PDA

View Full Version : Multi Effects - Alesis Quadraverb - Boss SE-50 - any good?

anode
23-03-2005, 02:18 PM
im lookin at gettn a cheap multi effects unit...

what do you think of the Boss SE-50 or maybe the Quadraverb?

cheerz
:cool:

John Ferraris
23-03-2005, 03:12 PM
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/

Basil Rush
23-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Computers are better than most cheap multieffects unless you reallly really want outboard (and hiss and dirty coonnections and power supplies everywhere...) I guess if you're taking the stuff on the road though you might want outboard.

John Ferraris
23-03-2005, 08:39 PM
I picked up a TC Electronic M300 off ebay for £70. Sounds pretty mint for the price, esp. longer reverbs. Has 1 engine for multiFX and one for reverb. Only problem is the multiFX is absolutley shite :lol:

anode
23-03-2005, 10:41 PM
nar **** the computers gimme outboard :clap:

auditory hallucinations
24-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my outboard fx...currently got an Alesis Multi-fx unit which sounds pretty nice but the interface is slowly starting to die.

Anyone recommend a good quality all-round multi-fx box? Been looking at the Lexicon MPX-1 but some of the reviews seem to say it's pretty difficult to program.

I just want good quality delays and chorus effects with enough presets so I can run my tb303 & filter output through. I don't mind learning something new but would prefer to stay away from anything too fiddly.

Peas.

Evil G
24-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my outboard fx...currently got an Alesis Multi-fx unit which sounds pretty nice but the interface is slowly starting to die.

Anyone recommend a good quality all-round multi-fx box? Been looking at the Lexicon MPX-1 but some of the reviews seem to say it's pretty difficult to program.

I just want good quality delays and chorus effects with enough presets so I can run my tb303 & filter output through. I don't mind learning something new but would prefer to stay away from anything too fiddly.

Peas.

i don't think the MPX-1 is difficult to program at all. you want to edit a reverb, press edit, then reverb, then use the arrows to go to the param you want to change. same with assigning modifiers. press edit, then patch, then assign whatever midi controller to whatever parameter. it can even learn which midi controller to use if you fiddle the nob on your midi controller (i use an oxygen). configuring the routing is a bit more complicated, but that's what manuals are for.

my only complaints about the MPX-1 is that there are only 50 spots for user programs, and no good distortions (there is an overdrive, but it's pretty tame). there are 200 presets, and some of them are pretty good. the reverbs are nice. you can usually squeeze in 2 or 3 fx in addition to reverb before it runs out of dsp.

RDR
25-03-2005, 09:13 AM
My mate has the SE-70 and he swears by it. i've used it and it rocks.
cant comment on the SE-50 tho'

fresh_an_funky_design
25-03-2005, 08:18 PM
the alesis quardraverb is a good buy, you can save your settings which is usefull. Get a nice reverb off it as well

carltaylor43
26-03-2005, 01:01 AM
you might want to check out the MPX 500 / 550 from Lexicon as well, nice unit & ou can get them pretty cheap as well + its dead easy to use..

I used to have an SE50, really liked it, good phaser.. the internal battery was duff though, so I couldnt save any settings..

anode
26-03-2005, 04:29 AM
should be ok if the battery is working yer?

carltaylor43
28-03-2005, 02:10 AM
yeah I think you would be happy with it.. not exactly world beating reverbs, but sometimes crap reverb sounds better on techno / electro stuff...

carltaylor43
28-03-2005, 02:11 AM
BTW I woudnt pay a lot for one either, you shoud be able to get them really cheap.

anode
30-03-2005, 05:57 AM
cheers ;)

im on the hunt!

278d7e64a374de26f==