PDA

View Full Version : Finish it

Mindful
26-03-2005, 11:29 PM
Hello!

was wandering if im the onley person in the world who has a problem adding those finishing touches to a track without loosing sight of the half good track that I allready have.

What I mean is at the moment I have an almost finished track its seaqenced from start to finish,I have programed all the main body or back bone if you like theres just little things I have to add to make it more than just an other rythm track but im scared to go any further because it allways seems to loose its raw edge when I get to the stage where I have to finish it.
I allways end up changing stuff that I have been loving for the past couple of days just to keep me intrested because Ive heard it so many times and need somting new to keep me entertained.
I usualy just start somthing new and the tune ive been thinking is the best piece of electronic music known to man ever just gets lost on my hard drive as yet another unfinished tune.

:rambo: this shit is so frustrating why cant I finish a ****ing track please help or else im destined to make locked grooves for the rest of my life :cry:

RDR
27-03-2005, 10:04 AM
its the same for all producers. you just have to get on with it. i find a good tip is to sequence out your tune extremely fast as this encourages your mind to be dynamic and gives you a better idea as to how the music should sound when played out.

it really is a case of suck it n see.

AcidTrash
28-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I sometimes go with the sequence as you write approach and if the track doesn't inspire me I'll bin it and start a new one.

RDR
28-03-2005, 05:16 PM
I sometimes go with the sequence as you write approach and if the track doesn't inspire me I'll bin it and start a new one.

exactly.

Mindful
28-03-2005, 09:05 PM
I realy cant bring myself to bin them tho

Maybe I should.
The track I was working on has become yet another hard drive casualty and I have moved on to somthing new today :doh:
If I cock this one up I realy dont know how im gonna ever finish a track and be happy with it.
I think I may just go for the bite the bullet and get it finished no matter what.

Thanks for your imput guys ;)

carltaylor43
28-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I know how you feel man... I get like this about a lot of tracks I make.. I think a lot of people do.. maybe you could

1. When you get stuck leave them on the HD for a bit till you come up with something, sometimes ive left a track for up to 6 months on the HD before I come back to finish it.

2. When you really cant think of anything else to do to it, say "thats it, its as finished as its gonna be, it is what it is"

3. Really get stuck in & make some desisions quick to finish it off..

Easyier said than done sometimes, like I say i can be the worst for ending tunes.. ive got one on the HD ive been doing since december.. usually I take between 2 and 14 days to finish a track.. what youll probably find though, is the more tracks you get done the more efficient you become about making desisions, the better you music gets & the more things you learn.. I say efficiant becuase that doesnt always mean youve got to rush.. sometimes its best to go quick, sometimes you are better spending time on different aspects, the trick is knowing when your wasting your time & when you are not...when a track is gonna be better for spending another 2 days on it and when it is not... like I say all easier said than done

good luck, your not alone on this one!

BloodStar
29-03-2005, 11:20 AM
nice topic. i've got such a problems, aswell. if i'm at the end with inspiration i quit and stat somethign new or i stick to some part which is doing it the best in the track... which is well recognisable after so much listens... and then trying to make some new sequences dependent on the basic structure... if this not help,,i quit and start a new track...

TechMouse
29-03-2005, 11:21 AM
I always try to have 2 or 3 (or more) tracks on the go at any one time.

If you get bored of one, pick up another.

It's especially helpful if you work on a variety of styles, because then your ears and brain get a completely fresh sound to work with.

stjohn
29-03-2005, 03:50 PM

It's especially helpful if you work on a variety of styles, because then your ears and brain get a completely fresh sound to work with.

i usually have a few going too..... and when i hit a rut... sometimes i merge the 2 and get some crazy changes!!!

stjohn
29-03-2005, 03:51 PM

i usually have a few going too..... and when i hit a rut... sometimes i merge the 2 and get some crazy changes!!!

stjohn
29-03-2005, 03:51 PM
:doh:

Mindful
01-04-2005, 07:12 PM

Yeah I do that allready it kind of stops me from taking tracks in directions I dont want them to go because you start getting new ideas and insperation and dont want to spoil what idea you had in the first place...............but this gives me a new problem.........three unfinished tunes :doh:

Am gonna knuckle down tonight and finish one of the two im working on no matter what.

I just hope I dont get the urge to start a new one.
I think im addicted to that feeling you get when you start somthing fresh :lol:

If all goes well there should be one of my tracks on the production files this week(if your still willing to host one for me mr Trash)
Or I may just post an unfinished one and see if I can get help that way.

Cheers guys ;)

carltaylor43
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
i think whats proabably happening, is the same for most people... you do the enjoyable bit, then when you get stuck / bored / pissed of with the track your just starting a new one to get the enjoyment back... I did this for years.. it does some self discipline to make yourself finish them, after all none of us like doing something thats not enjoyable.. id probably say its 50 / 50 enjoyment / frustration ratio with me...

RDR
01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Thats what i do :doh: i personally find it embarrassing, but it does help.

peer criticism is very important, genuine critcism works wonders.

this reminds me of this thread... objectivity is what we all search for...

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31082&highlight=objectivity

Mindful
01-04-2005, 08:05 PM

http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31082&highlight=objectivity

cheers geezer a good read that ;)

borisXHL
11-05-2005, 04:37 PM

cheers geezer a good read that ;)

i dunno how about you put this article gets me down a bit :|

Mindful
11-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Its kind of true tho dont you think?

loopdon
11-05-2005, 08:27 PM
it is true. and it's a good article to me.

i have read it before, but stuff remains true.

278d7e64a374de26f==