PDA

View Full Version : brazilian music is f'n nuts

sash
20-03-2005, 02:51 AM
A few weeks ago i went to an engagement party at some Brazilian restaurant. I wasn't expecting much from the night except gettin pissed n havin a good time.
Around 9pm, as the crowd of about 300 - 400 were finishing off their deserts, the Brazilian band began playin and the show began.

The band consisted of about 15 people. singers, percussionists, trumpet players, drummers...some guy with a stick scrapping it along a cheese grater. The band was fark'n rockin. It sounded like techno i shit u not. It was absolutely goin off. The funny thing was most tracks were around the 150 - 160 bpm range and the whole place was rockin. Old people and little kids were all rockin it.

This experience just made me think that it dosent really matter what b.p.m range u produce ur music at cuz if it's good then it's gonna work anyway.

I've read a lot of producers focus in on the 135 - 137 b.p.m range as that's the average clubbers heart rate, but maybe producers shouldn't be focusing in on the science of dance music too much and just producing what feels right.

I say this cuz a lot of my friends don't come out with me to tek/ acid tek nights cuz they say it's too fast. I feel i'm pushing shit uphill trying to explain to my friends that B.P.M shouldn't really matter too much cuz if the dj's good then he will rock the party no matter what the speed of the music is. Then again maybe we all swing to a different metronome.

I guess it all comes back to that 'should science and art mix' question.

I'll stop blabbering on now but i just gotta say that Brazilian music is ****in the best cultural music i've ever heard and they seriously know how to party. Very tekky :)

sash
20-03-2005, 03:02 AM
sorry just one more thing too say. i constantly hear people saying that music over a certain b.p.m (usually around the 135 mark) starts to become druggy.
This could not be further from the truth i reckon cuz i surely can't imagine all the old people and little kids being ****ed up on drugs dancing while the Brazilian band was playin at a crackin 150 - 160 b.p.m range.

I think an experience like this can change the way u think when producing music. I'll leave now.

da hound
20-03-2005, 04:24 AM
gettin influence from other styles is a good thing

MARKEG
20-03-2005, 04:29 AM
mate i was in a bar in brazil on my own when they booked me there and suddenly it all went off. ppl singing, dancing, it was mental.. loved it... this is the key to the future i think. listen to other ppl and take onboard their atmosphere. the brazilians are a law onto themselves. great ppl, musically out there, and totally on their own level. great inspriration :)

278d7e64a374de26f==