PDA

View Full Version : Something you should try

AcidTrash
20-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Last year I was in Strasbourg sharing a room with my friend. As my friend snores with incredible volume I was compelled to take my rucksack and bugger off to Frankfurt about 4am as there was no way I was going to get any sleep. The hotel was some distance from the train station and I did not know Strasbourg that well at the time so I figured I'd kill some time by walking round the city.

I had with me a long play minidisc recorder and was playing a mix of mine through headphones at full blast. By the end of the mix I noticed I'd recorded the whole soundtrack of Predator as I was looking for samples the week before. I thoiught it would be amusing to walk around listening to it. As Predator is not especially dialogue intensive all I was getting was gunfire, jungle noises and explosions.

By this time it was 5am and the city was deserted. Wandering rouind a quiet city hearing only the sounds of war is incredibly surreal. Espcially when the sights are street sweepers and busses. Having taken one earphone out it creates a bizzare backdrop of sounds. One source from a war torn jungle mixed with urban France. The doppler effect caused by a passing tram (which nearly hit me due to not paying attention) was highly informative about sound dynamics and I ended up recording the next tram that passed. I've just rescued the sound from an old disc so I'm putting it into the live PA for with a left/right sweeping pan, possibly with the gunfire sounds from predator.

It's one of the best ways to weird yourself out without taking LSD. Next year I want to go to a jungle with a recording of the bustling sounds of Leeds at 5am in my earphones and see how much that messes me up.

Or I could get some help.

loopdon
20-03-2005, 07:38 AM
nice read.

stjohn
20-03-2005, 08:49 PM
sometimes if im not bothered to pay for a taxi home from the city contre ill walk (about 1hr40min). but i have to go through the Phoenix Park which is the biggest enclosed park in europe. mad shit goes on in there .... but if i have a few pints or something else in me, ill walk thru with my earfones on and freak myself out. i usually end up jogging most of the way but i always wake up the next day feelin great that i didnt waste €15 on a taxi.

Mindful
22-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Try 2001 a space oddissy for top soundtrack to freakyourself out to :twisted:

278d7e64a374de26f==