PDA

View Full Version : Acid Techno?

dirty_bass
18-03-2005, 07:22 PM
So this forum has managed to bring together the hard tech, and the dark and experimental types, and the epctro n stuff.
But what about the acid techno people?
they seem to stay in their little corner and never say anything.
I think that is almost part of the problem with the music in a way, the people just listen to that one thing, and don`t look outside to see what else is going on.

C`mon on acid tech peoples let`s hear ya.

ds2
18-03-2005, 07:33 PM
leave em to it. it's aload of old drug fuelled tripe anyway.

horse, flog and dead are 3 words that instantly come to mind.
formulaic and fodder are 2 more.

ollie303
18-03-2005, 07:49 PM
i love my 303s , the sound of it still excites me, but there realy isnt much 303 music out there at the moment, hence the fact when i dj now the greater part of my set would be techno rather than acid.
music has to move foward so thats why the acid sound shifted towards the more solid techno format,
but theres a big hole in my record box and im not alone in thinking alot of the new stuff thats got acid init isnt all that great :neutral:
im not dissing the new style 303 tracks there cool, im just looking for something else,maybe ive just become lost in it all.

ollie303
18-03-2005, 07:51 PM

and i was going to say that techno purists cuss it at the drop of a hat, and thought no, ill leave it open for discusion and allas before id finished contructing my post someone had done it :roll:

ds2
18-03-2005, 07:59 PM
and i was going to say that techno purists cuss it at the drop of a hat, and thought no, ill leave it open for discusion and allas before id finished contructing my post someone had done it :roll:

proved yourself right then :lol:

except i'm not a purest by any means. i just like good music and listen to anything from ian brown to italo disco to industrial techno. i don't like formulaic fodder even if it is "avin it!!" :roll:

MangaFish
18-03-2005, 09:38 PM
every genre has its fair share of naff formulaic music thats "avin it!!" - including techno

davethedrummer
18-03-2005, 10:07 PM

yeah nice one man......nice one......wise words indeed

Stella Boy
18-03-2005, 10:13 PM

for someone with so much respect and passion for the scene you have suprised me with this comment :eh:

ds2
18-03-2005, 10:26 PM
for someone with so much respect and passion for the scene you have suprised me with this comment :eh:

i've got passion and a deep love for good music stella boy.

i was very angry when i first got home and maybe shouldn't have gone straight on to my pc but i stand by what i said. acid techno was and always will be one small step up from hard house.

fair play to those that have moved on and are doing new things. there's some solid enough dj friendly techno coming from london these days but even alot of that stuff sounds like chris liebing from 5 years ago.

davethedrummer
19-03-2005, 12:06 AM

i've got passion and a deep love for good music stella boy.

i was very angry when i first got home and maybe shouldn't have gone straight on to my pc but i stand by what i said. acid techno was and always will be one small step up from hard house.

fair play to those that have moved on and are doing new things. there's some solid enough dj friendly techno coming from london these days but even alot of that stuff sounds like chris liebing from 5 years ago.

and again.....
come on show us what you're made of :rambo:

tocsin
19-03-2005, 02:15 AM
So this forum has managed to bring together the hard tech, and the dark and experimental types, and the epctro n stuff.
But what about the acid techno people?
they seem to stay in their little corner and never say anything.
I think that is almost part of the problem with the music in a way, the people just listen to that one thing, and don`t look outside to see what else is going on.

C`mon on acid tech peoples let`s hear ya.

Hell, how do you know who's an acid person anyways?I guess you could count me as one. I definitely love acid techno but it's not the only thing I listen to. But, to be fair, as someone who has looked outside to see what else is going on, nothing coming out of techno has been exciting me too much recently when it's genre specific. I've been enjoying the stuff that's throwing everything together a lot more that I hear online. I'm hoping this might be a sign of things to come where the anal attitudes surrounding techno definitions start to disappear amongst producers and heavy listeners.

The Germ
19-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Yeah!

Bring on all types of music

but the 303 will always take the cake for me

i listen to everything from punk to mahavisnu!

**** off..

Apex Beat
19-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I dont listen to much of it, but I bought a nice acid techno EP by Rob Acid the other day. Main tracks quite housey but the flipside is really nice dark minimal techno, obviously with tons of acid and a massive sweeping bassline.

I personally adore the 'acid' sound, even though I'd acknowledge theres a lot of cheesy hoover shit out there. I mean look at the Analord releases, some of them are brilliant, pure acid.

conflict
19-03-2005, 01:13 PM
acid was what i was into before i discovered 'techno'

not really my cuppa anymore but i'd never sell my collection.i quite like the idea of being able to do a 1996-2000classic acid techno set in ten years time

;)

ollie303
19-03-2005, 02:16 PM
acid techno used to have attitude, wheres it gone?>!!!

