PDA

View Full Version : a little 'tip' from me

massplanck
21-05-2003, 03:40 PM
wanna give those half-finished tunes of yours a new lease of life? wanna some nice subtle background percussion going on in your tracks ALA carola/gaetek.

well this is how i do it.

mixdown a 1/2/4 bar loop of one of your 'dead' tracks (include everything except the kick). Cut all the bass below 300-400 hz and cut the top end untill you have a fairly 'thin' sliver of sound left , remember no booming bass and no hi fre harshness.. then save. Start a new track, add the treated 'loop' and let it sit subtly in the background and for greater effect use slight narrow banded eq sweeps up and down or use an automated filter effect.. add your kicks, perc , hihats, and usual bitsl around and hopefully you'll have a a nice full sounding track ... always does the trick for me :)

if you want an example of how i did this you could listen to some of my OLD OLD tunes up on mp3.com (dont judge me on these i've been hard at work since!! (will post some new ones)) www.mp3.com/massplanck and listen to 'killnetwork'.. the main 'groove' of the track was done in a similar way.. i converted an old tune to a rex file and did the above

anyway.. give it a shot

Xtraction
29-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Good advice. I'm glad to hear people finally talk some worthy noise about production.

Tr3v0r

loopdon
22-10-2004, 10:21 PM
nice 1 and u can always do it the other way round as well:

take yer track, remove the tops (+mids if u like) an layer it with or better under your track.... i love this so much right now :love: :love: :love:

i suppose lots of 'big names' do this as well!

read about this in the following thread:

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=923&highlight=subbass

or juz apply both techniques :cool:

yorkie
22-10-2004, 10:25 PM
sounds plausible.

will have to give that a try ;)

Agility
02-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah, Good idea- shall give it a blast. :)

dulash
02-11-2004, 11:45 AM
:clap:

RDR
03-11-2004, 12:45 PM
Been doing this for ages, it does work, but you have to be careful vis-a-vis the frequencies in the older track.

You can also go further in chopping up the loop in a slicer and adding effects. A little light flange with long sweep will provide interest in the loop without being too obvious.

massplanck
03-11-2004, 11:48 PM
Been doing this for ages, it does work, but you have to be careful vis-a-vis the frequencies in the older track.

You can also go further in chopping up the loop in a slicer and adding effects. A little light flange with long sweep will provide interest in the loop without being too obvious.

Jesus I posted this a year and a half ago!

RE: Frequencies the other track. Best way to find which freq's to remove is to use an eq plugin and scan the spectrum with narrow boost . Go hard on it and es you sweep along make note of where is sounds most horrible (distortion type sound) and .... cut.

on another note.. get two/three/four identical loops you have made lash em into abelton and have hp & lp filters going in all directions and make another 4 bar loop out of the results. Repeat step one and cut out those shitty sounds/bass & highs.

auditory hallucinations
04-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey,

Yeh I've started doing this and it's cool…I've also started to bounce down a one / two bar loop (minus the kick) of whatever I've been working on before I power down, whether it was good or not.

Then, the next time I power it all on, I just bring the last loop in and have it sit there subtly, ready for mangling - as the original post said. The cool thing is, it gives you something to start with, and this original loop kinda transforms across different projects and improves all the time - neat!

RDR
04-11-2004, 01:38 PM
didnt notice the date on that post 'mass'.

Its a good trick no doubt. Horses for courses, if it sounds good, use it.

278d7e64a374de26f==