PDA

View Full Version : MORE HELP WITH RECORDING A DEMO!

Agent 24
10-04-2005, 10:11 PM
This is seriously doing my head in!

I'm trying to record a demo CD using Soundforge, via a midi controller keyboard used as a soundcard. It manages to record ok for about 10 minutes before going wrong. The waves on the wave editor bit go all the way to the end (as if the sound was constantly on top volume) and the monitoring function stops working. I end up having to start recording again.

I've checked the memory and that seems to be ok. I suspect it's something to do with the keyboard, as the computer has always worked fine when it's not connected to the keyboard. I normally use the keyboard for music production and that seems to crash on a regular basis - I'd be playing something and all of a sudden I get really loud static coming out of the speakers - the program says "program not responding" and I have to restart the whole thing again.

Any ideas anyone? :cry:

Barely Human
10-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a driver problem to me. Have a look for some new drivers for your soundcard/midi controller and see if that helps...

Agent 24
11-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks mate...I'll do that and let you know how I get on. ;)

Agent 24
12-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Right then, I had a look on the net last night for some new drivers for the keyboard, but there haven't been any new ones since I bought the keyboard.

The only thing I was a bit worried about when I installed the keyboard initially is compatibility with Windows XP. Apparently some products have a special certificate or logo or something to say they have been tested for use with Windows XP. This particular keyboard hasn't got this certification, but the manual said it was ok to install anyway. When I was looking on the net I found a troubleshooting page which said that this may have something to do with it, although if the manufacturers have specifically said it's ok to use with XP I guess it's ok?

The other thing I saw on the troubleshooting page was to do with noise interference in audio programs, which was that static noise I mentioned in the last post. They reckon its something to do with "CPU throttle" - something to do with the PC trying to save power which can mess up sound. Do you know which is the best Power Options setting in XP to stop this? I changed it to "Always On" but not sure of that's right. I also forgot to mention that it always seems to crash when the cooling fan comes on, or maybe that's just a coincidence?

I hate computers. :crackup:

mrbenn
17-04-2005, 09:16 PM
Do get maximum power out of XP do the following:-

open controll panel

double click the system icon

in the system properties box click on the advanced tab

click on the settings box for performance

choose the adjust system for best performance

Agent 24
22-04-2005, 10:15 AM
I think I may have sorted it now - I think I must have had too many sound banks saved on the hard drive. I deleted loads of them, as well as the PowerDVD program (which apparently can mess up sounds on computers).

Phew! :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==