PDA

View Full Version : producers with their own distinctive sound..

sash
09-04-2005, 01:00 PM
What techno producers do u believe have their own distinctive sound?

For example DJ Rush, u just know when a dj rush track comes on (and not just cuz of his lyrics ;) )

The Overfiend
09-04-2005, 01:03 PM
berkovi

ampassasinbirmingham
09-04-2005, 01:14 PM
berkovi

id deffinantly agree here.

also surgeon, Reeko, dave clarke(kick drums:), monolake, paul macs club based stuff as of l8 has a very distinct sound also

Zektor
09-04-2005, 01:18 PM
Jeff Mills :cool: no need to explain.

ampassasinbirmingham
09-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Jeff Mills :cool: no need to explain.

deffo, i think the same could be said for ruskin also

The Overfiend
09-04-2005, 01:37 PM
oliver ho had it for a min

Dave Elyzium
09-04-2005, 05:01 PM
Woody McBride :)

lau
09-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Think thats most of the well know artist..... But if you ask a non-techno-head there probably isnt one... :lol:

Spark
09-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Tuomas Rantanen

Will
09-04-2005, 05:59 PM
DAVE the Drummer and Tobias Luke.

The Germ
10-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Oliver Lieb, GUy mCaffer

Kevin Gorman
10-04-2005, 03:31 AM
adam beyer

Ladius
10-04-2005, 05:20 AM
speedy j

ive always been able to tell that he wrote a track, or was involved in one even before i look at the name of the track to see who wrote it.

Cheers

BRADLEE
10-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Tuomas Rantanen

Agreed for sure. He's dope too...

sash
10-04-2005, 06:53 AM
berkovi

id deffinantly agree here.

also surgeon, Reeko, dave clarke(kick drums:), monolake, paul macs club based stuff as of l8 has a very distinct sound also

yeah surgeon for sure. He's definitely carved out his own sound imo :)
I could spot a Ben Sims track a mile away too but there's another big name producer added to the list.

heavy beats
10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
oliver ho had it for a min

speaking of oliver ho, his new "layers" release on meta is peak hour bangin shit. only one of the three tracks on the record has the old oli ho feel to it.

koma
10-04-2005, 11:10 AM
umek, sims, glenn, rush, mills..

Mirsha
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
When it comes down to a producer with a unique sound there is only one name that I can think of that produces tracks with a distinctive sound, whenever one of his tracks is played the sound system just screams one name at the informed listener and that name is Tube Jerk.

Tim Wright's club orientated tracks are stunningly produced works of art, each of them is an instant classic show casing the mans incredable ear for sound. Showcasing the very best of the wonky style of techno he combines quirky drum loops with superb grinding bassy synth tweaks, rather than stick to a regular style of loops the synth working is staggering, they really feel like living bits of pure evil techno that grow, mutate and kick off as the tracks progress towards an end point.

Unique is most definately a word to describe this mans style, I can't name a single other tune that rivals a classic like Eight with it's mellow ambient lead in kicking into a funky bouncing tune then when you think it can't get any better, it kicks in with absoultely screaming noise madness. Or a tune like last years highly popular The Ride of NovaMute, quirky basslines, dominating synths and an absoloute stomper of a tune. And who could forget that most classic of albums released on Sativae a few years back 'Dirty Black Discotheque' with it's combination of dark, epic and dirty tunes.

Big loud 4/4 looped bangers like everyone else is making it isn't, staggeringly well crafted mixutes of raw funk, wonk and domainting synths it is, truely a unique production style that not another single producer has come close to mimicing.

The Overfiend
10-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Big loud 4/4 looped bangers like everyone else is making it isn't, staggeringly well crafted mixutes of raw funk, wonk and domainting synths it is, truely a unique production style that not another single producer has come close to mimicing.

:eh:

Sunil
10-04-2005, 12:58 PM

:eh:

Believe it. There were a number of tracks on Tim Wright's Novamute album that pissed over most techno I heard in 2004...

slavestudios
10-04-2005, 12:58 PM
ben sims... i can spot them a month away lol

and DC ? well, u can smell them a year away.. :lol:

Zektor
10-04-2005, 02:01 PM

dj bone.....maybe? ;)

Juan Atkins. :cool:

slavestudios
10-04-2005, 02:44 PM
wright ?

oooh, come on, the Sativae/Drought crew have been doing the wack skippy synth madness for years..

