PDA

View Full Version : sidechain werks best with what sounds?

tracatak
04-04-2005, 11:29 PM
say u wanan sidechain a kick with somethign ...i find best results so far witha crash...not sure why but i do..ha!....can any1 else recommend somethign else to sidechain a kick with to get that dirty hardtechno ...schranz ....style...

(for example k--- k--- k--- k---
---c ---c ---c ---c

can any1 recommend a other sound to put in the place of the C (crash)

Barely Human
05-04-2005, 12:36 AM
How about whatever sounds good to you?

dan the acid man
05-04-2005, 01:14 AM

i'd go with that, i also find the sound of a midget being tickled by ken dodd works rather well :doh:

TechMouse
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
i also find the sound of a midget being tickled by ken dodd works rather well :doh:
Ah, brings back memories...

RDR
05-04-2005, 02:38 PM
The envelope of the sound being used to duck affects the way in which the compressor reacts. Sidechaining EQ also affects the way in which the compressor reacts.

e.g. longer sounds lead to a longer duck

quack quack!

tracatak
08-04-2005, 12:57 AM
thanks for the tips..NO THANKS FOR THE SARCASISM IQ :rambo: ;)

Evil G
08-04-2005, 01:44 AM
i think the sarcasm was meant to tell you that you've got the cart in front of the horse to an extent. your question is like an artsit asking, "what objects besides the sky are good to paint blue?"

i think you need to imagine how you want to sound, listen to how you actually sound, and try to figure out what needs to be done to get from one to the other. sometimes the answer might be to paint it blue, but it will always depend on the context.

hope that helps.

dan the acid man
08-04-2005, 03:56 PM
yes, especially if the sky is grey that day ;)

AcidTrash
08-04-2005, 07:08 PM

I know it's sarcastic but I'd have to go with that.

tocsin
08-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Jay, what plugs are you using for sidechaining? The only one I 've gotten to work is the TC Dex plug in combo with theit key input plug. every other sidechainer listed on this forum has not worked for me.

tracatak
09-04-2005, 12:37 AM
ive had similar problems...i guess im not doing it the right way or with good enough sounds/samples...i hada really good one but it was only the demo i need the real version...did u send me that plug in with the whole lot u sent to me a while back..im sure u did..IM ME sometime..we can discuss more.. :lol:

MangaFish
09-04-2005, 12:52 AM
what is sidechaining (and i mean in real simpletons terms)
i've read an explanation of it before but ended up more confused for it

Evil G
09-04-2005, 01:59 AM
what is sidechaining (and i mean in real simpletons terms)
i've read an explanation of it before but ended up more confused for it

triggering the compressor from a second sound, instead of the sound that is being compressed.

BloodStar
09-04-2005, 10:07 AM
in the other words,,. compressor will be controlled by another sound (key input), it means both sounds will not play simultaneously,. trigger will play and compressed sound will be affected by the adsr envelope of trigger.

just imagine adsr envelope of the trigger (ie kick). Trigger will hit and as sound is sustaining. compressed sound will go up almost on the same curve (reversed) as trigger sound.

curve shape will be affected by the settings on compressor on compressed sound.....parameters like,,ratio,thresh.. will do the compressed sound more go-ahead,,,or just gradual...

so.. i hope it's not too confusing,. and hope this is all true.. i just tried to describe my understanding of sidechain.. if i could talk in Czech,.,would be better, imo.. :rambo:

rounser
09-04-2005, 01:43 PM
I thought you sidechain a compressor to a ducker, so your bass ducks your kick when the compressor gets triggered and goes into the attack bit.

Never done it before though...it's just what I remember. It seems to make sense...is that right?

Barely Human
09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
I thought you sidechain a compressor to a ducker, so your bass ducks your kick when the compressor gets triggered and goes into the attack bit.

Never done it before though...it's just what I remember. It seems to make sense...is that right?

In most cases, a side chain is usually used to attenuate other sounds when the kick hits to give a pumping effect. Mainly this is used to attenuate the bass. Personally i tend to use quite harsh sidechaining on a lot of instruments to get a really drastic pump effect.

rounser
10-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Cheers :)

MangaFish
18-04-2005, 09:25 PM
right - i think i understand:

sidechaining is when the compressor works indipendantly to the sound its compressing?

what benifit would i get from sidechaining?

