PDA

View Full Version : middle aged djs........

audioinjection
10-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Read this from trackitdown.net, I found it interesting........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sven Vath Calls Last Orders for Middle Ranking, Middle Aged DJs :: Skrufff.com Reported by Trackitdown on 05-03-2005

Germany’s legendary superstar DJ Sven Vath chatted to Skrufff this week and sparked controversy by claiming most 30-something DJs should find other careers.

“If you haven’t made it as a DJ by the time you’re 35 you should quit,” Sven suggested, “Because the young ones are waiting.”

“What I mean by ‘making it’ is making it to the big time,” the 40 year old techno pioneer explained. “What I see happening right now is that the
market for middle class (middle level- Ed) DJs in particular is diminishing; the top class DJs and the low class DJs will still be around, but it’s going to be increasingly hard for the middle class DJs to survive,” he predicted.

“If you’re a middle class DJ and you’re 33 or 34 years old and you can’t see the light at the end if the tunnel, ie that something is going to explode in the next two or three years, then you should think about having another job as well,” he added.

As well as DJing, producing and running various record labels, the massively successful star runs Ibiza superclub Cocoon and has also recently opened a Cocoon club in his hometown of Frankfurt, and stressed that he believes diversification is essential for DJs hoping to survive.

“Some DJs out there are only DJs and it’s important to do other things as well as DJing,” he advised.

“If you’re only DJing the day will come when it all finishes and- phew, it’s not that easy. This is my opinion,” he concluded.

Sven Vath in the Mix- the Sound of the Fifth Season, is out now on Cocoon Recordings.

http://www.cocoonclub.net

Jonty Skrufff Skrufff.com)

eyes without a face
10-03-2005, 10:05 PM
interesting

holotropik
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Came across this the other day......

made me think!

bold but necessary statement to shake-up a few trees and let the rotten fruit fall. its a big call though and will get a few peeps a bit angry at Sven.

mh
11-03-2005, 08:59 AM
don't care about numbers, it's all about how old you are in your mind.. :)

loopdon
11-03-2005, 09:16 AM
sven is getting on himself. imagine, i in afew years 17 year olds will be celebrating 50 year old djs birthdays, coz there's no way they will retire.

kinda like the rolling-stones-phenomenon.

Oracle
11-03-2005, 11:14 AM
“If you haven’t made it as a DJ by the time you’re 35 you should quit,” Sven suggested, “Because the young ones are waiting.”

Don't agree with this notion at all. Age is completely irrelevant. I don't see anything wrong in somebody take up DJing for this first time at the age of 5 or 50!

Anyone with enough determination has a chance of "making it" in the music industry (whatever that means!), but surely this opportunity is open to everyone, no matter what their age or how long they've been playing.

Internal Error Records
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
this just proves that djs (like many humans) just arent really that smart.

Svens theory is entirely based on the notion that middle age djs want to make it 'big'.

his theory totaly discounts the fact that manymiddle age djs have families and real day jobs that pay much more money than even beign a 'big' dj would pay. i dont know any big djs with a 401k plan. and i like mine.

his statement was a foolish as sayign 'if you are a golf player and havent made it to the big time you might as well step aside'.

wow i might not goto his party in miami now :cool:

TechMouse
11-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Perhaps Sven doesn't realise that some people do it just for a love of it, rather than as a career.

I agree, the idea of someone aged 30-40 playing the odd gig, sitting around waiting for their "big break" to come is a little sad. I'm not sure how realistic this scenario is however.

TechMouse
11-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Clarification: I mean someone who has been doing it for years, rather than someone new to it. If you're new to it at any age... enjoy! Good luck.

drift9
11-03-2005, 02:57 PM
his theory totaly discounts the fact that manymiddle age djs have families and real day jobs that pay much more money than even beign a 'big' dj would pay.

i think that's kind of missing the point he was trying to make. he's not addressng the djs with day jobs. he's addressing the ones who without. he's saying that if you're that middle aged dj supporting your family on a mid-tier career alone you should consider getting another source of income if you're not going to bust ahead of the pack. doesn't sound like bad advice to me. but to each their own...

loopdon
11-03-2005, 04:30 PM
i guess he's right in a well and he does now the bizz. i think he's just tring to be realistic.

i still wonder about the fact lots of our stars are so far in age from the one's listening?

i wouldn't retire either coz who should pay my rent (if i was in that situation, that is, what else should i do) but isn't that still a little odd?

