PDA

View Full Version : not techno

gunjack
25-05-2003, 04:35 PM
i love hip hop. i am starting to make and perform it again and i thought i would share a tune with u guys just for fun:

click for mp3 (http://erutufon.packts.net/erutufon-public/_WELCOME_TO_ERUTUFON_PUBLIC_FTP_/gunjack/freddies_jam.mp3)

TripleX
25-05-2003, 05:01 PM
nice one, hip hop used to be my favorite genre before i got into techno.
still listen to it a lot arrested development, hieroglypfics, gang-starr, das efx, dj shadow, etc...
nice soundfile mate, who is it, you?

gunjack
25-05-2003, 05:20 PM
yes, that is my voice and beat/production, i wrote and rapped the lyrics. i wrote all the percussion and the horns and bassline were sampled from Frreddie Hubbard "Red Clay", thats why its called freddies jam. i am gettin back into writing and performing hip hop.

thanx for listening bro!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

alberto
26-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Nice i like it... Freddie is the man. :D

BritishMurderBoy
26-05-2003, 02:49 AM
chilling...

never thought i'd hear a production like that on this site....

i love my hip-hop gotta be one of the most relaxing/intellignet genres around... when done proberly i might add... leftfield stuff none of this modern BS you hear these days...

i'll never forget the nite i saw grandmaster flash.. has to be one of my favourite all time experiences...

dj shadow is cool but he isn't really my bag, saying that i often find myself listening to his essential mix for a few months back...

J5, roots manuva, black eyed peas, the roots and talib kwali to name a few of the more recent additions to my collection... Midnight Mauraders by tribe called quest has to be one of the all time greats... De la Soul.. i could go on for ages....

got a lot of respect for people still producing music from that side of the scene :D

in terms of other genres i like a lot of rock and roll.... the new whites stripes album is fantastic, jack white is jimme hendrix for the 21st century...

gunjack
26-05-2003, 04:43 AM
yeah man "fu*k all that bling bling bullshit" hehe i prefer the east coast jazz influenced sound to the bling bling jiggy stuff but i may experiment with some freakier beatz in the future... ya never know ;) i like all kindsa hip hop.... even gangsta :twisted:

gunja

Methodixxx
26-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Tasty tune Gunny... all my hip hop mates are digging it! :)

gunjack
26-05-2003, 08:37 AM
spanx bro! but i need a better mic... : x

more to come in a few weeks.....

Esox Lucius
26-05-2003, 10:15 AM
nice track, real hip hop flavour to it.

gunjack
26-05-2003, 11:06 AM
thanx dood. i am working on a new one about tokyo/shinjuku etc..... should be done in a couple hours..... you guys like COMMON? that dood is ****ing koooooool. :D

Esox Lucius
26-05-2003, 11:46 AM
what do you think of world class wrecking crew? more on an electro tip.

KRS1 is the best hip hop artist ever imo.

Esox Lucius
26-05-2003, 11:56 AM
common is very talented, his album "can i borrow a dollar" is still one of my favourite hip hop albums ever made.

TripleX
26-05-2003, 02:13 PM
agree Common rocks

interferron
26-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Nice tune deafmosaic! If anyone's interested, check out artists Anti-Pop Consortium (Warp) for some more experimental but high quality hiphop.

Yes, Common is also good, but I find myself pretty bored with the traditional hiphop-style nowadays.. but it's great to notice that things are evolving, for example UK's own Roots Manuva with the album 'Run Come Save Me' just left me listening to it mouth wide open, I mean, can it get much better?

gunjack
26-05-2003, 05:11 PM
w3rd! anyway here is the new one -

kabuki-cho (shinjuku shuffle) (http://erutufon.packts.net/erutufon-public/_WELCOME_TO_ERUTUFON_PUBLIC_FTP_/gunjack/kabuki-cho.mp3)

TripleX
26-05-2003, 08:34 PM
:shock: Dude that´s wicked
nice beats & piano, kinda reminds me in arrested development,
that girls voice :shock: is brilliant

MOOORE!!! :twisted:

BritishMurderBoy
27-05-2003, 12:23 AM
deaf, what hip hop track samples EXP , the intro to Axis: bold as love by hendrix..?

it goes "Thank you as you all know you just can't believe everthing you see and hear can you?"

its been driving me mad?

cheers dan

gunjack
27-05-2003, 03:33 AM
@ triple x, hehehe you know i cant stop now!

