PDA

View Full Version : I've found a miracle for cleaning records

MARKEG
14-03-2005, 10:42 PM
This subject was brought up a while ago and at the time I answered 'Soap and Water'.

Well I read an article on the net today about records and stylus etc and I've finally found an absolute miracle for record cleaning:

Surgical Spirit and Cotton Wool pads - all available at Boots.

Just thought I'd share it. This has blown me away, it really is a miracle cure for dirty records!!!!

Hakka
15-03-2005, 02:25 PM
This subject was brought up a while ago and at the time I answered 'Soap and Water'.

Well I read an article on the net today about records and stylus etc and I've finally found an absolute miracle for record cleaning:

Surgical Spirit and Cotton Wool pads - all available at Boots.

Just thought I'd share it. This has blown me away, it really is a miracle cure for dirty records!!!!

Soundfixation uses "vinyl cleaner" from HMV. Only £2.50 for this squirty stuff and he said it's perfect.

Cleaning records and keeping them in shape is a must. Worst thing of all is dust/dirt build up and a record skipping...

Yoshimitsu
15-03-2005, 02:49 PM
ive never cleaned my records :shock:

anode
15-03-2005, 02:51 PM
1/2 metho : 1/2 distilled water

or

1/3 metho : 2/3 distilled water

doesnt matter too much...

piginabush
15-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I usually just rub em on my jumper/t-shirt before slapping them on the decks :roll:

alsynthe
15-03-2005, 06:33 PM
ive used petrol lighter fluid or surgical spirit for ages works a treat!!!

Busho
15-03-2005, 06:43 PM
I usually just rub em on my jumper/t-shirt before slapping them on the decks :roll:

yeah innit :lol:

or if i find thers a lof of hiss at the begining of the tune i roll a bit of blu-tac over it :lol:

dan the acid man
15-03-2005, 07:22 PM
its smells of hospitals though :pale: :lol:

Hakka
16-03-2005, 10:19 AM
ive never cleaned my records :shock:

mate you got to look after your vinyl.

I had one record that for some reason had a lot of dust on it. The needle picked up all this and towards where I was going to cue, the needle just slipped and fell all the way off the track. Very embarrasing. The sound quality got bad as the dust built up. I felt a cunt, and now clean all my records... never get any problems now.

It's best to be safe than sorry.

nihilist
16-03-2005, 03:06 PM
i wouldnt use cotton wool it leaves little fibres better off using a soft cloth

Mindful
16-03-2005, 08:31 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

MangaFish
16-03-2005, 10:34 PM
i wash them up the same way i would my dirty dishes (no word of a lie!)

doc12inch
17-03-2005, 11:39 AM
i clean em if they need cleaing or if i lend em to one of my mates who has dirty hands haha.

also i tend not to touch the actual record that much - i just touch the outside if at all.

Apex Beat
17-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Theres a few obvious things that you can do to prevent dirty records. Obviously washing your hands before you mix, never leave a vinyl out longer than it needs to be, I'm always suprised if I'm ****ed and leave the things on the decks over night, next morning they're totally covered in shit. Statics a right bastard!

Buying one of those vinyl brush things (got mine from HMV), just before you cue up hold the brush over the vinyl whilst the deck is turning, gets quite a lot of dust of for little time and effort. Also having your needles in good condition helps because they cut through the dust. ****ing exspensive though, I use concords and change the tips every year, 40 quid a pop!

Dabble
17-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Baby Wipes

Yep, a packet of baby wipes will clean around 150 12" records & you can buy them cheaply in any chemist for 60/70p.

I swear by them & they do the job just fine. No need for expensive record cleaning products.

piginabush
17-03-2005, 11:21 PM
also try not to spill beer on them when you are playing out (which I have done) and also try not to let your fag ash drop off on them either (which I have also done!!!)

Barely Human
18-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Dont skin up resin and touch your vinyl. The amount of times in the past i used to play a track, for it to jump because of a lump or resin stuck in the grooves :doh:

MangaFish
18-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Dont skin up resin and touch your vinyl. The amount of times in the past i used to play a track, for it to jump because of a lump or resin stuck in the grooves :doh:

hehehe

Hakka
19-03-2005, 11:13 AM
I'd be careful with what you put on your vinyl chemical wise. Surely a vinyl will react with something and perhaps melt it or mess it up?

I stand by the vinyl cleaner at HMV. Can't go wrong.

Dj_Tyronnster
14-07-2005, 09:32 AM
I used some solution from HMV in a blue bottle and then a static wipe once it is cleaned,

alsynthe
14-07-2005, 10:34 AM
all vinyl cleaner is, is an alocoholic cleaning solution. ur better of just goin to boots and buying surgical spirit for next to nothing from there

alsynthe
14-07-2005, 10:35 AM
all vinyl cleaner is, is an alocoholic cleaning solution. ur better of just goin to boots and buying surgical spirit for next to nothing from there

Dj_Tyronnster
14-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Sound will get the missus to get me some

Whats best thing to use for wipin them

alsynthe
14-07-2005, 10:54 AM
a dry cloth with no bits that fall off, cotton woll mite work, i use these dry wipes for computer screens, u need to make the clothes are lint free or ur vinyl will end up full of fibres

Eddie
14-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Got some swanky lens cleaners at work, reckon i should grab a few as my records are dirty as ****!

DJsmallpaul
14-07-2005, 06:58 PM

That rings a bell :doh:

curly
08-08-2005, 10:16 PM
hot rocks from dirt bar has ruinined many a great tune. As I have got older i have leart the answer, don't smoke the shit

MARK NEENAN
08-08-2005, 10:24 PM
http://www.expatshopping.coop/images/household/flashwipes.jpg

You can't beat flash wipes! I had a really old fog area record i cherished and it was absolutely ****ed! One wipe with a flash wipe and it is just like it's been pressed at the factory! Sparkling! ;)

:clap: Fair shout to flash! :lol:

dan the acid man
08-08-2005, 10:39 PM
or baby wipes.

but its just the ame as washing em in washing up liquid, always worked for me

veezee
13-08-2005, 04:02 AM
I like to use the cloth that is used for cleaning glasses. If it dosnt scratch the glass, it is surely not going to scratch your records :)

Jay

eyes without a face
13-08-2005, 09:30 AM
I'd be careful with what you put on your vinyl chemical wise. Surely a vinyl will react with something and perhaps melt it or mess it up?

err unless your planning on cleaning them with acid of some kind i think you'l be fine

278d7e64a374de26f==