PDA

View Full Version : The next big thing???

Barely Human
14-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Over the last few years, nothing has changed the production world more than the introduction of VST. Is there going to be anything coming which will be as big a leap as VST in the near future?? What do you think will see happening in the production world? Are hardware's days numbered?
Is surround mixing ever going to take off? Is surround mixing viable in dance music? Are wireless studios going to be here in a few years? Or maybe working on collaberations over the net will be just as easy as if you are in the same studio??

Im really exited to see what the future will hold...

Roll on the future :cool:

Jimfish
14-03-2005, 01:55 AM
analogue hardware with vst frontends would be cool

Jimfish
14-03-2005, 01:57 AM
a nice analogue mixer that you plugin to you pooter via firewire would be cool, kind of like the onyx except having the signal flow go two ways.. and it would be able to replace the mixer in say cubase or logic automatically and use its own analogue eqs etc.. that would be cool

Jimfish
14-03-2005, 01:57 AM
and you would be able to use vsts as send return effects on the analogue mixer through firewire :)

Ritzi Lee
14-03-2005, 07:46 AM
analogue hardware with vst frontends would be cool

Yes.
More a choice then a substitution.

Anyway i'm little excited about the developments in hardware networking like m-Lan. Ok it's not perfected yet, but like any system it's in need of a testing period.

Ritzi Lee
14-03-2005, 07:47 AM
a nice analogue mixer that you plugin to you pooter via firewire would be cool, kind of like the onyx except having the signal flow go two ways.. and it would be able to replace the mixer in say cubase or logic automatically and use its own analogue eqs etc.. that would be cool

Ckeck out the Mackie Onyx firewire series.
Thought they provided fully audio interface capabilities.

Ritzi Lee
14-03-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm still very much charmed about the huge soundquality / edit mixing capabilities of the old Mackie d8b console.

detfella
14-03-2005, 10:48 AM
next big thing hmmm

i think it will be the way in which we control the sounds

RDR
14-03-2005, 11:23 AM
I'm still very much charmed about the huge soundquality / edit mixing capabilities of the old Mackie d8b console.

man i loved that mixer when i used it. the EQ and the FAT channel were soooo nice!

you can pick em up for about 2500 now, well worth the cash.

IMHO - the things that i think are will change are

Human Interface - controllers that behave better than now.
Better emulations of Analogue.
Greater Bit depth in audio files (64-128 bit true)
Consolidation in the market - (players buying each other)
The minaturisation PC components is a major factor. (How long before we begin to see computers that consist of a touch screen monitor and nothing else?(i know about the apple g5 screen thingy...) The Neko computer workstation in my book is a rip off, if the idea takes off it should become much cheaper...In other words, the computer as a dedicated music workstation (after all, the x-box is a games machine...)

Truly unbreakable anti-piracy measures.

The last one is that most important in my book (for obvious reasons..im :evil: ) Mostly i would like to buy the programs knowing that i really am getting a decent product that has been researched and will get decent regular updates.

Jay Pace
16-03-2005, 09:51 AM
I collaborate remotely with a guy I met on a course.

He is a bass guitarist, and makes all kinds of crazy basslines which he sends me as midi files, which I can then use in shared compositions.

Broadband means you can send midi ideas back and forth in seconds, then realise and master those ideas and send them back as mp3.

Which is dead good.

RDR
16-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I collaborate remotely with a guy I met on a course.

He is a bass guitarist, and makes all kinds of crazy basslines which he sends me as midi files, which I can then use in shared compositions.

Broadband means you can send midi ideas back and forth in seconds, then realise and master those ideas and send them back as mp3.

Which is dead good.

Yeah man, we ought to start some collabs here.

ill start a new topic...

Jimfish
16-03-2005, 10:56 AM
ypou should try using that rocket network thing then..

ritzi: im pretty sure the onyx is only input :(

RDR
16-03-2005, 11:03 AM

Rocket network collapsed last year.

and the onyx brings back a stereo pair from the PC... :(

wish it did more...

that would be cool.

audioinjection
16-03-2005, 05:51 PM
how about a roland tr909 vst

that would own

Ritzi Lee
16-03-2005, 07:16 PM
how about a roland tr909 vst

that would own

I think the 909 module of rebirth is till now the closest replication of the TR909.

But last weekend I had a listen again to the real thing.
There's much to happen if you want to approach that particular sound...

Ritzi Lee
16-03-2005, 07:19 PM

ok...

yeah, i didn't got much informed on the specifications presented on the mackie website...

John Ferraris
18-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Nwtworking studios over broadband... imagine being able to use another studios hardware and fx over some special digital trickery... or collaberating on a tune in realtime with someone in a different country... etc. etc.

Apex Beat
18-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Its called time and space compression, something which is ever charactorising the world in which we live in due to technological advance. But I think we need to be careful, nothing is better than getting in the studio with someone and playing around with whatever over a cup of tea and a smoke :rambo: In my case the 'studio' is either mine or my mates bedroom but still... !

I think personally, I'd like to see hardware which can completely remove elements of the track i.e vocals or whatever. Especially for DJ use, I suppose this can be done to an extent with laptop sets, but it would be nice if mixers advance to faciliate live remixes and or whatever. Mixers maybe with digitial interfaces and LCD screens but with faders and knobs for that 'hands on' feel with better samples and effects onboard and assignable midi-controls so you can hook up a laptop, shut the lid and completely use the mixer and intergrate the aspects of cubase, ableton or protools with physical vinyl or whatever. Apparently theres a new Xone mixer coming out that acheives some of these things, but I guess we're gonna have wait a while for shit like that at a affordable price + with a universial nature.

Barely Human
18-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Its called time and space compression, something which is ever charactorising the world in which we live in due to technological advance. But I think we need to be careful, nothing is better than getting in the studio with someone and playing around with whatever over a cup of tea and a smoke :rambo: In my case the 'studio' is either mine or my mates bedroom but still... !

I think personally, I'd like to see hardware which can completely remove elements of the track i.e vocals or whatever. Especially for DJ use, I suppose this can be done to an extent with laptop sets, but it would be nice if mixers advance to faciliate live remixes and or whatever. Mixers maybe with digitial interfaces and LCD screens but with faders and knobs for that 'hands on' feel with better samples and effects onboard and assignable midi-controls so you can hook up a laptop, shut the lid and completely use the mixer and intergrate the aspects of cubase, ableton or protools with physical vinyl or whatever. Apparently theres a new Xone mixer coming out that acheives some of these things, but I guess we're gonna have wait a while for shit like that at a affordable price + with a universial nature.

That is a really good idea actually, say like a cd that acts as a multitrack, so you could just take out certain parts when mixing....

holotropik
18-03-2005, 12:01 PM
the next big thing?

the realisation that music can't be made to a formula.

/and...will people stop talking about that Xone mixer!!...i am sick of getting a fat over that thing Hawtin devised!! I so want one :(

detfella
18-03-2005, 12:56 PM
maybe this : http://www.bath.ac.uk/pr/releases/replicating-machines.htm

j_s
18-03-2005, 03:59 PM
maybe this : http://www.bath.ac.uk/pr/releases/replicating-machines.htm

what the fck!
no more vsts for me if that ever gets off the ground!
hope it's not just a flash in the pan.

278d7e64a374de26f==