PDA

View Full Version : jeff mills discussion..

conflict
10-04-2005, 06:46 PM
found this whilst browsing,did this event happen and did anyone from here attend any??

Axis Discussion Live

With Jeff Mills and Special Guests

In the last twenty-five years, techno music has exploded from the underground to the popular scene. Related both to the experiments of avant-garde electronic composers and to popular forms like disco remix, techno brought electronic music to a wider audience than ever before. Its rise spawned the DJ-as-rock-star and brought music engineers straight into the limelight as performers and leaders. Now DJs travel around the world as “universal citizens.”

Axis Discussion Live is a four-part series of panel discussions with events in New York, Detroit, Paris, and London. Each event will consist of a reception and panel discussion hosted by pioneering DJ and conceptualist, Jeff Mills. The panels will include musicians and composers from electronic, popular, and classical traditions, as well as music scholars and critics. The discussions will explore how the panelists’ work in music has affected their fundamental experience of the world, e.g., memory, communication, citizenship, etc.

Axis Discussion Live was developed as an extension of the successful online question-and-response forum on the Axis Records website. The online discussions pose questions about the role of thought, space, and feeling in our experience of the world and have attracted passionate and informed responses from electronic music fans around the world.

The focus of each discussion will vary according to locale and panelists. At the Centre de Pompidou in Paris, artists and musicians such as Philip Stark and John Pill will discuss techno music’s design in relation to the minimalist aesthetic in art. At Dactyl Foundation in New York City, scholars, DJs, and composers will focus their discussion on music theory and its connections to everyday existence. Possible panelists include A Guy Called Joe, David Bowie, and Bob Schaffer. The Detroit event will bring together the pioneers of Detroit Techno including Derrick May, Carl Craig, Kevin Saunderson, DJ Bone, and Mike Banks. The events will bring together artists, technologists, and performers who rarely get the opportunity to interact, and together they will definitely offer a lively debate on the rhythm that created a new musical form. The series will be completed in London, with an event that is still in its early planning stages.

The Dactyl event is scheduled for Oct. 12 or Oct. 13, 2001. The final date will be set in conjunction with panelists. The evening will begin with an informal reception and introduction of the panelists by Dactyl Foundation. Jeff Mills will discuss the background of the event and host an informal discussion based on questions posed to panelists and questions from the audience. An outline of the discussion topics will be available before the event.

Each event will be photographed and recorded. When the discussions are completed in December 2001, Axis Records will begin a month long series on the Axis Records website. Each week one of the discussions will be broadcast over the internet, accompanied by still photographs.

eyes without a face
10-04-2005, 08:02 PM
cool, if u like that sort of thing

conflict
10-04-2005, 08:07 PM
yea i do

the history of techno is something that really interests me

eyes without a face
10-04-2005, 08:58 PM
i meant in general, so easy tiger

id rather listen to Mills play records to be honest

conflict
10-04-2005, 09:40 PM
no worries i wasnt being arsey

dj casualty
29-08-2005, 12:28 PM
mills is shit anway whats all the fuss about

Esox Lucius
29-08-2005, 12:29 PM
mills is shit anway whats all the fuss about

nice first post.

alsynthe
29-08-2005, 12:34 PM
not another jeff mills post!!!

dj casualty
29-08-2005, 12:40 PM
cheers thought i'd enter with a bang

killarava2day
29-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Sure history is important, relevant maybe, but it's something I've never worried to think about, well with techno anyway.

Does it really make a difference if I don't care about the past, there too much to look forward to.

Mindful
29-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Sounds intreasting too me.

Was also going too make some quote about the future shaping the past but decided against it......

.....oops just did

Serendipity
23-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Er, this is from 2001.

Serendipity
23-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Hmm, bloody non-editing ability - Er, this is from 2001? I never heard of it taking place.

conflict
23-10-2005, 07:06 PM
yea i knew it wasnt recent

dug this out the archives didnt ya

The Overfiend
24-10-2005, 03:03 AM
So no definitive as to whether it occured or not?

278d7e64a374de26f==