Wright is good, but i dont think hes that new..

not takin anything away, its jus i have heard so many ppl call him 'the future' recently, and tbh, its not that new..

its still pukka

The Overfiend
10-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I hate when people criticize the 4/4 sound so hard when they dont realize the man hours and time it takes to even learn to getting good at making music to begin with

Sunil
10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
not takin anything away, its jus i have heard so many ppl call him 'the future' recently, and tbh, its not that new..

its still pukka

True. He's diverse though, and by not getting weighed down with one particular or 'distinct' sound for every every release... he is able to come along and do something kick ass and even fresh; he's not the only one though thankfully. People with distinctive sounds can be applauded for sure, but 90% of them get so stuck in that sound that there's no point in following them anymore.

Mirsha
10-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Wright is good, but i dont think hes that new..

This thread isn't about new though Pete, I mean all of the other suggestions in here are old timers as well. I mean Surgeon, Dave Clarke and Adam Beyer? Hardly new or unique, a lot of people tried to copy Adam Beyer years ago leading to the whole Swechno sound.

not takin anything away, its jus i have heard so many ppl call him 'the future' recently, and tbh, its not that new.
I'd be hard pressed to describe it as the future either, mostly because stuff that is the future sound as it were tends to collect a momentum behind it and other people jump into a particular sound and widen the sound available within it, much like Sativae jump started a whole new generation of producers adding their own touch.

Spark
10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Rumenige & Loktibrada

conflict
10-04-2005, 09:45 PM
most producers have their own sound,i can think of loads,everyone mentioned i'd agree with

also dave the drummer,michael burkat,definately marco baily umek henrik b......bet there loads more

crime
10-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Cristian Vogel

Mindful
10-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Reeko is instantley reconisable

Sunil
10-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Richie Hawtin.

Joseph Isaac
10-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Cristian Vogel

Seriously unique. Vogel is one of my faves for sure.

Sunil
11-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Cari Lekebusch, Woody McBride.

crime
11-04-2005, 03:04 AM
Cristian Vogel

Seriously unique. Vogel is one of my faves for sure.

I've just been hearing bits of the next Mosquito e.p., which is Bill Youngman, Cris has done a lot of the production, the loops are from Bill's live set, but it's mixed down on Cris's board, and you can just tell his hand has graced it... really looking forward to that e.p. dropping along with Vogel's "Station 55" album which is coming on novamute later in the year....

TechMouse
11-04-2005, 10:43 AM
most producers have their own sound
I'd really agree with that - particularly in Techno where "there are no rules" as to how you go about doing what your doing. Hence everyone tends to come at it from a different angle, with very different results. Certainly, everyone comes up with their own, unique way of working.

I always think Chris McCormack tunes are pretty unique.

sash
11-04-2005, 11:08 AM
ben sims... i can spot them a month away lol

and DC ? well, u can smell them a year away.. :lol:

yeah it feels like a million times ive gone vinyl shopping and put the needle on the B side of a record and thought "man that sounds like ben sims again" then u read the print on the label and its like 'rmx Ben Sims'.........

Dave Elyzium
11-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Yeah definatley Vogel........and obviousley Dave Clarke, Jeff Mills, Oliver Lieb, Patrick Skoog and the Anxious of course ;)

scienceofuse
11-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Can't believe some of the more obvious producers were left out; you can hear a Kowalski track from miles away, same goes for Diego, Johannes Heil... Also Southsoniks is instantly recognizable.

stjohn
11-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Rumenige & Loktibrada

yea definatly think the slovaks have their own little buzz! tough minimalism! i really like the way toky mixes too, real quick and chopped up to f***

boss vs toky, stigmata '04 get it if u dont have it (http://www.djboss.net/audio/boss_vs_toky_Stigma2004.mp3)

koma
11-04-2005, 03:33 PM
yea definatly think the slovaks have their own little buzz! tough minimalism! i really like the way toky mixes too, real quick and chopped up to f***

boss vs toky, stigmata '04 get it if u dont have it (http://www.djboss.net/audio/boss_vs_toky_Stigma2004.mp3)

yeah, toky, dalo, tibor, boss..
kaisersoze from CZ.. :rambo:

and this stigma mix is very good.. ;)

audioinjection
11-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Can't believe some of the more obvious producers were left out; you can hear a Kowalski track from miles away, same goes for Diego, Johannes Heil... Also Southsoniks is instantly recognizable.

agreed

278d7e64a374de26f==