PDA

View Full Version : THEORY OF TECHNO & HOW TO SAVE IT..

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 04:29 PM
GO MAKE SOME & STOP DISCUSSING IT LIKE A BUNCH OF POST GRAD STUDENTS IN A CLEMENTS COFFEE HOUSE FFS

if its all so 'over produced' or 'too loopy' or 'too stringy' or 'too dark' then go do summat about it..

i am sick to the back f**kin teeth going round forums seein thread after thread after thread filled with ppl bitchin & moaning about everything other than THEIR fave artist...

GET
GO OUT
DO SOMETHIN
LESS BORING
INSTEAD!!!!!

sorry :lol:

Internal Error Records
12-04-2005, 04:30 PM
word.

its getting sickening listening to people worry too much and banging too little.

go rock some.

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 04:37 PM
thread after thread after thread of the same ol same ol..

i love the net & its way of helpin ppl anywhere connect & communicate..

but all that technology to sit & moan ?

:nono:

G-whizz
12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
GO MAKE SOME & STOP DISCUSSING IT LIKE A BUNCH OF POST GRAD STUDENTS IN A CLEMENTS COFFEE HOUSE FFS

if its all so 'over produced' or 'too loopy' or 'too stringy' or 'too dark' then go do summat about it..

i am sick to the back f**kin teeth going round forums seein thread after thread after thread filled with ppl bitchin & moaning about everything other than THEIR fave artist...

GET
GO OUT
DO SOMETHIN
LESS BORING
INSTEAD!!!!!

i'm with you there mate :lol:

tocsin
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Just curious. But, is bitching about the people who bitch really any better of a contribution? :p

Internal Error Records
12-04-2005, 04:41 PM
if people spent 50% of the time they spend talking about making things better, actually making things better than they would have nothing to cirtisize, complain about, or fear.

Internal Error Records
12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Just curious. But, is bitching about the people who bitch really any better of a contribution? :p

yes

we are at least changing the topic

tocsin
12-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Has the topic really been changed? ;) I dunno. I find the discussion of ideas for improvement to be helpful. Two heads are better than one. BTW, it was nice meeting you and Ryan the other night. Are you going to that party on the 23rd that he's playing?

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 05:13 PM

son of a... lol

tell ya whats worse... checkin the thread an hour later lol

well, i knocked up a nice loop in Reason, so its all good lol[/code]

Internal Error Records
12-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Has the topic really been changed? ;) I dunno. I find the discussion of ideas for improvement to be helpful. Two heads are better than one. BTW, it was nice meeting you and Ryan the other night. Are you going to that party on the 23rd that he's playing?

deep thinking isnt always productive thinking ;-) many smart people are too smart to be effective in an operational capacity. (ut oh, i risk revealing a human resource background).

yes it was good to remeet you, years ago you and I got breakfast after a party with skinner. (i think).

the party ryan is spinning at on 23rd is my party ;-), (well in part)

slavestudios
12-04-2005, 05:15 PM
but you know what i mean...

those pountless arguments where 1 person likes dj blah blah & some else likes dj whatever.. and it goes on & on lol

ANYWAYS, i'm gotta get fed & go play with me dex n stuff..

n-joi :lol:

Komplex
13-04-2005, 12:16 AM

Isn't that what forums are for? ;)

dirty_bass
13-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Discussion is important.
It can`t always be smiles and pats on the back.
Crit and discussion helps us all to improve.

detfella
13-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Discussion is important.

:clap:

spot on!!

Internal Error Records
13-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Discussion is important.

people perpetually mulling over things in a uber-sized ball of negativity doesnt equate to discussion.

it seems like a thread can be going great, and someone will always have to throw a negative curveball into the thread just so they can see themselves ruin the topic.

dirty_bass
13-04-2005, 01:48 AM
I don`t think anyone is doing it just to ruin topics.
You gotta take the rough with the smooth in life.

djshiva
13-04-2005, 03:29 AM
i gotta agree that people cry about negativity a lot when what they are actually witnessing is honest critique.

we are so used to people telling us what we want to hear that when someone is honest we get all wibbly and freaked out.

and as for the topic, i would say that a hearty chunk of the cats discussing on this board ARE making music and putting their theories to work. but sometimes you gotta take some time away from the bang bang and just go chat to stretch your brain in other directions.

OriginalTechnobastard
13-04-2005, 10:50 AM
I was thinking the same regarding the topic listed but few things need addressing

fatcollective
13-04-2005, 01:58 PM

GET
GO OUT
DO SOMETHIN
LESS BORING
INSTEAD!!!!!

Best thing i have heard on this forum for ages!

