PDA

View Full Version : Acid Techno 2

dirty_bass
22-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, the last thread got way of topic.
Essentially, the point is, your contribution is just as valid here, so please join in.

miss bass
22-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Natasha ON TOPIC:

My experience with Acid techno is not too great so its hard for me to go too in deapth.....

What i have heard from the Acid techno genre is not to my personal taste. Just generally not into the ultra fast loops with hardcore acid noises, which generally is not a sound i dig. ( this is a generalisation as ive only listened to several acid tech sets and tuneage although im sure there is plenty of slower??)

BUT

I appreciate the fact, like all genres, there are good bits and bad bits. And im sure like all genres, there are people whether well known or not trying to push the music a little more - which is great.

There is room for every person in music and there is room for any style of music or sound. We all simply carry on listening to music that makes us say 'OOO yeaaah' and try to appreciate as many styles and tuneage we can even when not to our tastes.
I appreciate the fact someone has got up off their ass to try and create something they think its great even if i think its 'bullshit'.

If people can put me right about my generalisation of Acid Techno being hard fast loops with acid noises then id be grateful! I dont like to limit myself musically on what i like, so from a 'personal taste view', it would be nice to proven wrong as id love to know another genre that has music i like.

(If i babbled too much blame the fat woman)

mrbenn
22-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Natasha ON TOPIC:

My experience with Acid techno is not too great so its hard for me to go too in deapth.....

What i have heard from the Acid techno genre is not to my personal taste. Just generally not into the ultra fast loops with hardcore acid noises, which generally is not a sound i dig. ( this is a generalisation as ive only listened to several acid tech sets and tuneage although im sure there is plenty of slower??)

BUT

I appreciate the fact, like all genres, there are good bits and bad bits. And im sure like all genres, there are people whether well known or not trying to push the music a little more - which is great.

There is room for every person in music and there is room for any style of music or sound. We all simply carry on listening to music that makes us say 'OOO yeaaah' and try to appreciate as many styles and tuneage we can even when not to our tastes.
I appreciate the fact someone has got up off their ass to try and create something they think its great even if i think its 'bullshit'.

If people can put me right about my generalisation of Acid Techno being hard fast loops with acid noises then id be grateful! I dont like to limit myself musically on what i like, so from a 'personal taste view', it would be nice to proven wrong as id love to know another genre that has music i like.

(If i babbled too much blame the fat woman)

Bravo :clap:

Jimfish
22-03-2005, 05:19 PM
yeah im not into acid techno (the london kind) and never really have been, but i remember hearing a track on john peels show a couple of years back - on wahwah i think, and i have to say, kudos to the guy that programmed that ****er, whilst it was so ott it was like a parody of itself it was also incredibly complex and a testament to the production skills of whoever wrote it. So while i may not be into it i can still recognise when somthing is good, and i do think its a perfectly valid kind of music, and shouldnt be such a 'dirty word' amonst the wider techno scene. Maybe if it had been allowed more integration with the rest of the techno scene it may have evolved a little better?

Also, not so much to do with the music, but the acid techno producers i have met, albeit briefly, are a refreshing change to the usual anal, up-themselves techno producers (who all seem to have had major sense of humour bypasses) that i normally seem to meet!

Honeey
22-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I really like good acid techno played right....it makes me dance....hard.

crazyd
22-03-2005, 05:46 PM
dirty bass you should know better to say acid techno sits its corner and says nothing,listening to nothing else and flogging a dead horse.surely by saying that you are saying 'techno only listeners' are just the same

natasha there is loads of acid techno thats not just hard acid loops repeated fast,look at labels like race trax,apex,wah wah,raw,cluster max min,stay up forever and be educated

dirty_bass
22-03-2005, 06:13 PM
dirty bass you should know better to say acid techno sits its corner and says nothing,listening to nothing else and flogging a dead horse.surely by saying that you are saying 'techno only listeners' are just the same

I never said anything about flogging a dead horse, my initial post in the other thread was a little poke at the acid techno section of this forum, cos no one seemed to come out of there.

I`ve started this thread to get acid techno people involved so don`t start poking at me, or I`ll put you back in your box and send you back to the zoo.

miss bass
22-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Also, not so much to do with the music, but the acid techno producers i have met, albeit briefly, are a refreshing change to the usual anal, up-themselves techno producers (who all seem to have had major sense of humour bypasses) that i normally seem to meet!

