PDA

View Full Version : not able(ton)??!

stjohn
12-04-2005, 03:54 PM
its something ive been putting off for a while but im trying to get my head around ableton.

before i would make alot of my drum loops in Reason, get a general sequence together, then sequence in cubase sx2, adding basslines and other synths from VSTs.

coz ive been hearing such good reports about Live 4 i decided to try make a track solely with it. but i have to say im slow as fu :eh: !!! did it take people long to get the hang of it?

just a few tech qs tho....

1/ i cannot seem to find the waveshell for Waves, does Live support directX plugs?
2/ is it normal for Live to choke when running a big program like Reaktor or Absynth. the pro53 worked grand and i was very happy to see a menu of automatable functions at the bottom, something that i was always having trouble with in Qbase as ableton is very easy to program my midi controller with
3/ is the impulse a regular sampling drum machine, similar to the reDrum from reason, and if so how do i load samples?

i know there was a thread for tips n tits n tricks for ableton, but im right at the drawing board here!!! so any advice will be greatly recieved!!!

xfive
12-04-2005, 04:07 PM
1/ i cannot seem to find the waveshell for Waves, does Live support directX plugs?
2/ is it normal for Live to choke when running a big program like Reaktor or Absynth. the pro53 worked grand and i was very happy to see a menu of automatable functions at the bottom, something that i was always having trouble with in Qbase as ableton is very easy to program my midi controller with
3/ is the impulse a regular sampling drum machine, similar to the reDrum from reason, and if so how do i load samples?

i know there was a thread for tips n tits n tricks for ableton, but im right at the drawing board here!!! so any advice will be greatly recieved!!!

1) - No directx... only VST
2) Depends on how fast your computers is... mine runs everything fine.
3) Yes... more or less... if you want to seprate out sounds to different tracks you must make a new audio track and set it's input to be the impulse's track, then using the second drop down box select which sample output you want. (And make sure the monitor button is switched ON)
You load samples by drag and drop ;)

I can't really tell you how long it took me to learn... but I've been using it for a few years and I'm retardedly fast with it now ;)

stjohn
12-04-2005, 04:15 PM
retardedly fast??? :lol:

cheers x, man!!! u knocked all those qs on the head! :clap:

xfive
12-04-2005, 04:21 PM
retardedly fast??? :lol:

I guess that is a bit of an oxymoron eh... :lol:

You're welcome ;)

dan the acid man
12-04-2005, 04:46 PM
im seriously thinking about having a bash with this program

xfive
12-04-2005, 04:47 PM
im seriously thinking about having a bash with this program

Doooo eeeet!!! :lol:

stjohn
12-04-2005, 05:05 PM
ive just been hearing non stop good about it, ive messed around with it as a live tool with my controller and it was great craic, even tho i could do only basic stuff!

xfive
12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
I do all my tracks from start to finish right in Live :love:

tocsin
12-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Live is going to make doing a live PA a lot easier. I've only used it live once but I didn't have to bring nearly as much gear with me as I had in the past. It was used for a more experimental set but damn was it easy. I dunno how I feel about writing tracks in it since I'm just so used to how I do things already and don't see much of an advantage. But, it's great to replace any pattern/step based sequencers used in live setups.

Mirsha
12-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Personaly I couldn't see myself using anything other than Ableton for sequencing my tracks together. It's layout is just well done, when using Reason I tend to get lost wondering where I am in a track. Ableton just has a very easy to use click and drop mechanism and the autoamtion features on it are the best I've ever seen, it gives me absoloute control over what I want to do.

Ableton as a live PA tool is increasingly on the rise, Surgeon and Regis both used it with some midi equipment to do their stuff at Dogma the other weekend and I've seen a lot of folk like OBI and Robert Natus carting around a laptop loaded with Ableton.

stjohn
12-04-2005, 07:12 PM
the autoamtion features on it are the best I've ever seen, it gives me absoloute control over what I want to do.

im excited about this, coz i was always lost tryin to automate in cubase, with drop down menus comin out da ying yang!!

Mirsha
12-04-2005, 07:16 PM
It's ableton is sexy, just expand the channel, click on any control and the redline which pops up is your automation bar. Live 4 has a nifty pen tool which means it's dead easy to slice out single beats by cutting the volume with a single click and if you deselect the pen mode the line is formed by points you can move about with to your hearts content. You can also copy and paste the envelopes so you can use them elsewhere once you have them snorted out.

xfive
12-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Unlinked clip envelopes are the BOMB DIGGITY :lol: :lol:

Patrick DSP
13-04-2005, 02:35 AM
1) - No directx... only VST

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/vb-audio/us/products/dxrack/dxrack.htm

there's a 4 rack free ware version at the bottom. it lets you use dx plugins in a VST workspace. perfect for using dx in ableton!!

xfive
13-04-2005, 03:13 AM
whelp there ya go :)

Looks useful

RDR
13-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Unlinked clip envelopes are the BOMB DIGGITY :lol: :lol:

Thats the power right there. Along with the follow on function.

278d7e64a374de26f==