PDA

View Full Version : Personal sound

miasma man
10-04-2005, 07:59 PM
Hey up people,

Just wondered if we could get some advice.

We're producing techno and can get all the percussion, drum sounds but we feel the music is lacking in certain key sounds. We need to add a personal touch, add some distinctive sounds but we are not too sure how?

How do you guys do it? Does it largely depend on the hardware / software we have got? Any advice would be appreciated..?

Cheers

MM

eyes without a face
10-04-2005, 09:02 PM
its something that u have to discover for yourself really i find, hence the saying "personal touch" ;) but good places to work from include ur influences, maybe think what u enjoy out of certain tracks/producers and use that as a starting point....

the hardware/software u have does have some say in the matter of course as u maybe not be able to achieve a certain sound u wish, but improvisation will lead to something your happy with and can consider personal

dirty_bass
10-04-2005, 11:51 PM
that`s way too abstract a question.
Most techno is just percussion and drum sounds, so if it doesn`t sound right, then it`s more of a production issue than a creative one more than likely.

Experience and experimentation.

Komplex
11-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Put it this way:

Apart from the cool and fine tuned percussion, what else do you want to express or hear in your own music?

When you can answer that question, you will be half way. The other half will involve getting the sound that you want into your music. And thats a combo of your skills, creativity and choice of instruments.

MARKEG
11-04-2005, 01:14 AM
believe it or not this is a question i've been asking myself so much over the last few years. TBH, if you get a load of your releases out you'll start to realise you have your own sound even though you don't think you do.

take us. 'the anxious'. all we were ever trying to do was techno, but it came out our own way. ppl really thought we had a sound, but it was just us learning equipment, just like you. and after ppl telling us we had a sound, it made us think and we've tried to keep the sound we think ppl like but then take it forward. i've heard your stuff, and it sooooooooo has it's own sound. problem with you is no-one has told you this because you havent had many releases. so yoou don't feel confident and that's why you're asking this question.

at the end of the day, just do what you do. but unless you get your tracks out there, you'll never realise what your sound actually is.

ask me this question after you've had 10 releases and my response will me totally different LOL :)

miasma man
11-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Hey people,

Thanks for the replies, very useful.

I guess we do have our own sound although we want it to be different ! We will keep on producing and marching on then, we are what we are.

Hopefully, we will get more of our tracks out there soon...

fortune
23-04-2005, 10:38 PM
yeah i m having the exact same problem, get some nice bass and drums going and then .......? LOL
i guess you keep learning new things and it sorta progresses by itself
hopefully :cry:
i'm just trying to be influenced by people without copying them

278d7e64a374de26f==