PDA

View Full Version : London Techno as opposed to other techno styles

Jimfish
22-05-2003, 10:36 PM
i just noticed another thread somwhere that made me think about this...

when i think of london style techno as in geezer/liberator blah blah blah i honestly think of it more as 'hard dance' music.
I imagine it being played far more alongside music like hard house/ hard trance etc
I think this is because it is generally played very fast, like hard house etc and has a more simaler arrangement, also it alway has the same kicks/percussion etc etc.
I have never heard beyer, parisio or franssen play any london tracks yet i seem to see hard house and london techno togethor all the time..
if i was a hard house jock i think i would defo play lots of london tech tunes, but a marco carolla track would probably sound totally out of context.

What do you guys think about this? do any of you play more european style techno with a lot of london traks, or hard house with em??
is it just me that seems to think it seems closer to hard house etc?

eyes without a face
22-05-2003, 11:50 PM
i agree with u mate. altho i do happen to like alot of it, especially the stuff on RAW.

Esox Lucius
23-05-2003, 08:39 AM
it`s techno imo, with a more percussive and funky edge to it, rather than all out screeching 303`s.

i like some of it, there have been a few decent tracks out on RAW from guy, especially RAW 07 & RAW 09, hydraulix have had a few decent tunes out aswell from the dave the drummer & co....... give me a nice smitten or SUF record anyday though.

T
23-05-2003, 11:37 AM
I think the last few years it has become more percussive rhymic techno rather than 303's all the way. DAVE Drummer, Guy Mcaffer, pounding grooves have produced some excellent stuff imo, and i think in some sets a bit of london techno can work alongside other forms of techno. I think it depends where a dj takes their set as to whether it fits in ok with other styles. I tend not to be really into the suf acid stuff but I have some Dave drummer, cluster, raw, maximum minimum recirds that are excellent and do not to me seem out of place alongside other forms of techno, from more detroit influenced stuff to the swedish sounds.
I've heard Chris liberator playing Beyer, Henrik b, speedy J and other non london techno and I've heard people like mark eg play stuff from skoog, beyer, primate, to london stuff, and myslef have mixed sets with a range of styles of techno on them, including the occasional bit of London stuff.
I think its all just different takes on techno at the end of the day, and somewhere london/other stuff crosses over and bears some relation to each other, though of course different producers produce different styles.
I think the free party scene very much defines a lot of what the liberators etc do and there seems to be a bit of politics between ''free party'' folk and ''purists'' which sometimes segaragtes the music in people's minds. Personally i just love techno music and will listen to various forms of it and play it if i think it is good and fits in with a set.

Jimfish
23-05-2003, 05:15 PM
yeah,
I think some of the london folk are cracking producers, and i wish some of the producers in other styles would take note of this and try and improve thier shamefull production sound.
On the other hand i wish the london boys would change thier template a bit. Id be willing to bet a fortune they have the same kick, hat, snare, toms bla blah permanantly assigned to tracks 1-10 on thier mackies all leveled up ready to go no matter what they are working on..

Adverse
23-05-2003, 06:02 PM
absolutely jimmah.

miasma man
24-05-2003, 12:57 PM
I'd agree with the majority (if not all) of the views here. I have to say though that when I've seen the liberators play out 2 hours of London Acid is way way too much for me. I can't handle it, it doesn't change or progress enough for me, it's pretty much the same formula as Jimmah said.

Don't get me wrong I do like London Acid stuff at particular times but not all night long I suppose. I have bought a few Cluster, Smitten etc but obviously these aren't the only type of Techno that I buy.

As T said throwing a few London Acid trax into a set can work quite well but not for a whole set...

MM

278d7e64a374de26f==