PDA

View Full Version : my Mackie SR24!!!

tekara
14-04-2005, 11:36 AM
just a quick question: Has anyone here ever gone through the trouble of bouncing all their audio tracks from their sequencer into an exterior mixer to EQ and then bouncing it the signals back into the computer?

I plan on doing just that with my Mackie SR24.

The only problem is that it has 24 ins/outs and my MOTU only has 8. Usually i have more than 8 audio tracks in a song and was wondering how i can fix this situation if i dont have enough outs on my MOTU?

cheers...

Access Virus KC
Roland SH-101
Jomox Xbase09
Motu828
Cubase SX

thats my hardware and software.

Can anyone recommend some possible connections? Im debating on whether i should patch the hardware into mixer or into my Ins on the MOTU.

any help would be appreciated!

tekara
14-04-2005, 11:36 AM
just to clarify if i was being unclear....

i meant possible connections as in different routing possibilities you guys can suggest.

:doh:

RDR
14-04-2005, 11:45 AM
you mean the SR24 has 24 direct outs?

how many buss is the mackie?

tekara
15-04-2005, 06:17 AM
yes it has 24 outs.

im trying to figure out how i can utlize this whole mixer. It was sold to me at about 1/3 of the price so i picked it up nonetheless......

any suggestions?

I was thinking of patching the BD,SD,HH from my Jomox to the mixer, Virus C to the mixer, SH101 to the mixer, monitors to the mixer. Then hook up the other eight outs from my motu to the rest of the mixer.

would this be the best?

thanks

Komplex
15-04-2005, 06:50 AM
Thats a hard question to answer. First of all, how do you actually record your music? (the final mixdown) And what is your overall process/workflow?

tekara
15-04-2005, 12:21 PM
i record everything in cubase SX

im thinking of bouncing all tracks out to mixer then back in. It seems quite a tedious task though no?

perhaps i shold just invest in a mackie control universal or something?

one of the main reasons why i wanted to use the mackie was because i wanted to EQ everything in one shot instead of opening a million instances of waves plugin.

Komplex
17-04-2005, 01:38 AM
i record everything in cubase SX

I'm thinking of bouncing all tracks out to mixer then back in. It seems quite a tedious task though no?

Yeah, it's unnecesarily complicating the workflow. The time you waste doing that will be worse than going through dozens of waves eq plugins...

IF you had another device or computer to record the final two track mixdown onto, you could run your computer's seperate outs into the mixer together with your hardware and just record it live after tweaking whatever eq you need to tweak.

Or if theres an element from one of your synths that you want to record and process/tweak/effect within your computer during the composition of your track, you could assign two sends on your mixer and have them go to the input of your soundcard so you could record that stuff on the fly as you tweak it. Then cut up and use whatever bits sound good.

You can also do the send thing with audio coming out of your computer. Get a loop going, eq everything, process it how you want through your mixer and any other hardware processing you have and send it back into your computer.

The thing is you don't have to do it with every single track/channel/instrument. Only when its needed.

Its really up to you man, just don't make it a chore for yourself cus it will f*ck up your workflow and you may get frustrated if it doesn't let you express ideas quickly. Play around, patch things, repatch things till you figure out a way that suits you :)

tekara
18-04-2005, 06:06 AM
i think you may be right.

Im trying to aim for some hands on control + external EQ effects with my Mackie SR24 but i could probably just be happy enough with a surface controller and a dozen plugins.

I do usually have more than 8 tracks per song in cubase and since i only have a MOTU 828, i would probably have to get another 828 for additional outs.

Having said that, i probably like the IDEA of having a mixer, but it may be complicating the workflow with unneccessary complications. Thanks for the input.

Has anybody heard anything good about the Control Universal?

FILTERZ
18-04-2005, 09:03 AM
Does your 828 have an adat output as well you can get an adat converter that will give you another 8 ins and outs.

tekara
20-04-2005, 08:02 AM
yes it does filterz

actually i was also thinking of that as an option as well.

Im thinking of either a Behringer ADA800 or something else....

I keep hearing bad things about behringer so im not sure which one to go with though....

nova
20-04-2005, 09:23 AM
i got an 828mk2. so you can hav 16 outputs then with the adat? and ins. thats good good good.

FILTERZ
20-04-2005, 09:50 AM
yes it does filterz

actually i was also thinking of that as an option as well.

Im thinking of either a Behringer ADA800 or something else....

I keep hearing bad things about behringer so im not sure which one to go with though....

well , i have the same problem , dont know which converter to buy

278d7e64a374de26f==