PDA

View Full Version : Minimal but hard and energetic?

The Divide
26-03-2005, 05:34 PM
When I mix my tracks together I have noticed that things get a bit busy with little room to bring more sounds and elements in. So for now I’m going to work on tracks which have space in them but hopefully sound pretty big and prominent rhythms. Less layering and more control over the mix

Track with some new ideas click here to download (http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_06.mp3)

Cheers

mrbenn
26-03-2005, 06:44 PM
I love the hard minimal sound, the tracks allways seem to have a lot more energy as individual sounds can be heavily emphasised without the problem of crowding the mix.

I like sound of this track so far, especially the reverb on the kick drum, images of Nazi SS guards marching through berlin spring to mind :lol: quality marching music :clap:

The Divide
26-03-2005, 08:19 PM
images of Nazi SS guards marching through berlin spring to mind :lol: quality marching music :clap:

:shock:

hahahaha sweet

new bits (http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_13.mp3)

xfive
26-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Very nice man, two thumbs up :clap: The overall tone is very creepy and the couple of vocal snippets are used nicely.
I think the kick could be a tad more present though.

Finish it! :rambo:

mrbenn
27-03-2005, 03:05 AM
looking forward to hearing the finished product :twisted: not to sure about the omen style vocal stabs though, the key changes are maybe a bit to obvious.

The Divide
27-03-2005, 04:06 AM
You have a point the omen style stabs. I like them but like you say, they're a bit predictable. Problem is when you try to play something a bit crazy it always ends up sounding out of key. Mite just use them in a small section like that break (or try again

I think theres room for some hats and possibly replace those shakers with something a bit more phatter. Maybe a space in the mid section too. Thing is when I fill them it will end up sounding cluttered. :doh:

mrbenn
27-03-2005, 04:23 PM
maybe if you slowly build the track slowly adding new elements it might sound less clutered. Or instead of layering new sections on top of each other you could add some stuff ie hats and then take another section out.
Just some ideas neway ;)

The Divide
27-03-2005, 08:58 PM
As it stands now...

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_15Inner_Sanctum.mp3

Gets pretty banging towards the end :twisted:

audioinjection
28-03-2005, 06:12 PM
phat shit :rambo:

smeerkees
28-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Not really my type of techno but it rocks! The only thing I noticed there's a bit too much reverb imo.

BRADLEE
28-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey man, that is one of the dopest tracks I've heard in quite some time man!!!! I love it and would bang the hell out of this!!!! :twisted: Great job man, I have no other comments!!! :clap:

The Divide
29-03-2005, 12:04 AM
Nice, glad everyones enjoying this as much as me. Thanks

I have decided to keep the omens style stabs. The only thing im unsure about is the vox on the mini break. I wanted to hold it back a little and then do something a bit surprising with it and from to me it works but perhaps it’s a bit over the top. What do you think? Heh

3916Inner Sanctum (http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_16M_Inner_Sanctum.mp3)

I will look into the reverb tomorrow thanks

Apex Beat
29-03-2005, 03:03 AM
The 'omen' style stabs seem a little too loud - perhaps bring the kick up to compensate? Maybe thats just me!

1:10 - Kick definitely seems to quiet to me but it does come back near the end. Dunno, maybe this is intentional.

MITA
31-03-2005, 01:34 PM
ive listened to this work/part of the work

i liked the starting part...production is well also... bass is awesome! ;)

then the break comes in and for me kind of loses the track of the tune..dun know...the break itself is ok...but it seems that has no connection with the parts before and after break..

little bit of rearrangment will do the trick....

MITA

The Divide
01-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I agree

The arrangement is the only thing I am haven’t been satisfied with so far.

Done another variation. Need to sleep on it before I decide if im happy with this. Once I get that cracked Ill edit the bitch

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_17RE-ARR-MA.mp3

BRADLEE
01-04-2005, 12:11 AM
OK, just gave a listen to the new version. Man I can't even express how much I really love this tune amigo!!! Maybe it's all of the dope noises and sick ass edits, but **** me running man, that is as I said before, one of the best techno tunes to hit my dirty soul in some time!!! Keep up all of the great work :clap:

Please let me know too when this is on wax. I'm going to buy multiple copies so I can bang each one into submission!!!! :twisted:

j_s
01-04-2005, 02:27 PM
nice stuff. sounds a bit disjointed to start with, but comes together as the tune progresses. love the way the percussion rolls & locks together. arrangement sounds good to me too....

stjohn
01-04-2005, 08:46 PM
sweet!!!! want this on vinyl!!!!! sweet!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :twisted:

stjohn
01-04-2005, 08:47 PM
the slovakian hard posse will lap this up!!!! toky etc.........

stjohn
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
the slovakian hard posse will lap this up!!!! toky etc.........

as will everyone else :neutral:

dirty_bass
01-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Sweet production
I like everything except those really annoying clanking sounds.
Everything sounds fresh except these bits which sound a little bit cliche clanking techno.