Barely Human
18-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Sidechaining is using an input audio source's amplitude to control a parameter. Mainly this is used with a compressor to attenuate other sounds when the Kick hits, so you get to here the kick nice and loud above the rest of the track without actually making the kick louder. This is also refered to as "pump".

rounser
19-04-2005, 07:58 AM
sidechaining is when the compressor works indipendantly to the sound its compressing?
Not exactly, from what I understand...it's more a way of using the compressor's "smarts" to trigger some other effect as well. Compressors are "smart" because they listen to the incoming audio and choose when they should do their thing, based on the threshold setting. A sidechain lets you send that "effect ON" command that the compressor sends to itself to another effect as well.

So you can be compressing one track quite happily, but rigging up a sidechain from that compressor to another effect lets you say "oh, yeah, and whenever that compressor gets triggered, I also want you to trigger a ducker effect on the bass on this other track." So your compressor is also controlling other effects, and the sidechain makes sure that the other effect gets triggered when the compressor does.

In theory, you could hook a compressor sidechain up to reverb (or whatever), such that something gets reverb whenever compression kicks in, but there wouldn't be much point to that...a ducker, gate, or another compressor seem to be the most useful things to sidechain to (I've heard of sidechaining a compressor up to a gate on the high hats, for instance).

Evil G
19-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Not exactly, from what I understand...it's more a way of using the compressor's "smarts" to trigger some other effect as well. Compressors are "smart" because they listen to the incoming audio and choose when they should do their thing, based on the threshold setting. A sidechain lets you send that "effect ON" command that the compressor sends to itself to another effect as well.

So you can be compressing one track quite happily, but rigging up a sidechain from that compressor to another effect lets you say "oh, yeah, and whenever that compressor gets triggered, I also want you to trigger a ducker effect on the bass on this other track." So your compressor is also controlling other effects, and the sidechain makes sure that the other effect gets triggered when the compressor does.

In theory, you could hook a compressor sidechain up to reverb (or whatever), such that something gets reverb whenever compression kicks in, but there wouldn't be much point to that...a ducker, gate, or another compressor seem to be the most useful things to sidechain to (I've heard of sidechaining a compressor up to a gate on the high hats, for instance).

i've never heard of a sidechain that works as you describe.

in hardware compressors, it works like this:

signal comes in, and is split into two channels. one goes to the sidechain circuit, and one goes to the compression circuit. in the sidechain circuit there is a level detector of some kind. the detector is controlled by the attack, release and theshold nobs. the output of the detector in the sidechain circuit runs to an amplifier in the compression circuit, and the amplitude of the audio coming through the compression circuit is made to go up and down depending on what the detector is doing in the sidechain.

with an external sidechain, there is an insert point in the sidechain circuit, after the signal is split, but before the level detector. on a stereo cable, audio will be sent out on one channel, and returned on the other. the audio being sent will be exactly what is coming into the compressor, with no compression applied. an eq is typically put in this insert loop, which allows you to shape the signal before getting to the detector. you could do things like cut out the highs so that a stereo bus compressor will pump with the bass, even though the hats are ringing loud.

but the more common use is to feed a totally different signal on a mono cable into the return leg of the insert. this in effect replaces the original signal with a completely different one in the sidechain circuit, before the detector, so that the compressor is triggered by the second sound.

maybe some software compressors work differently, but this is how the hardware compressors i've used have all worked. it would be cool if they put out a gate signal like you describe though. i could definitely see that coming in handy.

MangaFish
20-04-2005, 08:06 PM
is there a step by step guide to doing this in fruity?

i think thats the only way i'm going to really understand (although i have a jist of whast going on, listening to the difference would make a difference) :oops:

rounser
21-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Evil G: I apologise for spreading misinformation then, was pretty sure I had the right idea, but will look into it further. Thanks for your patience and explanation. :)

By way of apology, here's an extremely basic 2 band EQ I found that you might find useful for solving simple mixing problems where a real EQ might be overkill, and level controls insufficient:
http://home.earthlink.net/~rocksonics/SimpleQ.dll

Evil G
21-04-2005, 02:16 AM
cool dude. hope i didn't come off too preachy. i just like to help out with the technical bits when i can. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==