Lets quote Luke Slater in the same feeling.

Except these people and a few other mantionned in this thread (Mills, Dahlback...) it is true techno producers stay in their own sound, but as a young producer, i think this is the hardest part to achieve : "make your tracks sound in a way everybody can identify its you who are producing it".
Whatever, as Adverse says, we all make techno.

To me, diversity is really more important in a dj set. A producer has to make his records coherent, create his "own sound" and is also limited with the gear he uses to produce. But a DJ only has his ears to chose what he can play, and in the amount of records he gets/buys he can try not to select the same style again and again.

SlavikSvensk
10-03-2005, 05:06 PM
i think adam beyer now mainly because of records like ignition key and older ones like conceiled project pattern 1-4. otherwise, point taken. back in the late 1990s i thought he was the most formulaic of the big swedish producers...

The Overfiend
10-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Paul Mac
Dirty Bass
Audio Injection
Oliver Ho

machina
10-03-2005, 10:57 PM
definately johannes heil is the top of the list for me, maybe also berkovi, shufflemaster, and speedy j (if take into account his whole career and not just the last 5 releases which are all pretty similar)

machina

machina
10-03-2005, 10:58 PM
i guess surgeon's pretty multi-faceted within a pretty distinct sound (how's that for a contradiction!) - but i'm sure at least some of you know what i mean...

machina

heavy beats
10-03-2005, 11:47 PM
oh yeah... eric prydz ;)

OriginalTechnobastard
14-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Yeah if you listen to the Hackers last album, that would give you something diverse. From minimal electro to good modern new romantic electro to rave techno to vocal heavy techno to weird experimental electro at the end. Thats diverse. So is the rest of the albums that came out of the goodlife catalog. I would say Youngsters can do diverse as well. I say most of the French camp have done lot of different things. You only have to check the Fanfare Ep on how you make great innovative diverse tracks.

tioneb
14-03-2005, 09:43 PM
MICHAEL JACKSON

from dead alive in "thriller" to little boys screamin in his bed

SlavikSvensk
14-03-2005, 09:56 PM
MICHAEL JACKSON

from dead alive in "thriller" to little boys screamin in his bed

no, the little boys are totally derivative...he was doing that same kind of stuff 10 years ago ;)

g
14-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Speedy J

Patrick DSP
14-03-2005, 11:02 PM

anyways..

LOL

i finaly strated reading this thread.
lol

Sunil
15-03-2005, 12:33 AM
Yeah if you listen to the Hackers last album, that would give you something diverse. From minimal electro to good modern new romantic electro to rave techno to vocal heavy techno to weird experimental electro at the end. Thats diverse. So is the rest of the albums that came out of the goodlife catalog. I would say Youngsters can do diverse as well. I say most of the French camp have done lot of different things. You only have to check the Fanfare Ep on how you make great innovative diverse tracks.

That's completely wrong. Hacker's album is not diverse, and I wouldn't class the Goodlife or associated producers, in general, to be diverse.. They're good, yes.. diverse? not really.

Also, the title track off "Fanfares" is basically Capricorn "20 hz" and Plastikman "Spastik" spliced together.. nothing innovative or diverse about it.

Sunil
15-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Have you checked out Hacker's 1st album by the way? That's a killer, probably a lot of the reason why I was dissapointed with the new one.

OriginalTechnobastard
15-03-2005, 04:41 PM

That's completely wrong. Hacker's album is not diverse, and I wouldn't class the Goodlife or associated producers, in general, to be diverse.. They're good, yes.. diverse? not really.

Also, the title track off "Fanfares" is basically Capricorn "20 hz" and Plastikman "Spastik" spliced together.. nothing innovative or diverse about it.
Ok but I am talking about the Ep as in whole. Three tracks and they all sound very different than each other. Don't you agree? Woo doesn't sound anything like Candy and Candy doesn't sound anything like Fanfare!
No I don't think I am wrong about Hacker's album. Here is my analysis of Hacker's album:
First track is heavy techno influenced vocal track
Third is more of his electro stuff with Miss Kittin
Fourth (I can't remember every single track and I'm listenning to Ferox live right now) is dark techno
5 Track is minimalist electro Snowflakes
6 Track is new romantic but futuristic track with Mt Sims
I think track 7 is electro-techno
Track 8 and 9 Rave theme techno
Track 10 is more experimental electro

There is 10 tracks and about 5 or 6 different styles, that to me is pretty diverse. I think Hacker's first album was the same(released in Goodlife)

There he tackled Techno, Detroit Techno, Hawtin style techno and electro-techno, even New Order!

