PDA

View Full Version : uploading tracks

Dan Devious
07-04-2005, 02:43 PM
anyone know an easy way to get my track on the net so that i can post them in the production filez forum for you guys to listen. ?

TechMouse
07-04-2005, 02:58 PM
1. Get some webspace.

Webspace can be expensive for a decent quality package, but lots of people have been raving about this (http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?s=a5dcd7728f1d9aa517137d670e5bef10& threadid=265339&cache=14) which was posted on the Dogs On Acid forums a while ago. I haven't signed up myself yet, but it seems a bona-fide offer, and very high quality.

2. Encode your tunes to mp3.

You don't have to use mp3, though it is probably the most widely supported compression standard. I would recommend encoding at AT LEAST 128kbps - probably better to use 256kbps. You will end up with bigger files, but if you've used the above offer then you have oodles of space & bandwidth, so the only other consideration is upload / download speed - and most people are on broadband these days, right?

3. Upload your files to your webspace.

Your webspace provider will give you all the information you need to do this. If you're hardcore then most Operating Systems come with a command-line FTP (File Transfer Protocol) client built-in. However, it's often much easier to use a nice (free) client, which will do handy things like remember settings for different sites etc. I'd recommend CuteFTP or SmartFTP for Windows.

In general, all you will need to use an FTP server is an address, (e.g. upload.mywebspace.com, ftp.mysite.com, or something similar), a port number, (most FTP servers use port 21, but it's possible they may have changed this), and a username / password.

Consult your webspace provider's FAQs etc. for more detailed / specific information.

And that's about it.

Dan Devious
07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
hey man, i actaully have some free webspace provided by my internet rovider. I have just activated it, i have then downloaded WS pro 9 and moved the files into there, i then try to goto the webspace and all i get is an error message, what link to i have to give to peeps so that they can download it? the song i put in a file on the remote directory?

TechMouse
07-04-2005, 03:36 PM
hey man, i actaully have some free webspace provided by my internet rovider. I have just activated it, i have then downloaded WS pro 9 and moved the files into there, i then try to goto the webspace and all i get is an error message, what link to i have to give to peeps so that they can download it? the song i put in a file on the remote directory?
If your website is www.mysite.com, and your file is myfile.mp3, then the file will be at http://www.mysite.com/myfile.mp3.

Sometimes, you have to put files in a certain directory for them to be accessible over the web. This is normally called something like "public_html" or "html" or "site" or "public", or even the address of your site.

There is probably an FAQ on your ISP's website.

NB. if this webspace is free with an ISP, you may not get a domain as in my example above. For example, with NTL (in the UK) if your username is my.name, then your webspace is http://homepage.ntlworld.com/my.name/. Every provider is different - have a look on their website.

MangaFish
07-04-2005, 05:22 PM
i'll host tracks / mixes for people if they need it - pm me for details

John Ferraris
20-04-2005, 04:10 PM
If any one has any server space with php/mysql enabled I'll write a hosting site for u blackout audio users. Did a similar thing for Ush and it works pretty well.

Mirsha
20-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Make sure you are using the correct address, all ISPs lay it out different but it could be something like www.<username>.<isp>.com. Or maybe they handle it with a www.<members only section>.com/~<user name>

Read through the FAQ on the website and it should tell you the correct form.

As for providing links. I suggest bookmarking your homepage on your ISP to the root page, then after you upload a track simply rename the file so you can control + c the exact file name, press escape to cancel then add that text onto the end of the url for your website. Then hit okay and make sure your browser actually starts downloading it before you cancel it just to make sure the link works.

Then you can post it on here. If you want to use URL tags to give people a simple link you have to edit your url though, replace all white spaces with the string %20 which makes it a continous block of text so the url formatter can read it properly. You don't have to do this though, you can just post the url which your browser is happy with and people can copy and paste it into theirs, their browser will automaticaly perform the white space conversion.

278d7e64a374de26f==