PDA

View Full Version : Way to play Yamaha A4000 sample disks?

morphamish
28-03-2005, 12:07 AM
I got a pack of rather tasty looking sample disks with my Yamaha A4000 sampler several years ago and have never been able to play the sounds on them. They seem to be in a specific format for the sampler (the sampler has no cd drive).

Does anyone know of a means to play them on my pc? Maybe some kind of emulator? Or would I have to find some way of rigging a cd drive to the sampler?

Komplex
28-03-2005, 02:47 AM
You can load up the samples themselves as raw waveforms in soundforge or other audio editor. You will have to trim them up because theyre edited badly.

A4k, great cheap samplers for creative sound design :) Hope you plug yours in every few months!

morphamish
28-03-2005, 12:11 PM
I have tried the soundforge route but unfortunately it doesnt recognise the format. All it comes up with is a click for every sample. Any suggestions?

It is great for a spot of creative tweakage for sure!

messyfuture
28-03-2005, 12:26 PM
do you use scsi on your sampler?

if you do there is a proggie called disky that you should be able import the samples to then scsi them to the sampler

morphamish
28-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Aha! Nice one. Now I've got Disky, but I'm having two problems...

Getting the error message:

Access violation at address 00E760A9 in module 'wnaspi32.dll'. Read of address 00000000.

Then when I click that away it shows a box saying:

Mounting all SFS partitions...

and it just stays at 16%

:eh: Any ideas please?

Milesy
28-03-2005, 02:29 PM
try installing the newest ASPI drivers.. google will find em

messyfuture
28-03-2005, 05:28 PM
try installing the newest ASPI drivers.. google will find em

that will be the one had that message when i moved on to my new pc with xp on it.

Ritzi Lee
28-03-2005, 06:33 PM
www.cdxtract.com

messyfuture
28-03-2005, 07:38 PM
www.cdxtract.com

cd extract is a great program but i dont think it works with the A series samplers

or does it?

Evil G
28-03-2005, 07:52 PM
i don't think cdxtract can read yamaha disks, but you can use it to read akai and other formats and convert them into plain wav files to load into a yamaha.

Komplex
29-03-2005, 05:16 AM
the soundforge way does work if you are wanting to extract the audio samples themselves. load the audio files as .raw and not the program files...

morphamish
29-03-2005, 11:13 AM
Cheers for all the response here, much appreciated. I've tried out all the suggestions...

Cdextract doesn't read the A series disks I'm afraid.

Loading into soundforge as raw is something I've tried before and its still just yielding distorted nonsense and clicks instead of tasty samples. Do you perhaps have some method that I'm not aware of to make that work?

Still having teething problems with Disky. Getting updates for ASPI drivers is proving a bit tricky due to most of the sites for them being down now.

A mate of mine has an A3000 and may be able to help out, as I seem to recall him using Disky(now I've been reminded of the look of it) a year or two ago...

messyfuture
29-03-2005, 12:48 PM
you could try the adaptec website for the aspi drivers i thinks thats where i got mine

if you want to mail me a couple of the the files you are trying to convert i will try them on my copy of disky.

it may have an issue with a4k and above cause its was written years ago and never finished properly cause the company that bought it went bust.

theres another proggie called bzone thats for the a series too http://www.bzone.be/ it supports all the yamaha samplers you could give that a try too

messyfuture
29-03-2005, 05:54 PM
oh and check out http://www.ampfea.org/ for all your yamaha sampler needs

Komplex
30-03-2005, 04:22 AM
Loading into soundforge as raw is something I've tried before and its still just yielding distorted nonsense and clicks instead of tasty samples. Do you perhaps have some method that I'm not aware of to make that work?

Hmm, no special method to it. Just throw the a4k cd's in your cd rom and load the sample files in soundforge. I did this heaps about a year ago with soundforge version 6. I use wavelab now but I'll try to find soundforge later on and give it another go to see if there's something you're not doing. I know it works...

278d7e64a374de26f==