davethedrummer
19-03-2005, 04:07 PM

look !
will you lot just back the f*ck up?
there are still some great acid techno releases being made
you have to look around for what you like but that's because theres a load of new labels to search through.
i don't think any of you guys have the right to an opinion about it unless you have actually listened to the latest releases!!!!!!
if you think we are all still making 303 tracks then think again , if you think the fire has gone out in london then think again , if you think the music has got boring and predictble then show me a f*cking techno record that doesn't have a formula of one kind or another!!!!!
everything we are listening to is on repeat right now anyway so why all the animosity towards acid techno??are we just easy to aim at ??
it's no wonder the acid guys don't come here really !
stay up forever is a huge collective now of people making a really broad spectrum of music on labels that half you guys probably don't even know about and as far as i'm concerned these days the term acid techno pretty much applies to all of it . and it's not just s.u.f. who are making acid techno.
acid techno IS a part of the uk techno scene whether you like it or not
so take your negative , snobby " i know better than you do " attitudes and stick them right up your ass!
these kind of comments do nothing for anyone , they are negative , and they should stop.
i never say these kind of things about any other kind of techno , so don't say it about mine please!

The Germ
19-03-2005, 06:01 PM
henry acid techno has spread it's love to the USA and is well in effect here so anyone putting it down has no clue..

AcidTrash
20-03-2005, 01:50 AM
I've been to a few clubs recently that outright rule out acid techno of any form and I've been bored witless. All the purist DJ's taking it as hard as possible from the first record of the night just makes me think that the DJ's really need to get laid or admit they have sexuality issues since they're playing techno so hard all the cute girls wander off and the only ones left are sweaty topless blokes on the dancefloor. The last pure techno event I went to was probably the most humourless bore ever for this very reason.

What turned me on to acid techno was its cheekyness, subliminal charm (especially DAVE and DDR) and humour (Geezer/Havok) and that doesn't really get old for me. It is essentially party music and can be deep and thoughtful and bouncey and fun. I like it because it knocks on the door of hard house at times but never crosses the threshold and then sometimes goes so deep it sounds like fast tech-house. I still find it an incredibly verstatile platform for ideas because the beat stucture allows room for sounds that wouldn't generally be permitted in the purer techno.

It seems in purer techno any sound that interferes with the dynamic of the beats is considered poor production and therefore the scene is producing some stunningly well engineered techno loops you can really show off your speakers with but very little in the way of actual ideas unless you count the odd clever fill and well placed break sample. It's intellectually intriguing sat at your studio desk but who the f*ck wants intellectually challenging last thing on a friday night in the manchester Pheonix club unless you've been sat on your arse doing nothing all week?

I consider myself to be a reasonably clever chap but the truth of the matter is that after a pint or two of stella and a couple of pills I'm just not that bright at all. I like banging noises and swooshy noises when I'm cretinously trollied and when I'm up for it I want party tunes to shake it all off not something to rhythmically scratch my beard to.

There's a lot to be said for melody dynamics my friends and that does not have to mean hard house or trance. Acid techno is the happy medium for me and I've never had any complaints from anyone except maybe the odd purist anorak and if I'm trying to impress them and not the people I'm playing to then I'm really not doing my job right.

DJ'ing is about selecting the right tune for the moment and if you have a back full of the same techno loop you can't really engineer your set to the mood of the night.

Pure techno just takes itself way too seriously trying to present itself as the more sophiosticated end of dance music. Well I've got news for you folks... pure techno never was sophisticted, never will be and isn't at the moment despite all the pretentions to the contrary. It's just as drug fuelled as hard house and acid techno.

This obession with newness and progress is largely pretentious w*nk what with all these DJ's effectively saying "I've moved past the 303 because I'm grown up and clever and too cool to break a sweat" just turns me off hard techno altogether.

Obessesion with newness over substance is something New Labour got hooked into as a mentality and look where that got us. Just cos something came out yesterday doesn't make it any better than something thats been out since 1995.

I get a lot of ribbing from other DJ's for playing acid but I'm not going to be a sheep and stop playing it just because a few beard scratchers tell me its out of date. The acid clubs in the North have been thriving for ages and yet when they get bullied into going harder tech by hordes of envious DJ's the bulk of the crowd stops turning up. I've seen it happen over the last few years to a few clubs. Pure techno is a big turn off to the party heads who want to dance and not stand around thinking about it. Any party where people aren't breaking a sweat is usually pretty lousy in my experience.

I love the way acid techno sticks out like a sore thumb when you play it at either a techno or a trance night and love it or hate it you just can't ignore it. That's why I'll keep on playing regardless of what the image concious sheep keep telling me. Slagging off acid techno because you're worried about the image it gives out is the very reason most clubs go up their own arses. Most poeple I know who like acid techno don't even bother taking acid (the drug) or wear tie die etc and aren't anything to do with the squat scene They're just people who like music with a punky ethos and a bit of spirit and attitude. If that's wrong in pure techno then I'm really not missing anything am I?

Purist attitudes to acid techno are usually lousy and pretty boring.
My ears prick up whenever I hear a TB303 in action and just because I've heard a track with a 303 in it before is no reason to discount the validity of the track I'm hearing at the time. An attitude I invariably find to be predominant round these parts.

Oh and by the way Just because your music doesn't have a 303 in it doesn't automatically make it new and innovative. In fact I've heard the same non acid shit banged out for half a decade and its just as dull now as it was then. This constant obsession with tight mixing over actual musical content just depresses me. You might as well stick a loop on and run it through an effects mixer all night.