SlavikSvensk
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
isn't he talking about middle-of-the-road djs who make the cash but have lost the plot?

still...the older i get, the less i care if someone plays or not. if i don't like them, i just won't go see them.

loopdon
11-03-2005, 07:36 PM
i guess he's right in a way and he does now the bizz. i think he's just trying to be realistic.

i still wonder about the fact lots of our stars are so far in age from the one's listening?

i wouldn't retire either coz who should pay my rent (if i was in that situation, that is, what else should i do) but isn't that still a little odd?

loopdon
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
sorry, wuz just going to correct some evil spelling mistakes...

The Overfiend
11-03-2005, 08:16 PM
ego if you ask me

dirty_bass
11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah, who is he to say what people should do with their lives, not everyone does it to be the top earner.
The arrogant fop haired fool.

eyes without a face
11-03-2005, 08:48 PM
quite a silly and, ironically, niave thing to say from one of the oldest, still gigging djs around...

success can come at any age, doesnt Vath watch Xfactor??!! ;)

Tyrisia
11-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Well I disagree in that a local dj I know who worked in the same two clubs here on the Isle of Man for about 20 years, and must be in his mid forty's now, got a big break about four years ago whilst warming up for Judge Jules. Jule's manager liked what he was doin and put him on their agency.

This guy plays prog and trance, but musical taste aside, this agency put alot of work his way, all over the world, and now the dude's got his own national dance music show on the island's best (there's only two) radio station, and still dj's all over. And he was actually sayin to me once this started kickin off that he was past it etc, but my reply was you're playin the tunes and people like it, so go with it.

Ok the guy was and still is a posty as well, but in my eye the guy's break came along, regardless of his day job status (he could ave been sittin round doin nothin all day and still played well before Jules that night).

Not everyone makes it in accounting, or art, or filmmaking, or acting, or any other profession really, and alot of people are happy being middle of the road anyways, horses for courses.

Anyways, music is timeless innit, so why should age come into the equation for the performers? It just takes good taste, a bit o' nouse, and some hard work imho.

And I'm only 27 anyways, so I'm not in denial yet...

at all...

honestly....

:lol:

Dustin Zahn
11-03-2005, 10:07 PM
You guys are all f*cking hostile. Take a minute, read what he is saying aloud and think about it for another minute.

Sven is simply saying that there is more to life than DJing. He's also saying that some people need to let dreams die. He's not saying "Quit DJing and being a fan of the music" altogether, he's just saying you should start focusing on a backup plan, which if you ask me is some good advice judging the current state of the industry. He could have summed it up easier and avoided confusion by saying "Middle-aged DJs should consider getting their priorities straight."

“If you’re a middle class DJ and you’re 33 or 34 years old and you can’t see the light at the end if the tunnel, ie that something is going to explode in the next two or three years, then you should think about having another job as well,” he added.
I think what he is trying to say about the youth is a couple of different things. They have new ideas and different ways of looking at things. It's also obvious that the younger generation obviously has more time to play with since it's so young in their lives. Add to the fact that if you mess up a dream or get caught in a slump when you're young, it's a lot easier to pull out of than when you're 35+ and have a family to worry about.

What Sven is talking about is no different than any other hobbies in life. Younger males and females always want to be sports stars, astronauts, political figures, etc. as they go through school but as time goes on most realize this just isn't possible. I know a ton of 20-40 year old "Rockers" who are still trying to make it big or rely on music and it's kind of sad. People need to start accepting that for 99% of us, things like this need to be a hobby and if you make it big...you're extremely lucky.

I reckon that's the problem with the techno industry to this day, everyone is too preoccupied with making the next techno crossover anthem so they can start playing at Awakenings, Fabric, or whatever the hell else is a popular party destination at the moment. It has to be a fun hobby because if you're not enjoying the music then the outcome will be shit. I get emails and IMs everyday from people who complain and are upset because they can't make a huge track or get another record deal, that shouldn't be the goal for an artist! I'm busting my ass with the music thing right now but I'm also smart enough to keep it as a hobby and have a backup plan so I can raise a family or do whatever I want to do in the future.

Internal Error Records
11-03-2005, 10:54 PM
in the mid 1990's there was a 65 year old hardcore dj in toronto. everyone called him 'Grandpa-Hardcore'.

we need more of him.

The benefit of Svens statements is that he has a certain perspective.
The negative of Svens statements is that he has a certain perspective.

moving along. . .

dirty_bass
12-03-2005, 12:26 AM
When you give up your dreams, something dies inside you.

Dustin Zahn
12-03-2005, 12:39 AM
True, but that's life. I'm not backing up Sven Vath 100% here (I personally can't stand anything is he about), but I think his message is being misunderstood here. If you're 35 with a family and/or anybody that relies on you...it's not fair to them that you're still trying to chase a nearly unachievable dream. My feelings are, if you have a family you better be prepared to make some sacrifices and raise it properly.