Thats wonderful, its what its all about . :rambo:

mrbenn
22-03-2005, 09:01 PM

This is very true, most acid techno dj's are willing to play free partys, chat with there fans & generally enjoy a good party. The original ideas of acid techno & free partys are what got me interested in techno in the first place.

davethedrummer
22-03-2005, 09:14 PM
it's a style of music born from having fun on a saturday night / sunday morning.
that's what it's all about.
not to everyones taste but there's always something in there that most people can get into.
it can get a bit repetative at times , but then what doesn't?
it's definately anti-snob so generally producers and djs of it are easy going as people.
as has been said before theres not so much 303 these days purely because there is just so much more you can do without the silver box.
once you add a 303 it tends to dominate things.
like it or hate it , it has it's moments , and is still valid in the big picture.
and chris liberator is still the best acid techno dj i.m.o.

samba
22-03-2005, 10:23 PM
The main thing I love about acid techno (a la S.U.F) is its crack up, attitude laden, cheeky, anti capitalist, punky f uck off nature! Its tracks and track names that are full of the black humour vibe that does it for me (eg. bad day at black fog, did u spill my pint - no it must have been me, one night in hack, magnum force etc etc etc).

Its the way its always been played just as much as the tracksbeing played. The constant cutting of chris lib, the paradoodling :eh: of Henry etc etc. The music (yes because its very repetitive) lends itself well to these shananigans. This is largely because of the sharp clicky percussive patterns (my favourite attribute of the sound!). (boom click boom click boom click boom click click^ hahaa)

The sound at the moment is really fresh and the sound is being represented by some talented stalwarts (go max/min, powertools etc farkin brilliance)

but WTF is up with RAW. That stuff so predictable, repetive formulated etdc etc. And from one of the biggest names in the game too... i really dont get that one. Maybe i need more K...

Whilst ive moved away from acid more these days, still holds a firm place and my heart and is responsible for getting me into anything electronic. - long live!!

ACID........... IS GOOD

CORROSIVE
22-03-2005, 10:42 PM
i love acid techno, and everything techno. TECHNO IS THE DON!! AND SO IS ACID TECHNO. imo

dan the acid man
22-03-2005, 10:43 PM
my first intro to acid techno was via plastikmans artefakts bc (what an album), i was then later introduced to the london acid techno.

I just class this sound as peak time party techno, with some nice dark tangents here and there :cool:

Dabble
23-03-2005, 10:34 AM
hes from leeds also, used to be a resident at our night, got an amazing studio , boy gunna do good clap.gif

Nice one Fusion, never knew that but it all sounds good mate :)

nihilist
23-03-2005, 05:37 PM
nice one samba couldnt have put it better

OriginalTechnobastard
23-03-2005, 06:07 PM
I still am not convinced about it. Its OK in a club, but I don't love it. Then again I didn't fully researched it but it didn't catch me to do that in the first place!

tocsin
23-03-2005, 06:38 PM
it's a style of music born from having fun on a saturday night / sunday morning.
that's what it's all about.
not to everyones taste but there's always something in there that most people can get into.
it can get a bit repetative at times , but then what doesn't?
it's definately anti-snob so generally producers and djs of it are easy going as people.

Man, do I agree with that. The acid sound is what peaked my interest in techno simply because the 303 produced a sound I'd never heard before. The very small number of people I've met in my location who like acid techno are usually very much about it, but listen to and spin just about everything. For everything else I like and spin myself, it's a lot more anal. People into hardcore are incredibly picky a lot of the time. If it's not "hardcore," it sucks. And then you get the funny infighting about subgenres. It was amusing when it was tongue and cheek but really stupid when people seemed to take it seriously. Breaks? Same deal. Techno? Same deal. I think the attitudes, which seemed more driven by marketing hype than anything else to me, really helped **** things up around NYC, among other things of course. I dunno. I do think the 303 can fit in with any style of music. I think that may have something to do with why a number of the acid heads I know are into so many different styles of music as
well. Or, it's a very strange coincidence. My first love for techno will always be acid. The sound just moves in the same fashion like a roller coaster for me with the energy.

OriginalTechnobastard
23-03-2005, 06:52 PM
how sweet :lol:

AcidTrash
23-03-2005, 10:22 PM
I really like good acid techno played right....it makes me dance....hard.

:lol: :lol: me too. if it don't make me jiggle a bit it then its just rubbish. :lol:

AcidTrash
23-03-2005, 10:27 PM
The main thing I love about acid techno (a la S.U.F) is its crack up, attitude laden, cheeky, anti capitalist, punky f uck off nature! Its tracks and track names that are full of the black humour vibe that does it for me (eg. bad day at black fog, did u spill my pint - no it must have been me, one night in hack, magnum force etc etc etc).

Its the way its always been played just as much as the tracksbeing played. The constant cutting of chris lib, the paradoodling :eh: of Henry etc etc. The music (yes because its very repetitive) lends itself well to these shananigans. This is largely because of the sharp clicky percussive patterns (my favourite attribute of the sound!). (boom click boom click boom click boom click click^ hahaa)

The sound at the moment is really fresh and the sound is being represented by some talented stalwarts (go max/min, powertools etc farkin brilliance)

but WTF is up with RAW. That stuff so predictable, repetive formulated etdc etc. And from one of the biggest names in the game too... i really dont get that one. Maybe i need more K...