Generally speaking of course.

AcidTrash
20-03-2005, 01:58 AM

look !

Go get em Henry!!!!!

sash
20-03-2005, 02:09 AM
acid techno seems to be a lot more fun these days. straight tek is just way to serious imo. Bring on da good dj's that can mix it all up and give me a variety of emotions :)

Oracle
20-03-2005, 03:11 AM
I'm really surprised that a thread with such negative connations would appear on this particular forum.

I don't think that it is fair to generalise and say that Acid Techno people only listen to one thing. The vast majority of people I know who appreciate Acid Techno also listen to many other styles of electronic music (and even more styles outside of dance/electronic to be fair).

People make music for all different reasons and whilst I can appreicate that there are folks who wish to continually push their sound forward and experiment, this does not intrisically make their motivation or their creations more worthy than someone who makes music for people to jump around and have fun to (and vice versa of course!).

There IS no right or wrong motivation when it comes to making music. Just make whatever you like and if you're not feeling a particular style, then why waste energy bitching about it?

FUSION
20-03-2005, 05:14 AM
. Bring on da good dj's that can mix it all up and give me a variety of emotions :)

WORD :clap:

Ginjin
20-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Acid Techno is still the prime source of my income going out of my wallet. And I cant complain too much about the quality of releases as most are top notch. I will say that I would not mind some releases that break the formula but Like others said, every other techno genre has its formulae. Acid is not the only "techno" that I buy and play as other genres of techno make it into my record bag as well ie: Electro, Breaks, and straight Techno with its plethora of sub genres.
Techno purists can suck on this.......

http://invsee.asu.edu/ImageGallery/Real/LifeSciences/Photo/chickegg.jpg

dirty_bass
20-03-2005, 02:36 PM
hmmmm, I started this thread as a little light hearted way of getting the acid tech folk to join in, by poking a joking finger.
I didn`t expect it to turn into some blazing slagging match, calm down kiddies, there`s room enough for all facets of music in this world.
Can`t we interact without getting spikey?

Now on a positive note, can some people in the know please put some audio links and info of some good Acid Tech Releases in the Recommended Releases section of this forum please.

Sunil
20-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Now on a positive note, can some people in the know please put some audio links and info of some good Acid Tech Releases in the Recommended Releases section of this forum please.

The best hard Acid Techno (or techno with 303s in it) I've heard recently is by 303 Freak on German label Salpeter. Will suss out links and post it up there now.

MangaFish
20-03-2005, 07:37 PM
imo the best label for acid techno is cluster

ollie303
20-03-2005, 08:16 PM
why was i quoted before that rant then hennry?

do you think i was slating the acid techno genre or something?

if you think me asking where the attitude had gone was a insult ,think again .i was looking for other acid techno heads to talk on the thread and overcome the purists cussing of it as drug fulled tripe.

Dabble
20-03-2005, 08:20 PM
As long as people are still dancing to acid techno then they're is still a place & need for for it in the techno/party world.

stjohn
20-03-2005, 08:36 PM

i have a few old cluster tracks...let me see what they are...
Gringo on cluster 36 is one and to be honest i didnt even know/think it was acid techno, but now that i think of it i can see the connection

i never thought of it like that tho...

if i like a tune, i buy it..... simple as that......

i have heard dodgy acid around the place but i would deffo like to hear some good acid releases coz i love that cluster record. it has a menacing tribal feel to it.... which alot of the time, is what i go for.

Mindful
20-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Its all bloody techno is it not :rambo: grrr
why do purist have to slag off acid for being cheesy and uninventive and the acid heads feel this need to assume that a purist is having less fun because they like to get deep into what theyre listening too it winds me up no end.
The fact is its all so varied and its all techno play?make records that you think are good,I f***ing do.

And Pete dont mean to use you as an example but to say you like variation at nights and then curse anyone who plays techno at a acid based night well your starting to sound like an acid techno purist,I take it you have allready written off mine and Seiges set at Hardlife before its even happend.

I will say it again its all techno.If it makes you dance or stimulates your mind then what is the problem?

Why not just play/make whatever pleases you whatever it be?

ds2
20-03-2005, 10:03 PM
It seems in purer techno any sound that interferes with the dynamic of the beats is considered poor production...

by who? where do you come up with this rubbish? have the industry boffins been round again?

Pure techno just takes itself way too seriously trying to present itself as the more sophiosticated end of dance music. Well I've got news for you folks... pure techno never was sophisticted, never will be and isn't at the moment despite all the pretentions to the contrary...

again, where do you get this from? do you just make it up as you go along hoping people will believe what you say. feel free to point me to clips of the "pure techno" you listen to cos you're obviously listening to the wrong stuff.

and what's pure techno anyway? seems only acid heads use that phrase or they'll label people who don't like acid techno as purists. we're not purists we just don't like the same music as you. i listen to most electronic music styles. i don't listen to acid techno, trance or hardhouse. why does that make me a purist? if any group of people are purists, and i'm speaking generally, it's the acid crews who'll only listen to records made by henry cullen, pounding grooves, liberators etc. that's not a dig at those producers either before anyone gets the hump. i see it all the time where i work. people come in asking for london produced records and we do get their 12's in quite regular but if we don't have enough and try and point them to similar sounding music made by non "acid/london" producers they won't even listen to it!! ""nah mate, i only buy raw/hydraulix...""
wtf is that all about?