AcidTrash
13-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I love horses. Best of all the animals.

jon connor
13-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Discussion is important.

spot on!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: well said ;)

on + on + on +on , stop you b.a.s.t.a.r.d.s and do summit about it doods !
noticed you aint seen me around for a bit on the old message boards well its because posts like these were giving me a nervous break down, + the feeling of its all over , im grafting my ass off at the moment + working hard to save my pennys for my label and more equipment to come give you lot some metal :rambo: i aint no rich bum boy with daddys bank card who can buy my way into anythink , so i suggest more of you guys who do nothing more than worry about the end of techno the end of vynyl the end of the world get off your ass and go do somthing possitive. nothing is going anyware soldier on and you will all get there. ;)

pheww! now thats blurted out im off back to work ;)

I WILL BE BACK :lol:

Prepare for the fire works see yall soon doods! ;)

TechMouse
13-04-2005, 04:02 PM
HUGE.

dirty_bass
13-04-2005, 04:38 PM

GET
GO OUT
DO SOMETHIN
LESS BORING
INSTEAD!!!!!

Yeah, but will anyone do anything about it, or will they just make techno that "sounds like".
Rather than genuinly digging ofr something new.

fatcollective
13-04-2005, 08:05 PM
the people that keep goin on about change and how shit techno is should do something about it...im not one of those people!

techno music at the moment is as good as it has ever been IMO.

Mindful
13-04-2005, 08:39 PM
the people that keep goin on about change and how shit techno is should do something about it...im not one of those people!

techno music at the moment is as good as it has ever been IMO.

I aggree techno is as healthy as ever but im one of the people whos looking for somthing new(allways am)

BUT that doesnt mean im unhappy with the current state of techno infact I love it more than I ever have and theres still loads I still have to discover I have prefrences to certain styles,vibes,artist and labels but im open to anything thats good.

I couldnt give a shit if its a stand alone track or its the same loop for 7 mins if it moves me then im sure I can do somthing with it and im a happy man.

I belive the onley problems are in some peoples heads and these "problems"pick up steam when disscussed on forums like this and become somthing that isnt realy there.

I know that when I go buying records I never have enuff money for all the music I whant so to me theres definatley good music constantley coming out.

Joseph Isaac
13-04-2005, 10:39 PM

My point exactly...well put.

slavestudios
13-04-2005, 11:33 PM

GET
GO OUT
DO SOMETHIN
LESS BORING
INSTEAD!!!!!

Yeah, but will anyone do anything about it, or will they just make techno that "sounds like".

absolutely.. ive just started selling ever bit of old hardware i have.

i've had great live shows & good fun, but i'm moving on. laptop next with the possibility of totally dumpin turntables & vinyl.

i dont know yet.. but i'm bored of doing the same thing & reading the same old trotted out rubbish..

of course discussion is good. its a great thing. but when it just becomes 2 ppl battlin over opinions & theres no right & wrong, it serves no purpose..

i'm all for pushing techno. ive been thru the 'looptastic' stage & i wanna push on & do sumthin else..

i jus dont think endless evenings going over the same topics is helping anyone..

slavestudios
13-04-2005, 11:35 PM
its also one of the reasons i aint made anything lately..

cos it aint workin. i need to try another approach. so ive been workin hard at 'using' the software instead of jus makin more loops..

and gettin abck on the dex a lot more..

gone are the nights of endless forum banter.. half an hour 2 or 3 times a week will do..

ive got LIVE to get me head round

acidsaturation
14-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Is even that a problem as long as we're enjoying doing it?

dirty_bass
14-04-2005, 10:58 AM

Well, in a way no.

But being unchallenging and just pandering to what people already know, is the domain of kylie minogue, and the endless boybands who do the same thing over and over and over.

And this is techno, so , I think things should always push a bit, and ride the edge if possible.

slavestudios
14-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I don`t think anyone is doing it just to ruin topics.
You gotta take the rough with the smooth in life.

the ruff with the smooof ? its a forum ffs... not a firing line lol

jesus.. get out more lol

slavestudios
14-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Well, in a way no.

But being unchallenging and just pandering to what people already know, is the domain of kylie minogue, and the endless boybands who do the same thing over and over and over.

And this is techno, so , I think things should always push a bit, and ride the edge if possible.

dirty, i dont mean to sound overly abrasive, but for all your knockin of techno, your work aint anything super future imo..

its super well put togther, but its not pushin anywhere imo..

dirty_bass
14-04-2005, 09:07 PM
dude, the work I really have a passion for is very hard to get released.
If you don`t think I`m experimenting in any way then you really don`t know me.
I`m spending most of my time working on non techno for an experimental project and a new label.

The thing is you see, you can be diverse, and do more than one thing.

So your accusations are a little uninformed and once again, a personal attack.

I`m on a very big personal mission to push myself artistically and I am doing so, with my voidloss project.

But at the same time, people ask me to make more conventional techno, and I make it, plus I enjoy playing the more straight kind of techno live.

No one is more critical of what I do than me, and I do play devils advocate, but I like to push people to try new things, and I like people to push me to try new things.

Pats on the back are all fair and well, but they don`t really aid progression.

So yeah, think what you want about me, I know what I`m doing to push myself forward.

ds2
14-04-2005, 09:54 PM
dude, the work I really have a passion for is very hard to get released.

don't you have your own label though?

dirty_bass
14-04-2005, 10:12 PM
I do, and the reason I haven`t released for a while is I`m trying to feel out how a complete change of sound will go down.
Personally what I would like to get released on there will simply not sell to the current market I have, as I have been a bit pidgeon holed in a way.
The stuff I am most passionate about now, has more of a song like structure than your average techno track, and there is use of vocals and stuff, and I really don`t know if that will go well with DirtyBass Records
What do you think?
I was thinking about turning the DirtyBass Label into a launchpad for new talent, and just maybe sticking one of my tracks on it, and have the rest for new artists.
In fact the next few planned releases have some homegrown talent from BOA on them.
Seeing as it`s my money I`m ploughing into this project I have to be very careful.