Whilst ive moved away from acid more these days, still holds a firm place and my heart and is responsible for getting me into anything electronic. - long live!!

ACID........... IS GOOD

I'd agree with all of that really. WTF is up with Raw? I adore acid and geezer stuff but it's a label never really captured my imagination.

ollie303
23-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I'd agree with all of that really. WTF is up with Raw? I adore acid and geezer stuff but it's a label never really captured my imagination.

29 & 30 are 2of my fav records of the moment, esp 30 :love:

G-BO
23-03-2005, 10:51 PM
i think acid techno offres no inspiration to any music fan when it comes to production or arrangement

it has its place, well one can argue trance music has its place in the music scene, no point defending ist credibility, just like what u like

OriginalTechnobastard
23-03-2005, 10:56 PM
I agree

samba
23-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Well gee bro, that was deep mate. ;)

So acid techno has offered no inspiration to any music fan anywhere?

I'd argue that it was acid techno that helped inspire Adam Beyer to write 'The Conversation'

And the mid 90's productions of Josh Wink, ummm totally un inspirational - infact they weren't even acid techno :doh:

As Napolean Dynamite would say "sheeeeeees such an idiot shhrrrghh"

OriginalTechnobastard
23-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry but can I say it has a check box and most people out of Europe neither understand or support Techno(And it comes across as well!) right? Yes 303 and all that but there is a lot more!

samba
23-03-2005, 11:14 PM
come again?

OriginalTechnobastard
24-03-2005, 07:24 AM
(Acid Techno) The music has time and place I've suppose then again most people listen to music this way(depending on location, mood) But what I meant is European scene is more compact in terms of clubs, mags, and record stores so people generally have better idea about electronic music. Not always!

Ginjin
24-03-2005, 08:07 AM
(Acid Techno) The music has time and place I've suppose then again most people listen to music this way(depending on location, mood) But what I meant is European scene is more compact in terms of clubs, mags, and record stores so people generally have better idea about electronic music. Not always!

Dude you need to step out of Europe and see the world and open your ears.

OriginalTechnobastard
24-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Not being offensive like! I think electronic music is more compact in Europe then other parts of the world! Not to say there isn't a scene in other parts of the world but there is stronger one in Europe then anywhere else! If its not true, good! More techno scenes, the better!

crime
24-03-2005, 08:26 AM
so what about Communique, Dropbass, early UR, old missile, and that kind of acid? Djax-up are currently rereleasing Edge of motion "Set up 707" and releasing fresh old skool acid... no disrespect to the london guys but I always preferred this, more gritty and dirtier sounding...

Ginjin
24-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Not being offensive like! I think electronic music is more compact in Europe then other parts of the world! Not to say there isn't a scene in other parts of the world but there is stronger one in Europe then anywhere else! If its not true, good! More techno scenes, the better!

I can accept that Europe has the strongest all encompassing "techno" scene, it bloody obvious. I just thourght I'd point out that doesn't nessersary mean all the good and better ideas come out of Europe.
Dont write off the rest of the world just yet. The scene in South America looks like its gaining momentum.

OriginalTechnobastard
24-03-2005, 09:13 AM
nope I haven't! More ideas and more widespread = better! Long as its not shite

mrbenn
24-03-2005, 02:56 PM
I like a bit of old skool ala hardfloor everynow and then

http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF169848-01-01-01.mp3

What about martyn hare & woody mcbride surely alot of non acid heads listen to their shit? They produce alot of fresh sounding acid tracks, well fresh in terms of your usuall london stuff

http://www.juno.co.uk/search.php?q=martyn+hare&precision=any&column=all

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/144858-01.htm

Rob acid does some corking tracks well

[/url]http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF71968-01-01-01.mp3

Rog
24-03-2005, 04:26 PM
i buy acid techno - i'm just picky with what i buy, the point of all music in my mind is: its good fun & has a community - then depending on the style it has a home..

if you play & only like one sub genre your limitin yourself..

buy/produce/play/enjoy all that you like - don't worry about the rest - just respect that other people do like it - i don't like robbie williams - but shed loads of people do..

ciao

mrbenn
24-03-2005, 05:08 PM
don't like robbie williams

You Dont???? why not ?! :cry:

Rog
29-03-2005, 08:45 AM
^ its not my thing - but some people like it - so good for them.. like what you like ;)

DJ WMD
02-04-2005, 01:30 AM
acid techno is dead
long live acid techno !

