PDA

View Full Version : Venues in Birmingham?

benjames
10-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Whats the best Underground club for Techno in Birmingham?

By underground I don't mean Air!

A lot of people say Medicine Bar but i still remain unconvinced about that place.

Tony
12-04-2005, 04:43 PM
aside from that there isnt really one.

a jaunt up to laads this weekend revealed advertsisng hoardings for a plethora of nights from commercial to underground all dsplaying top names and vibrant music scene.

its very different in birmingham

you might find soemthing on green street, but sean isnt really into techno at all.

other than that catch lo_tech at the boiler room in hockley. varying shades of techno and electro, next time is billy nasty doing electro and the guys from clever music mashing up the minimal sounds in the back ;)

nihilist
12-04-2005, 09:37 PM
the sanctuary is opening again with underground city on 6th may and we're moving toxic city to brum @ the windsor,cannon street which will be every 3 months rotaiting with osmosis and hex-a-tek.so theres underground techno once a month,

mr burns
12-04-2005, 09:42 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32709

ampassasinbirmingham
12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
the sanctuary is opening again with underground city on 6th may and we're moving toxic city to brum @ the windsor,cannon street which will be every 3 months rotaiting with osmosis and hex-a-tek.so theres underground techno once a month,

where is the windsor in birmingham??? i know in digbeth somewhere but where?

nihilist
13-04-2005, 09:09 AM
the windsor is on cannon street b2 5ee and is next door to city plaza shopping arcade just off new street.we have the club above the windsor pub.see you there

eyes without a face
13-04-2005, 10:35 AM
the sanctuary is an awful venue i must say, really dont like the place anymore, thought it was closed for good!

doesnt anyone use Subway anymore?

Patch
13-04-2005, 11:17 AM
Subway is a good venue, but they are fully booked now with Hard House/ Funky on Saturdays, Indie/Rock on Fridays.

The sanctuary is open again, and from what I have heard they are doing some work on the place.

mr burns
13-04-2005, 12:59 PM
i quite like the sanctury its big loads of rooms/stairways/corridors to jst wonder of and get lost in

doc12inch
13-04-2005, 01:06 PM
birmingham is dying for techno.

ill keep saying it - canal club in wolverhampton is the only way forward!!

Tony
13-04-2005, 01:57 PM
birmingham is dying for techno.

ill keep saying it - canal club in wolverhampton is the only way forward!!

i disagree, there was only hog, atomic and a few tiny pockets of resistance a while back. now there are more and more bars deciding that they cant just do funky house all the time. and the pockets of resistance seem to be getting more organised, or getting out of troublesome venues and finding nice secure places to stay and build up a following (osmosis/hexatek for example, i'd completely forgot about those on my last post :oops: )

mr burns
13-04-2005, 04:27 PM
underground city is doing by monthly events now too, we have glenn wilson live on may 6th

nihilist
13-04-2005, 05:02 PM
well said tony!

the sanctuary is a good venue when its full,had some great nights there but it got run down and shitty, so hopefully it can get on its feet again.

eyes without a face
13-04-2005, 05:13 PM
the sanctuary needs totally gutting out and re-doing if its going to be a good venue again.... easily one of the worst places ive played a gig at.... ive some amazing nights in there when its been atomic jam and stuff but when its empty its the lonliest place on earth

mr burns
13-04-2005, 07:11 PM
may 6th wont be empty (i hope) already sorted out 3 coaches from banbury, bristol and leamington

Tony
13-04-2005, 10:23 PM
yeah, wolvos got its spot. and hoepfully they'll keep it vibrant and un-funky house.

chatting to the guy who manages air/custard factory/big peg, and they where looking into the sanctuary. they reckoned a couple of million to put into it, but the lease was only 20years or so, and they wanted a hundred year lease for the money they'd have to put in.

its the way of it.

doc12inch
14-04-2005, 12:45 PM
yeah at the mo wolves is in limbo of its music styles.

sanctuary would be good to be open again. place was ruff as f**k at times.

benjames
16-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Cheers guys, my only worry with the big peg is its location. Were looking to get some hard German techno over for the summer which will no doubt be brilliant for a smaller percent of people! However i would be worried that its not really know as a city centre club. Well worth looking into though.

I gave up on the Sanctuary since the last few times i've been for the same reasons you guys have named. I wonder if the dance factory downstairs is worth a look if you bring your own sound system in.

I guess with the new sound system aswell the Medicine bar is a real option
does anybody know the type of ££££ involved with hiring it.

The Windsor also sounds pretty good and that night looks crackin! Will definately be going down to that one. It will be good to see Glenn Wilson!

With no mention of Radius I take it that the clientel are a litlle scratchy?

Cheers for your comments!

Keep it Hard Funky and Mind Blowing

Dj Slay

278d7e64a374de26f==