This obession with newness and progress is largely pretentious w*nk...

then all musicians since the beginning of time are pretentious wankers.
the djs you love and often wank over on here are playing alot of new styles, are they pretentious wankers too? if chris liberator dropped a new vogel or ruskin record in his set you'd call him a genius...

..the way acid techno sticks out like a sore thumb when you play it at either a techno or a trance night

yeah, usually for the wrong reasons... :)

In fact I've heard the same non acid shit banged out for half a decade and its just as dull now as it was then.

if you seriously think techno hasn't progressed in the last 5 years then you really haven't been listening at all. next time you're in a record shop ignore the london or schranz section. you may surprise yourself.

i've met you a few times pete, you're a sound guy and pretty funny too but you don't half come out with some crap sometimes. :lol:

also while i'm here i'll apologise for the "drug fuelled" comments of friday night. i'd had a very bad day and chose the wrong time to respond to a post about music i don't like, sorry. i dont think you're all drug monkeys at all, shouldn't have said that but i do dislike acid techno, the new stuff coming out of london is so much better in my "purist" opinion.

machina
21-03-2005, 12:10 AM
What the **** is acid techno? I don't think it really has a defined sound anymore but an attitude if anything - here in melbourne we do a club 909 - with itchy which is an "acid" club, but what is generally played is pretty much techno in relatively pure form. Sure it's the london stuff - hydraulix/raw etc. but to me that's not really what the acid "sound" i remember as acid is... i reckon hydraulix releases are pure slamming techno and the only thing that really connects it to the old 303 stuff is Henry's name - i can understand your frustration at being pigeon-holed.
To me acid was hardfloor and tesox and then the harder tweaky smitten stuff and i do think that it has been done to death - but you do hear the odd corker ... the last 2 boys in a bank by chris/lawrie on routemaster is a good example ...

machina

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 01:36 AM
As long as people are still dancing to acid techno then they're is still a place & need for for it in the techno/party world.

EXACTLY!!! :clap: :clap:

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 01:38 AM
Its all bloody techno is it not :rambo: grrr
why do purist have to slag off acid for being cheesy and uninventive and the acid heads feel this need to assume that a purist is having less fun because they like to get deep into what theyre listening too it winds me up no end.
The fact is its all so varied and its all techno play?make records that you think are good,I f***ing do.

And Pete dont mean to use you as an example but to say you like variation at nights and then curse anyone who plays techno at a acid based night well your starting to sound like an acid techno purist,I take it you have allready written off mine and Seiges set at Hardlife before its even happend.

I will say it again its all techno.If it makes you dance or stimulates your mind then what is the problem?

Why not just play/make whatever pleases you whatever it be?

I think theres room for all of it. I'm not an acid purist by a long shot as any fule kno but sometimes if it's working on a crowd you just have to give into it.

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 01:54 AM
by who? where do you come up with this rubbish? have the industry boffins been round again?

A well known techno producer I respect who shall remain nameless.

again, where do you get this from? do you just make it up as you go along hoping people will believe what you say. feel free to point me to clips of the "pure techno" you listen to cos you're obviously listening to the wrong stuff.

I'm merely going on the way my friends talk about the stuff and I really don't get how it's any more sophisticated. My mate is always banging on about stuff like construct rhythm and andreas kremer and I just don't see how it's that different from cluster style stuff.

and what's pure techno anyway? seems only acid heads use that phrase or they'll label people who don't like acid techno as purists. we're not purists we just don't like the same music as you. i listen to most electronic music styles. i don't listen to acid techno, trance or hardhouse. why does that make me a purist? if any group of people are purists, and i'm speaking generally, it's the acid crews who'll only listen to records made by henry cullen, pounding grooves, liberators etc. that's not a dig at those producers either before anyone gets the hump. i see it all the time where i work. people come in asking for london produced records and we do get their 12's in quite regular but if we don't have enough and try and point them to similar sounding music made by non "acid/london" producers they won't even listen to it!! ""nah mate, i only buy raw/hydraulix...""
wtf is that all about?

My definition of pure techno is the stuff I find in specialist techno shops where I can listen to half the stock and hear virtually exactly the same loop on every one with very little in the way of injected humour, style or drive.

This obession with newness and progress is largely pretentious w*nk...

then all musicians since the beginning of time are pretentious wankers.
the djs you love and often wank over on here are playing alot of new styles, are they pretentious wankers too? if chris liberator dropped a new vogel or ruskin record in his set you'd call him a genius...

Can't argue with that at all.

In fact I've heard the same non acid shit banged out for half a decade and its just as dull now as it was then.

if you seriously think techno hasn't progressed in the last 5 years then you really haven't been listening at all. next time you're in a record shop ignore the london or schranz section. you may surprise yourself.