@ dan, i dunno bro, but i am a huge hendrix fan so if i hear this one, i will let you know dawg!!!!

much luv

gunja

gunjack
27-05-2003, 04:22 AM
common is very talented, his album "can i borrow a dollar" is still one of my favourite hip hop albums ever made.

hell jea, i love that "like water for chocolate" album too, that track "heat" is the one!!!!!!! also "geto heaven" and "time travelin"

K Front
27-05-2003, 09:43 AM
I used to be into a lot of hip hop but just lost interest for some reason, but this stuff rocks nice one deaf..

gunjack
27-05-2003, 11:22 AM
thanx alot sarg!

one more, ok guys?

future paradise (http://erutufon.packts.net/erutufon-public/_WELCOME_TO_ERUTUFON_PUBLIC_FTP_/gunjack/future_paradise.mp3)

Buttman
27-05-2003, 02:07 PM
I do not like hiphop but I reacted on the low mixing of your rap.
Otherwise it seems like quality stuff.

gunjack
27-05-2003, 02:26 PM
yeah the vocal mix on kabuki-cho is crap. i have a super ghetto way of making these tunes, once i find a better soft for digital mixing etc. it will be better, the vocal mix on future paradise i feel is the strongest of the three tunes. every day i am learning how to get the vocal mix cleaner....... plus this is all rip offs of old sould tunes.... its just for fun at this point, i eventually would like to do songs witha live band/vocalists etc.

thanx for listening!

:D

BritishMurderBoy
27-05-2003, 02:44 PM
I do not like hiphop

any reasons butty?

Buttman
27-05-2003, 03:13 PM
I do not like hiphop

any reasons butty?

Many..

1. Too slow and funky.
2. Too uninventive/conservative.
3. Too much focus on lyrics.
4. Almost all productions are very monotonous. Just a loop in many cases (do not try to counter this with "techno is just a loop too!", there is nothing wrong with loops as long as they not get repetitive).
5. Too much attitude (not always, but..).
And last but most importantly:
6. Listening to Hiphop music gives me nothing. Just like with pop, rock, soul, r'n'b, house etc.

gunjack
27-05-2003, 04:14 PM
yeah, mr. booty doesnt like jazz or soul etc. i have given up trying to convert him at this point, whiteness isn't terminal so he should be ok... :wink: although the fact that he "gets nothing" from listening to miles or ornette is a bit troublesome.... hmmmmmm

BritishMurderBoy
28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
you see the best hip hop track have a meaning behind them.... lyrics truley are key to what is otherwise a pretty homogenous back beat....

for example: the message by grandmaster flash... possibly one of the greatest songs of all time, why? because the lyrics discribe perfectly the bittersweet ironies and tourments of growing up in back 1980's urban america... now while i do not fit into any of those catagories, im not black i didt live in the 80's nor in america its a great part of history and something worth understanding.....

dan

interferron
28-05-2003, 03:16 PM
you see the best hip hop track have a meaning behind them.... lyrics truley are key to what is otherwise a pretty homogenous back beat....

Yea it's true. Still, the best that really hit me today (newer tracks) are both great music and great lyrics.. I collected some/a lot of new hip hop releases a couple of years ago, but got bored pretty fast to the style "created by" mos def, talib kweli etc and imitated by some hundred other producers/mc's.

Nowadays I almost feel like more commercial hip hop is where the real experimentation and interesting ideas are, the most obvious being The Neptunes with their production. The lyrics are of course tailored for MTV playtime, but not bad, "Hot Damn" by Clipse for example.. and the beats, huh..

Esox Lucius
28-05-2003, 04:18 PM
i know most of you will laugh, but missy elliot is one of my fav artists, she and her producer timbaland aren`t scared to do different stuff, her latest album "under construction" is excellent, she has an amazing voice and timbaland`s productions are always top notch.

interferron
29-05-2003, 12:57 AM
i know most of you will laugh, but missy elliot is one of my fav artists, she and her producer timbaland aren`t scared to do different stuff, her latest album "under construction" is excellent, she has an amazing voice and timbaland`s productions are always top notch.

heh.. Same goes here, got that album too and it's great.

Xtraction
29-05-2003, 02:55 AM
Anyone heard the Origioneel Amsterdams?

Tr3v0r

BritishMurderBoy
29-05-2003, 01:38 PM
[quote="interferron talib kweli etc and imitated by some hundred other producers/mc's.

[/quote]

i think talib kewli is one of the most innovative hip hop artists around at the momment, his latest lp "quality" is quite literally quality... he draws from a great range of musical influences i love the tribal african feel i get of his beats.....

reminds me of some of the senegalese folk music my dad buys... its great

278d7e64a374de26f==