The Divide
03-04-2005, 02:57 AM
I like the clanks but they were a bit loud. I have used them more subtly to create space so I can work around them instead of making the track solely out of the clanks as the main riff.

Brought them better and changed a lot in this now. As far as the intro - break - back in its right. Probably just need to work the end of this track. Oh yea prolly getting a bit carried away with the real time delay tweaks in this one

:oops:

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_18EDMA.mp3

xfive
03-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Cool man.. the fx sound great... and I also like the submarine sonar ping sound hehehe

Sounds a bit disjointed from the rest of the track towards the end... but as you mentioned, you're workin on it :lol:

The Divide
04-04-2005, 01:58 PM
http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_20MA.mp3

Nearly done now :lol:

The Divide
08-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Worked it again now, going to truncate this version and add sounds into it before the breaks, etc. The old version was avin it but after a while I noticed there were too many problems with the arrangement and it was like I had tried to cut and paste 2 tracks together

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_12ma.mp3

Still a bit to do on this, didnt notice it was 8 mins till it was recorded like

Still looking for pointers

Thanks again

BRADLEE
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Brilliant Dan!!! Thats even more amazing now. You just keep adding tastie little bits to this thing right here. You could chop it down a bit time wise, Seems to lose direction to me for a minute. BUt dammit get this one done too. Quite good as well. :clap:

The Divide
09-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Wasnt too pleased with that when i woke up this morning

This version should work better....

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_15%20MA.mp3

stjohn
09-05-2005, 02:26 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

this is quality... but i LOVED the other mix...its 39-17-RE-ARR-MA. raw as f***, so im undecided.....

both are quality tho, and would be at home at a big huge rig at a big huge rave :twisted:

sash
09-05-2005, 10:52 AM
this is awesome! i'd buy this :-)

The Overfiend
09-05-2005, 11:39 AM
Speaking of buying, when you sending out again danny?

The Divide
09-05-2005, 11:45 AM
When uni work is done and the MPC arrives I’ll be going to back on it. Just having a bash as a break of the bloody essays

stjohn - The old version sounded like 2 versions mashed toegther, the plan is to complete this mix and then work on a version which has that hard kick in it. The problem I was having with that version was the lack of bass, when ever I put anything into it it interfered with the energy from the kick

stjohn
09-05-2005, 01:55 PM
understood.... i love the minimal approach...and when i heard that mix, it was pretty much what im aiming for in production.....

tuff, tribally-cyberific, dark!!

fair play on all accounts!!! both are rockin :clap:

massplanck
09-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Dont mean to be pedantic here but Divide when you say minimal & driving what part of 'minimal' are you trying to nail down here? I like the track a hell of alot but dont know what u mean?

cleanliness of sound?/space ?

The Divide
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Dont mean to be pedantic here but Divide when you say minimal & driving what part of 'minimal' are you trying to nail down here? I like the track a hell of alot but dont know what u mean?

cleanliness of sound?/space ?

Ignor the name, it started off minimal(ish) and then I changed it loads

The Divide
09-05-2005, 02:46 PM
What meant originally was techno that’s not layered up like a wall of sound just triggered midi sounds

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/3923MA.mp3

massplanck
09-05-2005, 03:15 PM
What meant originally was techno that’s not layered up like a wall of sound just triggered midi sounds

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/3923MA.mp3

bang on. right up my alley. Go Listen to some Tube-Jerk/Tim Wright stuff

I know what you are after and the best way I have found to do is basically make a track with many programs + hardware running alongside each other. All sequenced independently off one another or in cubase if you really really have to... but dont bounce down the audio :shock:

Basically the sweetest way (i think) to make music with this clarity is by having say my main drums and maybe one synth part from my RS7000 alongside a couple of little squeels extra hats from an electribe/ a loop or sound from abeleton / a few more hits from reason and a few notes from a VST like absynth and of course the sound of a cat shitting in Fruityloops . Looks messy but even though there looks like there is alot of stuff going on the amount of eqing & pissing about with the overall sound is minimal (excuse the pun). Everything just bounces of each other naturally in its own little separate audio hardware/manufacturers space. I hate bouncing down my hardware because the cleanliness i usually robbed at this stage so its a case of record the whole song out of the machines + pc to a MD or something.

I dunno if i tried to do this within just one app after bouncing down lots of parts it just stagnate and sounds like just another wall of sound.

anyway deadly track!!! and you wont know yourself when you get that MPC.