I've been largely inoring shranz altogether and have only bought 3 records form the london lot in the last 3 months. I was really impressesed with a chris Leibing mix I got recently and have been looking for a particular groove like it but I'm very fussy when it comes to percussive techno.

I want more than just a cleverly spliced loop.

i've met you a few times pete, you're a sound guy and pretty funny too but you don't half come out with some crap sometimes. :lol:

I think most people would agree with that assesment. But it's never quiet after I inject some random bollocks into the conversation.

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Bearing in mind I did say "generally speaking" I'm only going on my experience therefore its just my opinion. I just get loads of people trying to convince me that their form of techno is superior and I don't think it's that much different and in many cases a little spiritless. Whenever I play acid it never fails to raise a smile and always gets some asses moving. It could just be the way I play it! ;)

FUSION
21-03-2005, 02:39 AM
ahhhhh arnt ya both sweet, i love it when a couple of people i know have heated net discussions, since i enjoy both types of techno your talking about cant make any comment here......... its defo helped my bitch of a comedown and realisation im very very skint though so cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

dan the acid man
21-03-2005, 02:39 AM
its all music at the end of the day.

i started out listening to rithcie hawtin, progressed onto acid techno, and now im loving loads of styles of techno.

FUSION
21-03-2005, 02:41 AM
The last pure techno event I went to was probably the most humourless bore ever for this very reason.

i think you should re phrase this mind pete i hope your not talking bout our boys in hull :nono:

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 05:08 AM
The last pure techno event I went to was probably the most humourless bore ever for this very reason.

i think you should re phrase this mind pete i hope your not talking bout our boys in hull :nono:

Nah, it was intergalactic funk in manchester. Yawnarama from the first beat. Some boring orbit DJ and some other people playing the same loop for ages. Everyone ****ed off before 3am.

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 05:09 AM
ahhhhh arnt ya both sweet, i love it when a couple of people i know have heated net discussions, since i enjoy both types of techno your talking about cant make any comment here......... its defo helped my bitch of a comedown and realisation im very very skint though so cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Make no mistake I dig the techno too. I have nearly half the techno I've heard you play but I just don't make a habit of doing a full set of it.

dirty_bass
21-03-2005, 07:57 AM
This is turning into a fight over a subjective subject.

Please, can we end this "my techno is better than your techno" rubbish.

I don`t want to lock this thread and come across like a fascist, but it would be nice to hear some more about what is going on in the scene, and what releases are about, in general on this section of the forum, Which is here for ALL TYPES OF TECHNO.

Now, I like the general, good times vibe of acid techno, but I haven`t really heard any acid releases that have done it for me.
Maybe it`s because there are few new names in acid techno?
Is there any new talent making Acid Tech that needs mentioning?

And don`t say Calver, cos I don`t think what he does is acid tech.

ds2
21-03-2005, 09:56 AM

I'm merely going on the way my friends talk about the stuff and I really don't get how it's any more sophisticated. My mate is always banging on about stuff like construct rhythm and andreas kremer and I just don't see how it's that different from cluster style stuff.

[/quote]

so basically this is an acid vs schranz argument.
:doh:
i give in.

see you soon pete.

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Please, can we end this "my techno is better than your techno" rubbish.

BUT THAT'S NO FUN!!!!

[/quote]

*shuffles and stares at feet like naughty schoolboy*

AcidTrash
21-03-2005, 10:23 AM
so basically this is an acid vs schranz argument.
:doh:
i give in.

hard techno and shranz are largly the same beast to me. In a small room it all sounds a bit distorted and messy.

I've got a few tracks on MB recordings and a bunch of similar stuff and althought they are very nice tribal funky grooves they don't seem to serve any real point. They have no real features or events. I like tracks to build to something. A method the funkier london stuff has in its favour.

I love a funk deep and rolling bassline and I find most acid techno more useful to acheive the sound I want to make with decks.
I always seem to get richer turntable phase shifts and flanges out of acid.

TechMouse
21-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I like Techno generally, across the board.

IMHO there's always interesting stuff being done in all the little sub-genres (hard, acid, wonky, tribal, funky, schranz, whatever) and I've found myself buying loads of different kinds of tracks lately. Makes mixing more fun for me, which is ultimately the aim I guess.

I was just saying the other day that I reckon Cluster is the most consistantly dependable Techno label around. In my estimation anyway.

Oracle
21-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Now, I like the general, good times vibe of acid techno, but I haven`t really heard any acid releases that have done it for me.
Maybe it`s because there are few new names in acid techno?

This is an interesting point because I think the definition of Acid Techno varies quite a bit from one individual to another. Ten years ago, I'd say it was all about the screaming 303s and the typical 707/808/909 percussion sets but over the past five years, labels such as Cluster and Hydraulix have output quality tracks that still seem to fit into the Acid Techno genre, even though there is no acid line.

