PDA

View Full Version : Proffesional mastering

Barely Human
18-05-2003, 03:32 AM
Does anyone get proffesional masterer's to master their tracks? Are they worth the money? Does anyone know of any decent mastering firms that wont cost an arm and a leg?

MARKEG
19-05-2003, 12:06 AM
be careful man

most of these guys master to 'cd'

check with your cutting guy first....

(in fact most of the time, get in right yourself and just leave it to the cutting geezer to polish it of with his nice exensive cutting room eq/comps).

lawrie immersion would write you pages and pages about this subject (christ i've had some serious lectures from him.. hehehehe) but unfortunately he doesnt check this forum :cry:

Adverse
20-05-2003, 03:06 AM
:(

Patrick DSP
24-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Every track of mine that has been pressed so far, I have had nothing but compliments from the Mastering Houses/Cutting Houses. With comments like "It is already mastered already, we don't need to touch it” So, I'd like to think that I know a thing or two. (I know, it sounds like I'm bragging, but I just wanted to post some credentials first.)

Anywho, I'd say yes, master a bit on your own. Save the coin. (My god I just took business away from me hahaha). However, just be careful, there are a lot of mastering packages/finalizers out there that sound great but actually make your track sounds like shit once it hits vinyl. So watch out.

Mastering takes time and experience. It's like and art with some rules that you should follow. But don't expect mastering to make your shitty mix downed track to sound like the next Compound.

A badly mixed downed track is just that. And no compressor, limiter, or EQ'ing can fix it that much once you've dumped it down to two channels (left and Right).

anywho, as mark pointed out, you can read books and books and books on this shit.

Drop me a line if you need a hand, anytime
-Patrick DSP
www.patrickdsp.com

Adverse
24-05-2003, 04:10 PM
all class. pat is great super friendly and has helped me many times over.

Barely Human
30-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Cheers for the advice guy's :D

278d7e64a374de26f==