I've think if you look at Kiko and Oxia they have their obvious styles (Italo-electro or techno in some cases, and Detroit Techno). Yes there might be a theme but there is still lot of diversity in those albums.
I seriously think you should give Hacker's album more of listen. It might not be your cup of tea, but its a very, very good album. If you look at his what fifty or so releases, you would see he has a diverse style. As one of Half of Black Ops to Miss Kittin stuff to minimal techno to turbo release to funk dvoid remix to horrorist remix to dancefloor killer stuff to his new album. I can go on. To look at those releases and not say he is not diverse is a mistake in my book. There are so many Techno people out there who stay at the same format, which can get pretty boring. But Hacker diffently is not one of them. Exact opposite. I don't think he can be any more diverse. Seriously what style hasn't he done? :eh:

Sunil
15-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Vitalic "Fanfares" wasn't a great record in my opinion, can't remember it all track by track, only that the long side was typical French, Daft Punk kind of sound.

You know the Hacker album very well. I listened a few times, but it didn't have the same effect as previous stuff by him, mainly because I'd heard it all before. He's a very good producer ,who is, by his own admission, putting a slant on styles (particularly 80's synth pop) that he likes. He hasn't struck me as too diverse an artist but in his defence he does make some great techno music, as opposed to just loops. Recently I've found his stuff a touch formulaic I have to say. I still like his sound but wouldn't mind to hear something a bit more forward thinking, or a break from the norm.

SlavikSvensk
15-03-2005, 06:57 PM
hacker has his own very distinct style, easy to recognize, but i think he's also a guy who plays around with his formula and doesn't just keep re-releasing the same loop repackaged...

OriginalTechnobastard
16-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I just wrote a detail reply to you Sunil but it didn't go through. Will follow later. By the way whats your favourite Hacker track and why?(Guessing Techno Sunset or tracks at the end of the melodies en soul?)

philipryan
16-03-2005, 07:01 PM
I suppose the obvious ones are people like Mark Broom, Carl Craig, Sterac and Luke Slater.
Surgeon can turn his hand to many styles as well... for me 'Balance' is one of the most complete techno 'albums' (in the traditional sense) I've heard. I really liked Johannes Heil's 'Illuminate the Planet' too... but for sheer multi-facetedness (?), I can't think of anyone better than Aphex Twin.

Zektor
16-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Definitely Paul Mac and Mark Broom :cool:

But you people are forgetting Claude Young (!!!)...from banging hard techno to soulful detroit beats!

OriginalTechnobastard
17-03-2005, 04:36 PM
Vitalic "Fanfares" wasn't a great record in my opinion, can't remember it all track by track, only that the long side was typical French, Daft Punk kind of sound.

You know the Hacker album very well. I listened a few times, but it didn't have the same effect as previous stuff by him, mainly because I'd heard it all before. He's a very good producer ,who is, by his own admission, putting a slant on styles (particularly 80's synth pop) that he likes. He hasn't struck me as too diverse an artist but in his defence he does make some great techno music, as opposed to just loops. Recently I've found his stuff a touch formulaic I have to say. I still like his sound but wouldn't mind to hear something a bit more forward thinking, or a break from the norm.
Vitalic was a great EP to me because:
Mainly because Candy was an asssoarer the other tracks were
Woo was soulful gameboy type synths but deep
Fanfare was a dreamy marching type sound

Which is diverse right? 3 tracks three different approaches
No I don't think its the French Daft Punk sound. Yes it is French Vitalic Techno sound but not House. Besides Homework had some Techno Tunes. There is 0 wrong with Daft Punk. They went poppy last time around a bit but they brought something different which is alot more then what we can say about some Techno artist. Main thing I can say about Vitalic is, if you want to bring a place alight, put that shit on. He is a ****kin legend. I mean didn't you say for harder heads check Manu Le Main remix. He also did some Acid Techno some mellow stuff and some trademark Vitalic metal techno and some great electro tracks.

Going back to the Hacker! Yes he is a great artist but if you don't like his new album fair enough. Maybe we see different things in it. 'He puts slant on 80's synth' Yep sure he is influenced by New Order, Depeche Mode, Front 242 but he mentions French Rave scene in 90's and Hardcore scene as his roots and what caused him to start developing his sound! Thats why you see dark undertones in his music, which is great. When he does 80's he does it with his trademark. That Mt Sims Track is nice. I really like good music no matter what the category(Only Electronic though :lol: ) I would say he totally changed his sound and gone completely different then what he has done before. Kind of like fukkinn Mozart in studio, put musical balance on Technology music, adding layers of song structure to it.