DJ WMD
02-04-2005, 01:37 AM
acid techno needs to start getting a lot harder and darker again !
i think cluster 70 by jeff amadeus is the way forward and the routemaster label moves from strength to strength.
maybe what i have got to say won't go down so well, but here goes, i think some artists have oversaturated the acid techno scene with piss poor releases, many labels with really awesome roots like hydraulix/powertools have gone really candyfloss !
take note cos a lot of acid techno djs/hard techno djs will just but more german/european hard techno labels. in my humble opinion

AcidTrash
02-04-2005, 04:32 AM
i think some artists have oversaturated the acid techno scene with piss poor releases

Yeah pretty much. I find a lot of the last years stuff to be wierd for the sake of it but not in a particularly entertaining way. Some lovely drum loops and then just some ineffectual swirly noises with pitch bends that don't seem to really bring anything to an acid party. Much of the RAW label has been a bit lame much though I love geezers acid work and Max Min is a label I just don't get at all. Last year it was pretty much Hydraulix and Powertools doing the donkey work. I can't really remember an SUF "Must have" release last year.

I really miss stuff like havok that didn't pander do all the production dogsh*te and just went with something funny or evil but still in the realms of party music.

Same with anything though. The minute people take it too seriously and pretend it's sophisticated it ends up being very boring.

DJ WMD
02-04-2005, 04:20 PM
shit i looked at my post realised its -ive.
everyone isinto what they want i guess. and i think when once underground djs canafford flashhomes/cars/holidays maybe they lose thir gritty edge.
best to keep acidtechno underground where it belongs.iknow lots of cheesy acid techno dj wannabees they have the latest raw/suf , imo they are joke and their music sucksas a result

dirty_bass
02-04-2005, 05:08 PM
it`s just a case of losing itnerest, you can only make one type of music for so long before it becomes unchallenging and uninteresting, and you feel the need to move on.
I wouldn`t say any of the original acid tech producers have lost their edge, but their interest lies in other forms of music.

Rog
02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
as dirtybass says: moved on..

if they didn't they could just remix old stuff - which has been done.. yes - but this is usually because of a want or demand from people after "original" cuts

FILTERZ
05-04-2005, 03:47 PM
ACID ISNT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY

dan the acid man
05-04-2005, 04:12 PM
now henrys new remix on vicious circle is what 303 acid techno is all about :cool:

Will
06-04-2005, 03:29 AM
I like hard techno that uses 303's in the intro, get acid heads hopes up, only to be dashed! I wouldn't say acid techno was cheesy, but it's that little bit cheesier than most other forms of techno, though you get the odd good example. It'd be better if the 303's were used in a more subtle way, were more in the background I think.

Plus it seems to have abandoned the sort of sound from a while back that sounded the best, but you can't just use the same sound forever I suppose...

j_s
06-04-2005, 02:52 PM
It'd be better if the 303's were used in a more subtle way, were more in the background I think.

i dont think 303s like to take the back seat. it's quite a rich sound & tends to lose its character when its not given enough room in a track....

LuizK
06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
A like acid a lot and im very glad that AlexS spent some time working at Europe and came back with acidlabels some years ago, starting the acid scene in Brasil.

The djs are all good persons, we like then a lot and i hope the london suf crew keep coming for many years, lots here wait for the gigs many weeks after.

The acid (with the 303 or not) make my mind twisted and people here really like dance their productions.
the new labels are high quality to me, im loving the way some labels are beeing make, and we will keep the acid partys alive here no doubt about it.

[ ]
[ ]

samba
07-04-2005, 03:45 AM
parabems manu

LuizK
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
parabems manu

Valeu! [thanks]

LuizK
08-04-2005, 12:58 PM
parabems manu

Valeu!

[thanks]

fresh_an_funky_design
08-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Also, not so much to do with the music, but the acid techno producers i have met, albeit briefly, are a refreshing change to the usual anal, up-themselves techno producers (who all seem to have had major sense of humour bypasses) that i normally seem to meet![/quote]

Definetly agree with you there, all the s-u-f producers that i've met have been really down to earth nice people. Not like some dj's who think there a-list celebs

fresh_an_funky_design
08-04-2005, 01:33 PM
think some artists have oversaturated the acid techno scene with piss poor releases, many labels with really awesome roots like hydraulix/powertools have gone really candyfloss !

I think hydraulix's sound has got much better recently. Label sounds do change over time. If you listen to some of the first s-u-f releases there completetly different sound and style of production to what they are now. With hydraulix, henry's taste in techno has obviously changed since hydraulix 1 and this change in taste will no doubt be reflected in what gets released on hydraulix.

I personally feel that with the s-u-f collective labels they release some absolutley amazing tunes however i also feel they release a lot of shite. Its like some of the tunes that they release i personally can't understand how they ever got pressed.

Please don't take this as an insult to london techno as i do like it and buy it, i just feel they need to have better quality control

278d7e64a374de26f==