PDA

View Full Version : techno

detfella
11-04-2005, 07:25 PM
over produced?

i love northern soul & perry's rockers sound despite them sounding pretty ruff. i can see that production is an important factor when making techno and new technology has meant production has increased 10 fold. is the production of techno taking over from the musical nature of it?

dirty_bass
11-04-2005, 07:27 PM
I would say yes. In some cases it appears to be about production over content.

Internal Error Records
11-04-2005, 07:28 PM
over produced?

i love northern soul & perry's rockers sound despite them sounding pretty ruff. i can see that production is an important factor when making techno and new technology has meant production has increased 10 fold. is the production of techno taking over from the musical nature of it?

my favorite preach -

circa 1994 if a party at 100 people at it. 1 was a dj and 99 are partiers.

today - 100 people - 1 is the dj, 94 are djs wanting a gig, and 5 people are partiers. and the 94 wanna be djs are making fun of the 5 partiers outfits.

imo - techno isnt over produced. there is just not enough true partiers.

MARK NEENAN
11-04-2005, 07:30 PM
my favorite preach -

today - 100 people - 1 is the dj, 94 are djs wanting a gig, and 5 people are partiers. and the 94 wanna be djs are making fun of the 5 partiers outfits.

like that alot! :clap:

audioinjection
11-04-2005, 07:47 PM
:lol:

Jimfish
11-04-2005, 07:54 PM
i would disagree, in some cases yeah it certainly is production over content. But even in a lot of those you could hardly call the production amazing compared to that in the wider world of music.

Jimfish
11-04-2005, 07:56 PM

amen to that

detfella
11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
over produced?

my favorite preach -

true but maybe it becuase they soon realised that the 1 person djing was getting all the rewards (and for little effort)!! if i go to a night i'm there to party. don't see what this has to do with production tho :eh:

if someone played a banging track that was badly produced maybe those 94 wannabe djs (&producers) are now saying critising the sound of the bass or complaing the kick is too flat and sounds to pffffffffffy. :lol:

Internal Error Records
11-04-2005, 08:14 PM
imo the social notion that being a partier is only a stepping stone prior to being a dj, must be ended.

people must be proud to be partiers. and the djs, promoters, and producers must make the partiers proud to be partiers.

detfella
11-04-2005, 08:23 PM
i'm sure if u paid the party people the same as the dj they would have a great time!!!

Internal Error Records
11-04-2005, 08:24 PM
i'm sure if u paid the party people the same as the dj they would have a great time!!!

i didnt think dj's got paid anymore

detfella
11-04-2005, 08:26 PM

i didnt think dj's got paid anymore

only because music died last week

Joseph Isaac
11-04-2005, 10:32 PM
[quote=detfella]

Awesome...so true.

GothamGrooves.com
12-04-2005, 07:49 AM
[quote="detfella
true but maybe it becuase they soon realised that the 1 person djing was getting all the rewards (and for little effort)!! if i go to a night i'm there to party. don't see what this has to do with production tho :eh:

if someone played a banging track that was badly produced maybe those 94 wannabe djs (&producers) are now saying critising the sound of the bass or complaing the kick is too flat and sounds to pffffffffffy. :lol:[/quote]

Dude, Techno is based on perfection. from the production, to the presing, to the artists who plays it for the audience. True not all kick are hard hitting or crystal clear. But thats what seprate us form progressive nonsense. generic beats with a vocal thrown on top. I think that perfection is what makes/drives techno.
On the flip side sometimes a cool sound is a cool sound and a few kicks & hats that are made perfectly can be boring...

eyes without a face
12-04-2005, 11:30 AM
today - 100 people - 1 is the dj, 94 are djs wanting a gig, and 5 people are partiers. and the 94 wanna be djs are making fun of the 5 partiers outfits

im not sure what parties your going to, but thats certainly not the case over here or in the clubs i go to at least, far from it.... i find it more often than not the party goers are 99% of the time happy to simply get on with partying whilst trying to keep an eye on the tracks getting played, the tricks the dj is doing etc certainly in places like Voodoo, Atomic Jam, were there is always someone wanting to know what the record is thats playing or how a trick was done, which is good, because they appreciate all aspects of the club environment without hassling the dj all the time or trying to pass on cd after cd... but i guess some people know when to wait their turn and some dont....