PS I love French Techno! I have done for years and look out for all the releases by them. I wasn't too keen on Caretta sound until couple of years ago when he massively improved his sound. Now! We'll he fukkin rocked it in DK011 and his album. I do think the sound French gang have is lot more innovative then lot of the Techno guys coming out with elite old school influence thing. At the end of day melody and funk has to be!

davethedrummer
18-03-2005, 10:12 PM
i like people having predictable styles
as much as i like diversity
i don't really care
i just buy the record if it's good
and i don't if it's not
then i mix them together in an order that i like
and that's about it.

sometimes too much diversity in an artist just gets confusing
like the rolling stones playing reggae or something

a bit naff

OriginalTechnobastard
19-03-2005, 11:24 PM
what you think of French Techno?

AcidTrash
20-03-2005, 02:12 AM
sorry but i can't get over how dumb this topic is.. it's techno for ffs.

multi faceted... if i stretch my imagination and this is after like 10 minutes of sincerely thinking about it and having inner turmoil with the fact that techno is realistically just techno and not a bunch of subgenres that make it sound more diverse than it is...

I'd have to agree.

Sunil
20-03-2005, 06:32 AM
PS I love French Techno!

Really? I wouldn't have guessed that at all :lol:

Ok, well let's just say the French are diverse within their field? I'd agree on that, however on a whole I don't regard them as producers who sway too much from the same style(s). You know, I'm not saying they have to be diverse or be wildly innovative, I love most of the French stuff regardless of how much they are pushing the envelope; for me they make great party tracks, which is enough :)

OriginalTechnobastard
21-03-2005, 05:12 PM
PS I love French Techno!

Really? I wouldn't have guessed that at all :lol:

Ok, well let's just say the French are diverse within their field? I'd agree on that, however on a whole I don't regard them as producers who sway too much from the same style(s). You know, I'm not saying they have to be diverse or be wildly innovative, I love most of the French stuff regardless of how much they are pushing the envelope; for me they make great party tracks, which is enough :)

OK Cowboy! Your aphex's favourite 2004 artist :lol:

Sunil
21-03-2005, 05:15 PM
OK Cowboy! Your aphex's favourite 2004 artist :lol:

hehe, yeah I'm doing well!
Wasn't into the whole avatar business before, but that picture cracks me up :lol:

tioneb
22-03-2005, 09:40 PM
For being French and then being able to follow easily whats done around i agree with Sunil when talking about techno, production-wise... Most of the producers keep stuck in the same formula they have though they can have thier own style...

The whole retro-gigolo trend has maybe spread too much in French producers, but actually this style isnt quite popular over here, all the producers are more famous in Germany, for example.....

Then talkinga bout DJs or electronic music, we have a really diverse scene : just look that two of the most intense movements are the disco filtered house and the hardcore spiral tribe "free party" movement

OriginalTechnobastard
22-03-2005, 10:01 PM
You being French doesn' t really mean anything on this topic tioneb :nono: ! It still doesn't clearify what he is saying. The point of the topic was multi-faceted producers, not the most innovative, but I can talk about that as well! You know? Besides Kiko who else does the retro-gigolo thing?, it was more of widespread thing! And Kiko is more talented then most of those bastards put together plus a kilo! To me they are pretty diverse as given example and past releases! You can sound totally shite doing things 'push the limit' way!! :lol: Its not all about the kid with the candy. or some shite like that!! :lol:

OriginalTechnobastard
22-03-2005, 11:05 PM
No offence! People can act more intune to music out of their country because its different but I just don't agree! It depends on your interest ;)

davethedrummer
22-03-2005, 11:57 PM

its french

Cranked
23-03-2005, 12:18 AM

its french

Haha . .

Sturn but fair :lol:

davethedrummer
23-03-2005, 12:49 AM

its french

that was not a racist dig at french music , just a joke , after all fench techno is french innt?
not my thing really

miss bass
23-03-2005, 01:06 AM
So instead of boom boom boom boom , its bon bon bon jour, bon bon bon jour ...

dan the acid man
23-03-2005, 02:31 AM
So instead of boom boom boom boom , its bon bon bon jour, bon bon bon jour ...

*sigh, groan* :doh: :lol:

OriginalTechnobastard
23-03-2005, 05:55 PM

its french

that was not a racist dig at french music , just a joke , after all fench techno is french innt?
not my thing really

Its French but not hard house :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==