PDA

View Full Version : Richie Hawtin @ Lost Sun 27th

kai_1
29-03-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm curious to know what people make of the night as I am about to write a short article on them. It was the first time I'd been and the first time I'd heard Hawtin play in years.

He played for three hours... very very minimal, no vocal samples, not a lot to distinguish the tunes. Some of the loops were absolutely kicking, but after an hour and a half maybe, I found it a little tiresome as he became more interested with his swirling breaks than keeping the momentum of the beats...

I was amazed at the number of people at the party... anyone else go?

neko
29-03-2005, 07:28 PM
i was meant to go, but couldnt in end which i was gutted about.
he played at shine in belfast last night, and i've read some good reviews of his set.

i love the way he builds his music up from very little beats to totally relentless, and then brings it back down again. excellent the way he goes up and down all night.

can't wait for homelands to see him again :cool:

g
29-03-2005, 07:31 PM
this sounds like how he used to play, years ago.
and the last time i saw him, save the obligatory clickety-clacks, i was pretty sure it was 1995 again.
which is not a bad thing on either count.

Tony
29-03-2005, 09:07 PM
saw him play at a tiny party in barcelona b2b with villalobos and magda and it wasa real nice time. i'm really down with minimalism so usually what he plays will impress me and he's a competent dj. but surrounded with hype, and the hype for minimalism at the moment, some folks can get cynical.

Frank Dogshit
29-03-2005, 09:15 PM
still one of the best,you just gotta catch him in the right club.

dirty_bass
29-03-2005, 09:26 PM
I just can`t spend my money on going to lost anymore.
The soundsystem is always totally gash, and other than the big names, it`s usually a pretty lame party IMO

Frank Dogshit
29-03-2005, 09:37 PM
I just can`t spend my money on going to lost anymore.
The soundsystem is always totally gash, and other than the big names, it`s usually a pretty lame party IMO

from reports ive read they were complaining it was too loud and muffled compared to it being quiet when theyve been in the past.

deffo needs a decent soundsystem if your looking to put on events with the big hitters like hawtin on.

theres no way you can appreciate his stuff on a wank sound system.

dirty_bass
29-03-2005, 09:40 PM
They just never ever run the systems properly.
They are either seriously underpowered and too quiet.
Or they are cranked, but underpowered and just end up distorted.
Gash

Evil G
29-03-2005, 11:25 PM
next time he comes round here i'm going to yell at him to get a haircut.

neko
29-03-2005, 11:33 PM
whats wrong with our richie's hair?

http://www1.keyboards.de/magazine/m0205/502044_hawtin.jpg

:lol:

oldbugger
29-03-2005, 11:38 PM
gutted i dint go :cry:

been looking forward to this for ges

stjohn
30-03-2005, 04:25 AM
he's someone whos definatly on the ball!!!!

serox
30-03-2005, 07:57 AM
worse night i have been to for a long time:(

took far too long to get into the club, moody secuirty who didnt know what was going on.
cans of beer sold out at about 1 and all that was left was 1 type of bottle beer at £3.
the sound system was muffled and all i could hear was bass.
was way to rammed in the main room, and no seats in the chill out.
kept getting people stepping on my feet or walking into me, fag burns, spilt drinks etc.
i wouldnt call the music techno either. was more like house music and min techno. very boring so left early minus loads of money.

never again.

dirty_bass
31-03-2005, 04:29 AM
sounds like a typical lost gig mate
They get some of the biggest names in techno
but everything else is total gash
entry system
security
sound system
lights
bicknells mixing
the bar
all gash

killarava2day
31-03-2005, 09:30 AM
with respect to Bicknel, has anyone actually heard pull off a set without a severe disaster?

killarava2day
31-03-2005, 09:31 AM
whats wrong with our richie's hair?

http://www1.keyboards.de/magazine/m0205/502044_hawtin.jpg

:lol:

...and his cute boyish looks :shock:

serox
31-03-2005, 10:09 AM
with respect to Bicknel, has anyone actually heard pull off a set without a severe disaster?

nope, he trainwrecks loads :(

felt like i had been mugged off propper at lost:(

Koenig
05-04-2005, 08:28 PM
The house rig is a Nexo Alpha, one of top systems available (not FK1, but just as expensive). The delay stacks were muffled compared to the main stacks. The house engineer must be a donut. When Hawtin was on, it sounded best up at the front, tons of bass and power and crisp enough to these old ears.
You cant blame Lost for the bar. They have no control over the beers or the prices. That's the SE1 for you. Go to one of the Psy or DnB events there and it is even worse.

There simply is no large scale venues in London that have the pre-requisites that a club night the size of Lost (1200+) requires.

Max Duley played an excellent set early on, Plaid were patchy, Bicky uninspiring.

You either like Hawin or not, you pays your money (£16), you takes your choice.

I've been going to Lost since the very first one at the Vox and it definately has changed, but then so has techno, but it is always a decent party.

dirty_bass
05-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I`ve been to plenty of large scale events where everything was done properly, in london.
If it was a one of screw up, then fair enough.
But lost events are consistently substandard in every way except the caliber of the main acts.

eyes without a face
05-04-2005, 09:33 PM
ive not been to Lost but i dont think it has a demand for those capacities at every event does it, 1200???

Koenig
06-04-2005, 07:27 PM
ive not been to Lost but i dont think it has a demand for those capacities at every event does it, 1200???
If they have a good headliner on, they can easily get over 1000 peeps.
The Vox used to hold 1500, and was regularly packed out.

eyes without a face
06-04-2005, 08:02 PM
ahh right, i was just curious as they always seem to get negative press and yet i know it still is a popular night, ive never heard anyone say a good work about Bicknell's mixing and i must say the time i saw him at Atomic Jam it was less than memorable... which is a shame, i quite like the vibe that goes with Lost and Cosmic etc

Traxx
06-04-2005, 08:48 PM
ive never heard anyone say a good work about Bicknell's mixing and i must say the time i saw him at Atomic Jam it was less than memorable

Was that on nye the year before last? he had some great tunes but couldnt mix for shit. I was there for that one.

Frank Dogshit
06-04-2005, 08:52 PM
not into bicknell at alll either,saw him at the darkside last year and wasnt into it all....played that horrible 'samba de janiero' thing that hes still playing now apparently.

Tiptoe
06-04-2005, 08:53 PM
i have heard grandad steve bicknell bang it out at a mate of mines old night called subtronix he was well good playing some right tunes and mixing was spot on.

eyes without a face
06-04-2005, 09:47 PM
nah it werent a NYE, it was Bicknell, luke Slater and Hawtin.... wasnt the best of jams for me personally... everyone was way below par that night

278d7e64a374de26f==