PDA

View Full Version : VST Automation on Midi tracks

neilried
17-03-2005, 10:57 AM
Instead of using loops I have made in FL or Reason in acid, Ive been trying to create my tunes using only midi tracks and VSTs/drum machines, getting good results, much better and cleared sound over the old way.

BUT it seems that you cant use FX automation on midi tracks like you can on audio so now my stuff sounds way cleaner than before but become more monotonus again. Cover to cover on the manual and unless I missed something then there really doesnt appear to be a way to do this in Acid - DOH!!!

Does anyone know what options Ive got for a host that can do this? Obviously the likes of logic and cubase can do this (but I dont have them) got a copy of ableton bundled with my sound card though.... can that do VST automation on Midi tracks?

messyfuture
17-03-2005, 12:58 PM
you could just bounce your midi tracks to wav and process them that way

i dont use acid but you must be able to do that

neilried
17-03-2005, 01:10 PM
you could just bounce your midi tracks to wav and process them that way

i dont use acid but you must be able to do that

You can and thats how Ive done it in the past but you loose shed loads of quality when you do, things loose their space and the whole mix becomes muddy. So Ive been trying to avoid rending it to a wav file until the tracks finished and then doing the whole lot as one wav file. Maybe Im going about it the wrong way?!?

Its probably a flaw/limitation of acid 4 and am almost positive that it cant be done with the config I have which is why I think I need to look at a more powerful/flexible host program. But before I go buggering about with new software Id just like to make sure the next thing I learn to use can do what i want it to!!!

auditory hallucinations
17-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Get Ableton Live mate, it does shed loads of this stuff.

You get automation enevelopes for each midi "clip", which you can draw into or record your fader movements.

You can then unlink the envelope to the referenced clip, so for instance it's easy to create a four bar filter slide whilst only acutally using a one bar midi clip.

Barely Human
17-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Sorry, but i dont quite understand what your problem is here?? You say you cant automate fx on midi tracks running VST's? But you can on audio tracks??? Im really confused :eh:

neilried
17-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Sorry, but i dont quite understand what your problem is here?? You say you cant automate fx on midi tracks running VST's? But you can on audio tracks??? Im really confused :eh:

I get confussed with my terminology sometimes ;o)...

In acid you can apply fx to audio (Wav, MP3 etc) or Midi, when it comes to automation you have to click on the FX automation button select the parameter you wish to automate then draw it over the track in the sequencer.

With Audio (as in Wav files) this works fine

When you try it on a Midi track that controls a VST, the FX automation button disappears from the midi track but there is one on the VST channel on the mixer, you click on it, it allows you to select the parameter you want to automate but you cannot draw the automation onto a midi track as you do with audio, Acid simply does not insert the automation line..

Dunno if that makes it any clearer!?!?!

Barely Human
17-03-2005, 03:10 PM
Ah right, i get ya. Ive not used acid in years so i wouldnt know it does this. I wouldnt recomend writting track in midi with acid to be honest. The whole idea of acid is a quick "loop sequancer" and not a midi sequancer. As to your problem, im no sure how to sort it as i dont have acid installed :doh:

neilried
17-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Cheers mate, I hadnt really intended to use Acid in this way just as Ive learned more as Ive gone allong Ive found this is the area Im making most headway in identified this as an area I want to work in just not sure what i should be using and due to the time investment learning a new package just wanted to get it right...

From what auditory hallucinations says it looks like Ableton might be the way forward....

Unless theres anything else to consider?

Barely Human
17-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Have a deeper look into Fl Studio aswell mate, and a dablle with SX. Give em all a good go for a week or so and see which one you like the best....

xfive
17-03-2005, 03:42 PM
If you like Acid then Live is the logical step forward... it functions in similar ways yet is much more powerful. ;)

neilried
17-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Have a deeper look into Fl Studio aswell mate, and a dablle with SX. Give em all a good go for a week or so and see which one you like the best....

Been using FL extensively just hate the sequencer but will experiment, havnt got SX or know anyone with it so will have to skip that one....

Cheers all for the advice... :clap:

nova
18-03-2005, 09:17 AM
dont you hav to hav your midi recorded to audio to bring the vst effects up on midi sounds. that way you just track automation your vst effects on the audio channels ( midi sounds )

eyes without a face
18-03-2005, 10:05 AM
i dont understand why ur losing sound quality when bouncing to wav? especially how ur midi tracks are simply controlling VST's, what sound card do u have?

eyes without a face
18-03-2005, 10:06 AM
u cud achieve all this alot easier and faster in something like FL Studio by the way!

278d7e64a374de26f==