View Full Version : set up question

eyes without a face
11-11-2002, 06:25 AM
right just a general set up question here i hope someone can answer for me:

say i had ready to set up

Pc

midi controller

mixer

monitors - wots difference between active and nearfield?

how would i connect this all up? i know the monitors come of the output of the mixer, but would i need an amp running in between the 2??? wot cables would i require for all this etc

could someone recommend some decent amps, mixers, monitors please aswell

thanks
Edited by: eyes without a face at: 11/10/02 12:28:13 pm

DJZeMig_L
11-11-2002, 09:21 PM
HTML Comments are not allowed

eyes without a face
11-11-2002, 10:20 PM
????

i presume something went wrong there

anyone else????

DJZeMig_L
12-11-2002, 12:09 AM
HTML Comments are not allowed

DJZeMig_L
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
damn' $#%$#%$$%

Controller MIDI OUT...PC MIDI IN

Mixer main out.... AMP Line IN, AMP speaker OUT... Speakers!

ACtive monitors - amps with they're own amp!

Passive..... monitors that need an external amp!

Nearfield monitors... generally used in studios for track mixing/ mastering... they are designed 2 have linear reprodution.. meaning they sound exactly like the original sound!! Most Hifi speakers add some sort of coloration 2 the sound.. like enhacing bass or treble .. thus fooling u and yer mixing (these are more towards music prodution)... nearfields should be evenly spaced 2 yer left and right... u should b in the exact middle at no more than 1-2m ... placed at face/ear level!! confortable level!!

Resonable setup :

Stanton RM3S + Spirit ABsolute 0 + sampson servo amp

Tha Shi* Setup :

Pioneer DJM600 + MAckie HR824

eyes without a face
12-11-2002, 12:50 AM
thanks alot mate!!!

but.... how do i connect my mixer to my pc? and can i use the mixer for controlling my software at all? i.e channels in cubase?

thanks for ur help

eyes without a face
12-11-2002, 12:54 AM
by the way i meant mixer as in mixing desk/board and not dj mixer, just realised!!!!

MARKEG
12-11-2002, 01:12 AM
You put a multiple output soundcard into your PC (usually between 8-10 outputs is good) and you route the sounds you make in your PC to different outputs of the sound card. Then you plug these outputs into some of the channels of a mixing desk. Also, if you have any keyboard, you plug the output of the keyboard into some of the other channels on the Mixer. Then you mix the sound of them all together using this mixer and send the output of the mixer to an amp with speakers attached. You can also record this output back into the PC using the soundcard INPUTS if you so wish.

eyes without a face
12-11-2002, 10:11 PM
mark youve answered by question perfectly there, cheers bud

with regards to 8 - 10 ouput cards, any recommendations?

and also, i knowq i could route 8 channels out of cubase into the 8 channels on mixer, but could i do the same with something like fruity loops?

and i presume its still possible to listen to normal wav etc thru the the speakers even tho they run thru mixer? jsut say a normal wav or mp3 song

cheers, alot of help!

278d7e64a374de26f==