Personally, I still really rate the stuff that Henry puts out and I also think that Ant is a great producer. As for Calver, yes a lot of his material is blantantly Hard House (and intentionally so), but I don't put, for example, his effort on Hydraulix 24 into this category:

http://www.bangingtunes.com/play/hydraulix24/b/

Whilst some may regard this track as "Hard House", no doubt there are others who don't. There is no right or wrong. Many people get into Techno from either a Hard House or a Trance background and the London labels such as SUF, Cluster, RAW, Hydraulix, Powertools etc invite them into the scene with dance floor friendly music. Once people begin to realise that Techno isn't mindless, repitive music, they begin to experiment and listen to other styles within the genre. Surely this is a good thing for the scene in general and these labels should be congratulated for introducing people to the music we all love.

dirty_bass
21-03-2005, 12:48 PM
That Calver tune you linked isn`t hard house, it`s not oompah enough.
It`s just proper big room techno innit?
Although with the big B-line and all the little phase and flange inserts, it has been pointed out to me that it kinda sounds like DB002 and 003
And if this is the case does that mean I make hard house too?

Well, I dunno, I guess I define Acid Techno as a bit dirty, a bit cheeky, not too serious, reasonably predicatable, very danceable, heavy on the kick, and energetic. Also something that builds.

I think Hydraulix is straight techno, at least I think that is the general idea?

As a music, in acid most of the originators have moved on to other pasteurs, so some fresh blood would be cool.

Who is everyone raving about these days? or is it still basically the same London names?

Dabble
21-03-2005, 02:00 PM

Last week I picked up the 1st release on the new acid techno label TAB (Technical Audio Beats), run by Tony Montana. Both sides by Tony Montana & Geezer. The a side aint too bad tho I need to listen to it a few more times. I know nothing about Tony Montana, he's a new name to me, but it's a new label he's got going which could be promising, even if it is another London label, but that don't bother me, as long as the music is good it doesn't matter where it comes from.

dirty_bass
21-03-2005, 03:01 PM
yeah, I mean new producers who can stand on their own feet and don`t need an engineer to make their tunes for them.

davethedrummer
21-03-2005, 03:32 PM
hmmmm, I started this thread as a little light hearted way of getting the acid tech folk to join in, by poking a joking finger.
I didn`t expect it to turn into some blazing slagging match, calm down kiddies, there`s room enough for all facets of music in this world.
Can`t we interact without getting spikey?

sorry
i was a bit out of line earlier
got a bit too heated :roll:

FUSION
21-03-2005, 03:39 PM
yeah, I mean new producers who can stand on their own feet and don`t need an engineer to make their tunes for them.

tony dosnt use geezer to write his tunes for him, he writes em at home and takes em down to geezer to literaley give that tiny ooompth to before transfering to vinyl...... like you did for seb marx globe warmer tune steve............ ive know tony montana from T.A.B for ages his studio rocks and he certainly knows what he is doin :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ......... although i can see that it looks like hes doin a skankadelic (no disrespect gav)

dirty_bass
21-03-2005, 03:48 PM
Ok, I take that back then.
Any audio links?

Dabble
21-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Like I said in my post, I know nothing about Tony so wouldn't actually know if he uses Geezer to engineer or not. I was just making a comment on his new label.

acidsaturation
21-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Just as a slight side point, it's been really interesting reading all this in one go, having been away form the internet and the real world (i.e off work and on a bender :roll: ) for 3 days.

And very interesting from the point of view of someone who used buy lots of records to fanatically discus "the different types of techno" and probably gobshite about the one's I didn't like. Now I still go out, but seem to have lost the idea of the distinctions a bit - I go out and listen to techno that I like, and like stuff as long as it inspires me - "Acid", "Pure", "Shranz" or "what-the-feck-ever"... I don't quite understand all this anymore, but love techno...

Also laughing slightly, after talking to my girlfriend who writes for a punk zine, about the genre teasing - I think it happens in any kind of music that has a very committed "scene"... ;)

(BTW it's Acid Techno that's my first love though!)

;)

ds2
21-03-2005, 07:53 PM
good acid...

http://www.music-head.de/catalog/platte_details.artist-Edge%20Of%20Motion.titel-Set%20Up%20707.articleid-521871.go_back-true.html

the misjah mix.

the original is being re-issued soon too.

Adverse
21-03-2005, 08:04 PM

look !
there are still some great acid techno releases being made
you have to look around for what you like but that's because theres a load of new labels to search through.
i don't think any of you guys have the right to an opinion about it unless you have actually listened to the latest releases!!!!!!
if you think we are all still making 303 tracks then think again , if you think the fire has gone out in london then think again , if you think the music has got boring and predictble then show me a f*cking techno record that doesn't have a formula of one kind or another!!!!!
everything we are listening to is on repeat right now anyway so why all the animosity towards acid techno??are we just easy to aim at ??
it's no wonder the acid guys don't come here really !
stay up forever is a huge collective now of people making a really broad spectrum of music on labels that half you guys probably don't even know about and as far as i'm concerned these days the term acid techno pretty much applies to all of it . and it's not just s.u.f. who are making acid techno.
acid techno IS a part of the uk techno scene whether you like it or not
so take your negative , snobby " i know better than you do " attitudes and stick them right up your ass!
these kind of comments do nothing for anyone , they are negative , and they should stop.
i never say these kind of things about any other kind of techno , so don't say it about mine please!