Another possibility, there may have been a lot more to this interview than what was included. It's not uncommon for the media to pick apart sentences and string them together to stir up the general public.

More important than anything, why does anyone really care what Sven has to say? Unless he was a big influence it shouldn't really matter.

Tyrisia
12-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm busting my ass with the music thing right now but I'm also smart enough to keep it as a hobby and have a backup plan so I can raise a family or do whatever I want to do in the future.

Yep, I agree with that, I've got a backup plan too, with my qualification in IT I could get a job tomorrow (in fact I've got a job, but not in IT as I don't want responsibility, but that's another story).

And yes I agree in that I personally wouldn't (and haven't been) happy with no job, as I've had time off work just to make music and got absolutely f@## all done, either through being skint, or having too much time on me hands.

But the bloke's sweeping and judgemental statements take in no regard for personal circumstances, or the individual who's reading his "enlightened words". No arguments, the guy knows the business, but only from his own perspective.

Maybe he can see things deteriorating (or changing) and internally wishes he'd done something else, but that's pure speculation.

dirty_bass
12-03-2005, 12:43 AM
It`s really none of his business though is it.

djshiva
12-03-2005, 12:59 AM
where has this buutmunch been? most of us already have other jobs.

i didn't start djing until i was 23, so i will continue as long as i like thankyouverymuch.

i get enough people from the rest of the world telling me that i am a loser at 33, i don't need some eurodjpants telling me the same thing.

djshiva
12-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Perhaps Sven doesn't realise that some people do it just for a love of it, rather than as a career.

I agree, the idea of someone aged 30-40 playing the odd gig, sitting around waiting for their "big break" to come is a little sad. I'm not sure how realistic this scenario is however.

that's really the key, innit? i have been spinning for 10 years and i don't "wait" for things to happen. you gotta make it happen. and the fact is that it's all pretty fun, so hey...gonna keep doing it as long as being on the decks makes me happy.

and i still get carded for cigarettes at 33, if that means anything... ;)

Sunil
12-03-2005, 11:19 AM
ego if you ask me

Yes, that's Sven.
Maybe he should give up himself, although maybe he's hanging around to see if Alter Ego will help him produce something sometime soon.

oldbugger
12-03-2005, 03:38 PM
complete shite that from sven.

makes absolutely no difference at all how old anybody is IMO.
if your 80 and you enjoy dj'ing why does anyone have the right to tell you to quit :dontevengothere: ..

complete nonsense.

j_s
12-03-2005, 04:13 PM

The pain of attatchment to things we may never achieve?

dirty_bass
12-03-2005, 04:51 PM

Things only have the power you give them.

Internal Error Records
12-03-2005, 04:53 PM
im ready to move on from the rediculousness of his statements, he clearly isnt objective.

What I am wondering is does he also mean that middle age djs shouldnt buy his records or cds either? :twisted:

j_s
13-03-2005, 08:56 PM

Things only have the power you give them.

by aspiring to / desiring something, surely that gives the something power over us...

is it possible to achieve without ambition? is all effort is merely an attempt to satisfy our own desires? the thought that all actions are inherently selfish isn't a particularly nice one. c'est la vie eh.

dirty_bass
13-03-2005, 09:41 PM
hehe, as much as I like high philosophy, I think dreams and ambitions are the thing that push you forward.
Without them, where is the incentive to get better.

And yeah, all middle aged DJ`s who should give up if they don`t make it by a certian time, should stop buying svens records.

fresh_an_funky_design
13-03-2005, 11:58 PM
he didn't say you should quit dj'n he's saying you should have a back up plan as well. which is a sensible idea

dirty_bass
14-03-2005, 12:07 AM
Read this from trackitdown.net, I found it interesting........

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sven Vath Calls Last Orders for Middle Ranking, Middle Aged DJs :: Skrufff.com Reported by Trackitdown on 05-03-2005

Germany’s legendary superstar DJ Sven Vath chatted to Skrufff this week and sparked controversy by claiming most 30-something DJs should find other careers.

“What I mean by ‘making it’ is making it to the big time,” the 40 year old techno pioneer explained. “What I see happening right now is that the
market for middle class (middle level- Ed) DJs in particular is diminishing; the top class DJs and the low class DJs will still be around, but it’s going to be increasingly hard for the middle class DJs to survive,” he predicted.

As well as DJing, producing and running various record labels, the massively successful star runs Ibiza superclub Cocoon and has also recently opened a Cocoon club in his hometown of Frankfurt, and stressed that he believes diversification is essential for DJs hoping to survive.