So This is why I am starting the Singularity Ltd EP series.
A label devoted to musical experimentation within the techno genre.

RDR
14-04-2005, 10:35 PM

oh good god! Pete you are a gem..

LOL

as for my 2pworth i do "bang out" tracks. i dont discuss the latest releases cos i dont listen to em. I cant listen to em, my ears dont hear the tune, they hear the production. i dont listen to techno anymore cos i dont want to be the same. I like making music, but something that some from inside. not and external force, and internal one.

There is no point in my mind of slating or applauding the latest techno releases because i really dont care about them. the artist in question (if they are worth their salt) will do that without outside intervention.

I post my dog shit here because i like and respect the constructive criticism i get from other producers.

I challenge you to post this on the productionpromotion forums and see what happens....

just a bit o my mind- nothing personal :)

dirty_bass
14-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I challenge you to post this on the productionpromotion forums and see what happens....

just a bit o my mind- nothing personal :)

Who are you challenging, and what are you challenging them to post?

slavestudios
14-04-2005, 11:55 PM
dirty, i wasnt attackin you personally as i dont know you.

what i'm gettin at is how you talk candidly about your opinion on trax & artists & how you feel techno is generally not pushing anywhere..

and while i havent heard your no techno work (having no doubt that it is quality) i dont hear anything daring in your techno trax..

but as you say, you get asked for straight trax, so maybe this is why.. the experimentation happens off the dancefloor more often than not.

either way, while i may disagree with you on one or more issues, i certainly have no intent to attack you personally.

dirty_bass
15-04-2005, 01:40 AM
Well, you are kind of correct, I wasn`t really taking many risks, but then I was still learning to produce while I was releasing. (and you need to know that each release took a long time to come out for various reasons, so it didn`t really represent what I was doing at the time)
However after 4 releases I had already started to see that I needed to go further with what I was doing.
As I was looking through my record collection (yes, I still buy vinyl), and I realised, that techno hasn`t really moved for the last 3 years, and I was part of it.
I`m trying to do something about this now.
There are so many labels now, and not many of them stand out.
The problem I see is that a lot of producers, are making their techno within constraints.
It`s very easy, when making techno, to kind of refer to it in the context of "does this sound like techno, is this what so and so would do?"
And then compare your work to other techno.
So a lot of stuff sounds like other stuff.

I`m gonna take some chances with my own label
I just wish other people would as well, rather than just trying to sound like their idols or peers whatever.

The Overfiend
15-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Liking the direction of this debate.
And for the record Dirty has quite a few tricks up his sleeve.
Just when I think I've made the dopest track he sends me back to the drawing board. Without people like that improvement maybe would not have been made. I commend anyone who challenges you to break your own mold and really come with it. Lot of good shit is made by mistake, remember that.

acidsaturation
15-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Well, in a way no.

slavestudios
16-04-2005, 09:39 AM
dirty, to assume EVERYONE is trying to sound like someone else is foolish imo..

as much as i like Amok or BMB or Spooky or John Beltran, i dont want to sound like anyone..

obviously, my influences will be apparent to anyone who listens to my trax, but i never once set out to 'sound like techno' or any specific artist..

other than 'pete donaodson' thank you very much ;)

AcidTrash
16-04-2005, 01:36 PM
I tend to find I worked to match my techno influences in terms of style and quality and when I got close I found myself in a rut and it wasn't until BOA folks gave me a hard time that I broke the mold I'd made for myself and set about making a new one.Only then did I start making music I considered good.

FUSION
16-04-2005, 02:07 PM
and look where its got ya pete,,,,, watch this guy hes gunna do good :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dirty_bass
16-04-2005, 02:16 PM
dirty, to assume EVERYONE is trying to sound like someone else is foolish imo..

as much as i like Amok or BMB or Spooky or John Beltran, i dont want to sound like anyone..

obviously, my influences will be apparent to anyone who listens to my trax, but i never once set out to 'sound like techno' or any specific artist..

other than 'pete donaodson' thank you very much ;)
I don`t think I said EVERYONE at any point.

But regardless. When the majority of people make techno, you enter into a format.
909 for kicks (most people)
909 for hats (most people)
certian structures and patterns
blahblah

I hear a lot of stuff by new producers and it sounds like Dave the Drummer, or Glen Wilson or whatever.

I think people are a little reticent to take risks.

Or it would appear so, as I can play stuff from years ago that still sounds the same as new releases.

I`m getting jumped on here a little.
And it`s not like I don`t like techno, but I think things need a shake at the moment, thats all.

If you want me to sit around and pat backs and suck cock all day, I can, but it won`t help anyone.

Credit where credit is due, there are a lot of people trying to push themselves musically as well. But not enough.

278d7e64a374de26f==