MUAHAHAHHAHAHA TOLD!

Adverse
21-03-2005, 08:10 PM

last time i heard anything objective in this forum.. *checks his calendar* i'll get back to you.

The Overfiend
21-03-2005, 08:13 PM

last time i heard anything objective in this forum.. *checks his calendar* i'll get back to you.

calls it as he sees em ;)

miss bass
21-03-2005, 08:37 PM
It must be that time of the month for everyone

dan the acid man
21-03-2005, 09:12 PM
It must be that time of the month for everyone

thats been all of this month for me :evil: :oops: :cry:

tocsin
21-03-2005, 09:34 PM
I go out and listen to techno that I like, and like stuff as long as it
inspires me - "Acid", "Pure", "Shranz" or "what-the-feck-ever"... I don't quite understand all this anymore, but
love techno...

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Hell, when it didn't feel like there were 10,000 different genres, I had a hard enough time distinguishing between some. And now, respectively, classifications using the same name have had a shift in sound. For example, a guy I know who is very much into happy hardcore has pointed me to some stuff which sounds nothing like the happy hardcore I knew. So, whatever. Mix it up, have fun. The only thing I ever really liked about any techno was the energy, not wankery about why something is "technically" good or innovative. If I want that type of shit, I'll go listen to someone who mastered playing an instrument instead of programming a machine. And, keeping this on the subjective note, through my own experience I just found that a lot of the music I heard seemed to lose a lot of the energy I craved when people started getting really genre specific. As in, people making music to fit into a genre rather than just making what comes from the soul.

FUSION
21-03-2005, 11:42 PM
even if it is another London label, but that don't bother me, as long as the music is good it doesn't matter where it comes from.

hes from leeds also, used to be a resident at our night, got an amazing studio , boy gunna do good :clap:

dirty_bass
22-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I'll go listen to someone who mastered playing an instrument instead of programming a machine.

that`s a little narrow minded. The studio is an instrument.
Especially now that it can be all done in one machine.
It`s a lot harder being the drummer, keyboardist, percussionist etc making your own stuff electronically, than it is learning to play, the guitar for example.

Jimfish
22-03-2005, 12:47 AM
well, yeah, but its about the degree to which you want to learn..
you could bash out a nirvana tune a couple of months after getting a guitar, or you could knob out a couple of loops a couiple of months after getting a studio.. but you can take either as far as you want to go with them, a good guitarist will still be learning after 20 years, as will a good engineer :)

dan the acid man
22-03-2005, 01:03 AM
well, yeah, but its about the degree to which you want to learn..
you could bash out a nirvana tune a couple of months after getting a guitar, or you could knob out a couple of loops a couiple of months after getting a studio.. but you can take either as far as you want to go with them, a good guitarist will still be learning after 20 years, as will a good engineer :)

very true, you can never stop learning, if you really want to that is

tocsin
22-03-2005, 01:07 AM

Not in a way that needs to be sat down an analised while listening to a track. Programming a synth and sequencer is experimentation. I'm not slagging on any techno. But, I find the chinstroker stuff around the music to be irrelevant. If I'm not feeling it, that's it. Whereas, there's a lot of non-programmed music that takes significant practice which I also don't feel, but can respect the chinstroker stuff around it. Just about anyone here could go to school and learn production techniques that they can recreate on a machine with a little trial and error fairly quick. But, most people here would not be able to go to school and come out some fantastically gifted jazz fusion guitarist or classical violinist.

machina
22-03-2005, 04:26 AM

Not in a way that needs to be sat down an analised while listening to a track. Programming a synth and sequencer is experimentation. I'm not slagging on any techno. But, I find the chinstroker stuff around the music to be irrelevant. If I'm not feeling it, that's it. Whereas, there's a lot of non-programmed music that takes significant practice which I also don't feel, but can respect the chinstroker stuff around it. Just about anyone here could go to school and learn production techniques that they can recreate on a machine with a little trial and error fairly quick. But, most people here would not be able to go to school and come out some fantastically gifted jazz fusion guitarist or classical violinist.

that's simply not true - at the very least it's a gross generalisation. Different people make music in different ways - some people go for the trial and error approach (ie. experimentation).. but it is totally possible to program music as a composer - ie. writing lines and tracks that you hear in your head... it is no different to a classical composer - some classical composers use a trial and error approach and others write music which is already pre-conceived in their head. I'm a fully trained violinist - have played in the melbourne symphony orchestra blah blah whatever... and make techno - and they are as challenging and difficult as each other, just in different ways...

machina

G-whizz
22-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I go out and listen to techno that I like, and like stuff as long as it
inspires me - "Acid", "Pure", "Shranz" or "what-the-feck-ever"... I don't quite understand all this anymore, but
love techno...