“Some DJs out there are only DJs and it’s important to do other things as well as DJing,” he advised.

“If you’re only DJing the day will come when it all finishes and- phew, it’s not that easy. This is my opinion,” he concluded.

Sven Vath in the Mix- the Sound of the Fifth Season, is out now on Cocoon Recordings.

http://www.cocoonclub.net

Jonty Skrufff Skrufff.com)[/b]

dirty_bass
14-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Actually, reading it again, it sounds like fear from someone who think he is gonna be replaced.
What does he think the high level DJ`s will last forever, and the low level ones will stay that way.
Or will the low level local DJ`s suddenly become top level Sasha types, without going through the mid level?

He`s a TF as william burroughs would say.

loopdon
14-03-2005, 01:37 AM
im ready to move on from the rediculousness of his statements, he clearly isnt objective.

What I am wondering is does he also mean that middle age djs shouldnt buy his records or cds either? :twisted:

probably not, then ;)

loopdon
14-03-2005, 01:39 AM
he didn't say you should quit dj'n he's saying you should have a back up plan as well. which is a sensible idea

i think that's the point.

DJ Becka
18-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Actually, reading it again, it sounds like fear from someone who think he is gonna be replaced.
What does he think the high level DJ`s will last forever, and the low level ones will stay that way.
Or will the low level local DJ`s suddenly become top level Sasha types, without going through the mid level?

He`s a TF as william burroughs would say.

That's what I was thinking when I read that....maybe he should be the one to retire ;)

davethedrummer
18-03-2005, 10:05 PM
oh god!
sven is just letting the cat out of the bag really
it's just an extremely paranoid statement saying
" this town aint big enough for the both of us"
dustin you did an admirable job defending his corner
but sorry sven you are wrong , you are paranoid , and yeah you'll probably be replaced someday..... by my son????

i'm 35 i live off my djing because i simply do not have time to do anything else
i write fewer tracks these days because of djing commitments
and i play parties with 2/3000 people in south america when i only play to 2/300 people in other countries......

am i a middle class dj??
i really couldn't give a ........

but like any sensible human being i am aware that my djing existence is finite , i have a family to support , and i do have plans for the future that don't involve djing....

but sven , naff off and get old gracefully mate !
there's a whole world of opportunity out there for the taking , switching jobs is not impossible for anyone in their 20-40s , but maybe it is for sven
and maybe that's what he's really saying.

DJ Becka
19-03-2005, 12:39 PM
oh god!
sven is just letting the cat out of the bag really
it's just an extremely paranoid statement saying
" this town aint big enough for the both of us"
dustin you did an admirable job defending his corner
but sorry sven you are wrong , you are paranoid , and yeah you'll probably be replaced someday..... by my son????

i'm 35 i live off my djing because i simply do not have time to do anything else
i write fewer tracks these days because of djing commitments
and i play parties with 2/3000 people in south america when i only play to 2/300 people in other countries......

am i a middle class dj??
i really couldn't give a ........

but like any sensible human being i am aware that my djing existence is finite , i have a family to support , and i do have plans for the future that don't involve djing....

but sven , naff off and get old gracefully mate !
there's a whole world of opportunity out there for the taking , switching jobs is not impossible for anyone in their 20-40s , but maybe it is for sven
and maybe that's what he's really saying.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sven isnt the only person I've heard comments like this from.....well-similar comments.....and I'm not going to name names on here-but I really am starting to think that some of these so-called 'bigger' artists are paranoid that somelike like me-or anyone else in the industy-is going to steal their bread and butter one day....

Maybe they should be scared though....there are plenty of other artists out there that dont have the $10,000+ pricetag that some of these guys do-that are just as good, if not better than them-and I think some of the promoters out there are starting to realize that......

Aside from that though, I definitely think it's good to have a 'backup' plan-something to fall back on in case things didnt work out or something else came up....no matter what age you are.....

TechMouse
21-03-2005, 10:11 AM
Ah, what an omen. A clear sign from the heavens that you should keep DJing, if ever there was one.

djshiva
22-03-2005, 02:29 AM
Ah, what an omen. A clear sign from the heavens that you should keep DJing, if ever there was one.

well, at the very least it means i could probably keep going til 40, and none would be the wiser... ;)

TechMouse
22-03-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd be very interested to know what Sven's back-up plan was, on the off-chance that he hadn't had the luck he did.

I've yet to meet a (professional) DJ or producer who hasn't attributed some amount of their success to at least a little blind luck, (meeting the right people, being in the right place at the right time etc.), and when I do I'll show you a rather arrogant man (or woman).

Possibly he could have replaced Rutger Hauer in the Guiness adverts...

278d7e64a374de26f==