PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen or heard of this???

BombJack
24-03-2005, 12:07 PM
We all know about denormals screwing up cubase, but has anyone heard of this???

Last night I was writing a new track, and off the top of my head the following running:

3 Instances of Mach5 running with approx 4 or 5 samples in each instance with a sprinkling of onboard Mach5 fx.

2 instances of Absynth3.

Approx a dozen audio tracks, mostly dry, some with maybe Waves C1 over the top.

All this had my cpu efficiency in cubase sx2 running at a measly max of 20% or so on my P4 lappie.

Now here's the issue...

I always end up doing engineering work as I go along when writing a track, so I'll do wee bits of eq here and there on some audio tracks. However, on some of the tracks (some hats and shakers I think...) I was attempting to eq out some of the low end of these items and as I was doing this I ended up getting CPU spikes rendering cubase unuseable - I almost complete lockdown.

This is the first time I have noticed this, but it made me think...
In tracks I have produced previously which have topped out in CPU I have ended up bouncing down vsts and fx and shit to free up CPU, as you would. This has resulted in a modicum of success. Likewise, freezing vsts has only produced a slightly noticeable result as well. Could there be some bugs in cubase which produce these spikes when using the inbuilt eq??? I can't remember the exact version I'm running, but I'm pretty sure it's a fairly recent update...

As a slight aside, what eq's do most people here use??? If using Cubase or Logi, do you use the inbuilt native eq or 3rd party plugs? (I realise some fancy dans will actually have hardware desks...)
And also do people do their eqing and stuff as they write, or is this kind of thing always left till the end once a kind of sensible arrangement has been made for a track?

How do you do it???

Cheers

BombJack

carltaylor43
26-03-2005, 01:05 AM
I use the Sonalksis EQ, probably the best one ive heard on a PC VST system.

I EQ as I go along + at the end when im just concentrating on the mix.. tweaking stuff to get it right.

nova
26-03-2005, 09:54 AM
back on the freez thing. ive had like loads of instances of kontakt going. i dunno loads of single sounds in keysplits and what not. logics channel eq's, fx, stuff in audio. track auto till it jammed. then froze aload of channels. and it sorted. the fx freeze with the channels i think.

i phoned emagic tec support wile back. they said for me better computer faster or new os for my mac or for logic

whats c1 like? i thinking of getting a comp

Mindful
26-03-2005, 10:26 PM
whats c1 like? i thinking of getting a comp

The Waves c1 is one of the best software comps you can get.

Or its one of the best software comps that I use.

All the waves comps are perty good mate.

nova
26-03-2005, 10:41 PM
nic,

those bundles are price'e. just gonna get a waves comp to start with

278d7e64a374de26f==