PDA

View Full Version : Cheers Ears!

Apex Beat
07-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Does anyone use Ear plugs when they are mixing/producing/live techno? Obviously in clubs or on massive systems. I was playing on a funktion one system last nite and I have to say it was caining the old ears which isnt good when one of your primary concerns in life is sound...

Can you buy proper musicians ear plugs or will cotton wool suffice?

dan the acid man
07-04-2005, 03:20 PM
theres been a few discussions on here about ear plugs.

its a very good idea if you play out, or even just go out regularly, to wear ear plugs.

you can buy specially moulded plugs that are tailor made for your ears only, but theyre pretty expensive, theres also some good quality cheaper ones too.

i cant remember where theyre all from, but if you do a search on these forum, im sure you'll find them.

i got a decent set for free, but ive no idea who made them :doh:

FILTERZ
07-04-2005, 04:17 PM
you can buy ear plugs that are specifically made for sound engineers etc

lots of ear plugs attenuate or deaden some frequencies more than others if you buy expensive audio ones they deaden all frequencies by the same amount , much better.

Apex Beat
07-04-2005, 05:14 PM
How much would they cost and where could I buy them?

herman
07-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Go for the Elacin Er-15's (do a google search for them) they are about £160 you will need to go for a fitting and they will take about a week to get made but trust me you will not regret it.

ampassasinbirmingham
07-04-2005, 05:50 PM
Go for the Elacin Er-15's (do a google search for them) they are about £160 you will need to go for a fitting and they will take about a week to get made but trust me you will not regret it.

you wont look back after these bad boys.

Ritzi Lee
07-04-2005, 06:32 PM
it's allready 2 years now i'm telling myself to get some...
but still didn't do it. :doh:

Apex Beat
08-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Cool, alot of money but worth it I suppose. I reckon I'd end up getting mashed and throw them in the bin my accident though!!!

So whats the deal when your mixing? Can you hear it better or do you just turn up the volume on the cans to compensate? If this is the case, are they not pointless? Obviously wearing them when your in the club is ace but cotton wool and keeping away from speakers does that, I'm concerned with mixing records basically... Cheers.

Apex Beat
08-04-2005, 01:35 AM
Check these out:-

http://www.hearingprotection.co.uk/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=35

I'm definitely going to buy some because theres no way I can spend 160 anytime soon... Are you basically paying all that money for custom fit ones???

herman
08-04-2005, 10:06 AM
Cool, alot of money but worth it I suppose. I reckon I'd end up getting mashed and throw them in the bin my accident though!!!

So whats the deal when your mixing? Can you hear it better or do you just turn up the volume on the cans to compensate? If this is the case, are they not pointless? Obviously wearing them when your in the club is ace but cotton wool and keeping away from speakers does that, I'm concerned with mixing records basically... Cheers.

The Er-20's are ok if you have nothing else but i would recommend you spring for the Er-15's (i dont work for Elacin by the way ;) ) the reason being as the 20's are not custom fitted they only really do half the job and to be perfectly honest are not that comfortable after a while ,the Er-15's on the other hand as they are custom fitted are much more efficient in blocking unwanted freq's etc and are a lot more comfortable to wear in fact you barely notice you are wearing them.

As for mixing while wearing them well that seems to be a personal preference thing personally i have been using them for about 3 1/2 years with pretty much no problems at all if anything for me they improve the sound, one thing i would add is if you do go to the trouble of buying any earplug then make sure you do wear them for the duration of the night if you remove them even for a couple of hours just to play your set or whatever you will still do a similair amount of damage to your ears as you would have if you hadn't worn them at all.

killarava2day
08-04-2005, 10:17 AM
There shouldn't be any arguement regarding waying up the cost of protecting your ears now.

Wait till you need hearing aids down the track...these are amazingly expensive and yet won't give you back half the frequencies you could once hear.

killarava2day
08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
BTW tinnitus sucks arse!

You wouldn't wish it upon anyone, let alone yourself.

278d7e64a374de26f==