The Divide
09-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Heh thanks

I totally know what you mean about not wanting bounce to audio. Bouncing and using loops or waves in sx really does stump creativity for me (after working this way for a long time). Thing is I always keep on going until the cpu at its very limits and end up having no choice but to bounce to audio :doh: . Things get bloody confusing too. I would like to make the arrange page a bit more simple hence me buying the mpc.

At the min the sound sources are battery, Le Absynthe and SX. All bussed externally to hardware. I will have to start treating some of my sounds before i use them to make them bigger and take some pressure of the cpu.

Good advice

Im a sucker for reaktor as an fx plugin at the mo

BRADLEE
09-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Just get this one Done Dan. Once you have the proper go at it, send it out. I need this one on Vinyl amigo. :rambo:

massplanck
09-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Heh thanks

I totally know what you mean about not wanting bounce to audio. Bouncing and using loops or waves in sx really does stump creativity for me (after working this way for a long time).

MPC will fix this. You'll be able to start 'playing' the structure of a track out fully with the Akai in one go into Cubase and still being able to go back and fix little mistakes (midi) and then at the very very very end bounce to audio. I know we have these hardware/vs software dbates the whole time but you cant beat having a little box to go nuts with. Different shit just happens. The best thing for me about hardware is being able to pitch say 10 tracks pefectly in relation to one another in the space of a minute.. no ****ing assigning shite\no clicking... pitching something 'JUST' right can do away with the need for over intensive EQing and FX which can create that wall of sound which we hate yet need to hide bum notes\drums.

Anyway FFS I really dont think you need any help at all Divide.
:lol:

The Divide
17-05-2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_27mp3.mp3

Nearly done now

Gwan you know you want to :lol:

BRADLEE
17-05-2005, 01:18 AM
I really like the latest mix of this, but I miss those stabs that were in there before. :cry:

robin m
17-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Don't think I'm going to say much that hasn't said before, but this is ace... atmospheric, moody, varied and bangin at the same time. Hats off :clap:

The Divide
29-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Finished the 1st mix and I'm happy

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_29MA.mp3

Mite revert back to the older one with the harder kick

j_s
29-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Finished the 1st mix and I'm happy

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39_29MA.mp3

Mite revert back to the older one with the harder kick

this is fvckin baaaad.
you seem to have dumped some of my favourite elements from the older versions, but it still rocks like a bastard.

The Divide
31-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Cheers, glad you like. Don’t worry about the older version I'm going back to it, its a remix of the original unfinished edit :crackup:

http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39Bharder.mp3

stjohn
31-05-2005, 03:52 AM
this thread has more twists than Eastenders.... :lol:

i fell in love when i first heard it and have been following it since and its good to see you really giving it thought!

still unsure tho which on is my fav, is there low-end interference in the latest??? im not sure coz im just on earphones... apologies if not!

you chilled out on the clanker too!!! i thought that gave it a great drive!
i see where your coming from on each mix tho.... its hard to call!

as cilla's mate Our Graham says.....

the choice is yours!!!

The Divide
31-05-2005, 10:32 AM
hahahahahaha

Mindful
31-05-2005, 07:12 PM
They are both sick(a word all the cool kids are using :lol: )

yer a star mate

audioaddict
31-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Prefered the first one myself, the one with the clean 4/4 beat to start, tho am listening to the one at the bottom of the last page now and getting in to it.

Certainly is Sick :lol:

Just finished the 2nd version, I liked the way the kick changed suddenly before 3:00 but disappointed it didn't carry on :cry: a drop back into the main track at 3:09 would be awesome.

Mindful
31-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Just finished the 2nd version, I liked the way the kick changed suddenly before 3:00 but disappointed it didn't carry on :cry: a drop back into the main track at 3:09 would be awesome.

I dont know about that I like how it reverts back think it makes it intreasting

The Divide
31-05-2005, 09:34 PM
The problem I have with the really hard kick is the lack of bass, I mean I could just finish it and have it like that but for me it sounds like its missing something. Thing is i heard it out on a rig and it sounded like the bass was there :doh:

Mindful
31-05-2005, 09:50 PM
:eh: go buy a club then Dan :lol:

The Divide
01-06-2005, 01:11 AM
You think I'm made of money :lol:

Filtered the kick, changed a load of bits, its nowhere near finished yet.

Link (http://www.forbiddensilence.co.uk/audio/39BMIX04MA.mp3)

BRADLEE
01-06-2005, 01:21 AM
I like both of the previous versions here. So I'm going to dl this one as well.

Barely Human
01-06-2005, 07:46 AM
The problem I have with the really hard kick is the lack of bass, I mean I could just finish it and have it like that but for me it sounds like its missing something. Thing is i heard it out on a rig and it sounded like the bass was there :doh:

Was that when i playe it mate? Cause i layered another kick over the top..

I'll check this new version when i get back from work cause i ****in love this track :twisted:

The Divide
01-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Aye it was

278d7e64a374de26f==