re the production thing, its a tricky one.... but id say id rather hear a track thats not amazingly produced but has really good musical content than something thats produced amazingly but lacks any credible ideas

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 04:23 PM

HA HA HAAAAA

comin from the man who is first to point out where others ppls problems lie ???

and bemoan loop techno that doesnt go anywhere but its for the dj anyways ???

j/k ;)

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 04:27 PM
and idiots who cant mix (jeff Mills etc) arent helping takin up to £20,000 for 1 show..

add to that DC's arsehole statement about cds & your laughing...

you ppl wanna try dealin with 'techno' in N Ireland..

no clubs, no labels, no scene.. ever dick has a mullet & loves erol alkan ffs..

schlongfingers
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Dude, Techno is based on perfection. from the production, to the presing, to the artists who plays it for the audience.

:doh: you think?

G-whizz
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
re the production thing, its a tricky one.... but id say id rather hear a track thats not amazingly produced but has really good musical content than something thats produced amazingly but lacks any credible ideas

totaly with you on that one mate !

GothamGrooves.com
12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
ever dick has a mullet & loves erol alkan ffs..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: hahahah I dont know wtf that means but it sounds funny as hell!!!!!!!

dirty_bass
12-04-2005, 08:33 PM

HA HA HAAAAA

comin from the man who is first to point out where others ppls problems lie ???

and bemoan loop techno that doesnt go anywhere but its for the dj anyways ???

Personal attacks are a little unnecessary

I simply state it as it is.
It`s easy to become obsessed with production, and in techno you really can in some cases, mash anything together, produce it well, and call it techno.
I`m not saying who does and doesn`t, I think every producer is a little guilty of it sometimes.

Komplex
12-04-2005, 11:56 PM
over produced?

is the production of techno taking over from the musical nature of it?

Only for the people who aren't capable of throwing down more than 3 notes into a track or at least using the music to materialise an idea.

When the track isn't saying anything its very easy to focus solely on the production of it.

It depends on peoples intentions as well. If it's a dj loop record then it doesn't need to be musical, just a solid beat or whatever thats easy to mix.

BUT, when you say overproduced? what do you mean. I never quite understood that saying.

Internal Error Records
12-04-2005, 11:59 PM
i always figure any time techno becomes 'over produced' it becomes another genre.... trance, house, jungle....

because any genre stripped down far enough becomes techno.

imo, if techno has any definitions, it includes - being raw.

Evil G
13-04-2005, 12:29 AM
i can think of a couple of angles to look at "over-produced".

one is when the production gets in the way of the music. any information has both form and content, and it's the form that first gets your attention and says "hey, there is some information in here if you check it out." these two levels are needed, because the content can't advertise itself if you haven't already noticed it. having the first sentence of a book read, "this is a book" wont help. you have to recognize that it's a book by its form, then start reading. when we put too much effort into the presentation of our music, and not enough into the music itself, it's like making a beautiful leather bound book with a lame story inside. we pick it up and look at it before we pick up the ratty paper back, but inside we find story that doesn't have much to say.

the other thing i can think of, is that when a genre as a whole is really well produced, it makes it much more difficult and expensive to break in. look at hollywood movies. you can have the greatest screen play ever written, but if you don't have millions of dollars and decades of experience, your independent film will never be comparable to hollywood. it makes it a tough go because people will naturally pick the shinier product, and once the bar has been set, production that isn't up to par gets over looked. in such a market, nobody gets to work their way up. either you are on the inside, and know the "trade secrets" or you are on the outside, and your art is marginalized.

Evil G
13-04-2005, 12:34 AM
note though that i never said it's impossible to have the best production and have good content. it just requires attention to both, and a lot of hard work.

278d7e64a374de26f==