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Hell, when it didn't feel like there were 10,000 different genres, I had a hard enough time distinguishing between some. And now, respectively, classifications using the same name have had a shift in sound. For example, a guy I know who is very much into happy hardcore has pointed me to some stuff which sounds nothing like the happy hardcore I knew. So, whatever. Mix it up, have fun. The only thing I ever really liked about any techno was the energy, not wankery about why something is "technically" good or innovative. If I want that type of shit, I'll go listen to someone who mastered playing an instrument instead of programming a machine. And, keeping this on the subjective note, through my own experience I just found that a lot of the music I heard seemed to lose a lot of the energy I craved when people started getting really genre specific. As in, people making music to fit into a genre rather than just making what comes from the soul.

I with you there on the energy part .... if a tunes got that energy that grabs me then i'll buy it ... couldn't care less what kind of genre it is !

TechMouse
22-03-2005, 10:49 AM
but it is totally possible to program music as a composer - ie. writing lines and tracks that you hear in your head... it is no different to a classical composer - some classical composers use a trial and error approach and others write music which is already pre-conceived in their head.

See Craig Armstrong...

tocsin
22-03-2005, 12:00 PM
that's simply not true - at the very least it's a gross generalisation. Different people make music in different ways - some people go for the trial and error approach (ie. experimentation).. but it is totally possible to program music as a composer - ie. writing lines and tracks that you hear in your head...

The fact is that anyone can do it if they want to. It's part of what I find appealing about techno. Is anyone here going to seriously say that programming a computer requires the same skill as to play an instrument like Yo-Yo Ma? For the most part, I don't even see people play their synth lines during a live PA. It's just buttons pushed on a sequencer.

it is no different to a classical composer - some classical composers use a trial and error approach and others write music which is already pre-conceived in their head. I'm a fully trained violinist - have played in the melbourne symphony orchestra blah blah whatever... and make techno - and they are as challenging and difficult as each other, just in different ways...

See above. I wasn't talking about appreciating a composition. I'm talking about the genre snobbery where someone has to explain to me why a song programmed on a computer is so groundbreaking even though I don't feel it. Sorry, but that doesn't move me and I often find it to be unfounded hype. So, when it comes to such music/discussion, I'd rather listen to someone playing an instrument before programming a computer.

dirty_bass
22-03-2005, 12:47 PM
that's simply not true - at the very least it's a gross generalisation. Different people make music in different ways - some people go for the trial and error approach (ie. experimentation).. but it is totally possible to program music as a composer - ie. writing lines and tracks that you hear in your head...

The fact is that anyone can do it if they want to. It's part of what I find appealing about techno. Is anyone here going to seriously say that programming a computer requires the same skill as to play an instrument like Yo-Yo Ma? For the most part, I don't even see people play their synth lines during a live PA. It's just buttons pushed on a sequencer.

it is no different to a classical composer - some classical composers use a trial and error approach and others write music which is already pre-conceived in their head. I'm a fully trained violinist - have played in the melbourne symphony orchestra blah blah whatever... and make techno - and they are as challenging and difficult as each other, just in different ways...

See above. I wasn't talking about appreciating a composition. I'm talking about the genre snobbery where someone has to explain to me why a song programmed on a computer is so groundbreaking even though I don't feel it. Sorry, but that doesn't move me and I often find it to be unfounded hype. So, when it comes to such music/discussion, I'd rather listen to someone playing an instrument before programming a computer.

This is an old and frankly quite pathetic argument, of Electronic Composition versus Real instruments, and not something I would expect from a forum like this.
I can play the guitar, the drums, the piano, bass guitar, and a bit of flute.
It`s a mechanical skill. Anyone can learn it.
The same as programming is a mechanical skill.
The talent lies in the musical ability.
To think you can just randomly bash away at a computer and come up with a good tune is so naieve.

there is a certian subset of musicians who for reasons unknown adhere to the false premise that "electronic" music or the tools involved imply a lack of creativity of inspired performance. Technology in the hands of creative, intelligent individuals is a tool for art, not a hindrance.

G-whizz
22-03-2005, 01:15 PM
here is a certian subset of musicians who for reasons unknown adhere to the false premise that "electronic" music or the tools involved imply a lack of creativity of inspired performance. Technology in the hands of creative, intelligent individuals is a tool for art, not a hindrance.

but thats another argument all togeather ..... sometimes too much technology can be hindrance , creativly speaking ... look at liam howlett as and example !

The Divide
22-03-2005, 02:09 PM

This is an old and frankly quite pathetic argument, of Electronic Composition versus Real instruments, and not something I would expect from a forum like this.
To think you can just randomly bash away at a computer and come up with a good tune is so naieve.

there is a certian subset of musicians who for reasons unknown adhere to the false premise that "electronic" music or the tools involved imply a lack of creativity of inspired performance. Technology in the hands of creative, intelligent individuals is a tool for art, not a hindrance.

Couldnt have said better myself

miss bass
22-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Couldnt have said better myself

no you couldnt really could you.

neither could i.

Tony
22-03-2005, 02:56 PM
i could....

what are we talking about??

G-whizz
22-03-2005, 02:58 PM
i could....

what are we talking about??

:lol:

yeah I think its slightly off topic at this stage (no help from me and my ramblings either ) :shock:

miss bass
22-03-2005, 03:01 PM
horse

278d7e64a374de26f==