PDA

View Full Version : Beat matching prob

LEE.S.I
18-04-2005, 08:00 PM
Does anyone ever have these follwoing probs:

1:Tune sound in sinc but is totally out when going live
2:Sometimes on certain tunes cant even hear the beat so try to use the off beat n its even harder :doh:

As usual ive found practrice helps but odd few times get these probs
Any suggestions ;)

Mirsha
18-04-2005, 08:20 PM
The first problem could be from a variety of sources really. There could be delay in the equipment you are using, you could be hearing acoustic reverbs interfering with what you are hearing.

Second problem there are a few ways to deal with it. Either you can match the hi's up or just crank the bass gain up to max until you can hear it when you are cueing before returning it to normal levels before you start your transition. You have to be aware that some basslines when beatmatched can cancel each other out which could be a source of this problem.

If you want a bit more detailed help fro people it might be a good idea to actually state what sort of equipment you are using so that if they have any opinions based on specific equipment or known problems they can chip in.

MangaFish
18-04-2005, 08:37 PM
i think (and correct me if i'm wrong) this is the question of a newbe on the decks letting off steam rather than a technical question.

Mirsha
18-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Actually I thought they were questions looking for answers regardless of whether they came from a technical or blowing off stream direction.

eyes without a face
18-04-2005, 10:28 PM
i understand Manga, the problems sound like something someone who is very new to the decks wud imagine are there until they get to grips with things a bit more... hard to explain but i know what ur getting at

dan the acid man
18-04-2005, 11:48 PM
weve all been here and experienced the same problems, practice is the name of the game, im still learning myself

Hakka
19-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Actually I thought they were questions looking for answers regardless of whether they came from a technical or blowing off stream direction.

Agree with you mate.

help should be offered to anyone that asks for it, regardless of if they are new or not.

Yoshimitsu
19-04-2005, 10:39 AM
sometimes it does sound all good in yer phones, but out wen ya bring it in. I usually combat it by having the headphones only half on my ear, that way you get a slight delay from both

LEE.S.I
19-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Cheers 4 ya help people, i posted these questions here 4 tips as thats what I though this section was here 4, ive been Djing more serious at home 4 about 8months, just wanted to no if anyome ells had these probs. ;)

eyes without a face
19-04-2005, 09:08 PM
sometimes it does sound all good in yer phones, but out wen ya bring it in

in a club environment, with bad monitoring maybe.... but at home, i dont see how? unless its a bad mix of course haha ;)

of course anyone with new questions should be answered but this doesnt make sense....

2:Sometimes on certain tunes cant even hear the beat so try to use the off beat n its even harder

1 - what? as ive said unless in a club environment, and im guessing ur not?, then how? this is simply a bad mix... and will b solved with time and time only

2 - again... what? why wud u want to mix on the offbeat if its simple 4/4 which im guessing it is, and mix up ur timings? no wonder ur having problems...

if ur really new then its best to just keep it simple, if ur really new hey just keep mixing the same 3 - 5 records until uve nailed every possible mix combination

ul get there no worries

Hakka
19-04-2005, 09:12 PM

in a club environment, with bad monitoring maybe.... but at home, i dont see how? unless its a bad mix of course haha ;)

of course anyone with new questions should be answered but this doesnt make sense....

2:Sometimes on certain tunes cant even hear the beat so try to use the off beat n its even harder

1 - what? as ive said unless in a club environment, and im guessing ur not?, then how? this is simply a bad mix... and will b solved with time and time only

2 - again... what? why wud u want to mix on the offbeat if its simple 4/4 which im guessing it is, and mix up ur timings? no wonder ur having problems...

if ur really new then its best to just keep it simple, if ur really new hey just keep mixing the same 3 - 5 records until uve nailed every possible mix combination

ul get there no worries

could be a bad home system. My steroe is 7 years old £150 currys job, it's bollocks and sounds bollocks after years of caining it. Mixes sound awful through it as does most bassy music in general. Try recording your mixes and listening to them through a different stereo and see what they are like.

Barely Human
20-04-2005, 01:15 AM
I dont want this to sound patronising in any way at all mate, im just trying to establish how much you have learnt about the art so far, so here is a few questions...

1. Do you know about the 16 beats, and mixing on the first beat of 16? And have you taken this further to mixing to 128 etc?

2. Can you instantly recognise if a beat is not matched and correct the pitch acordingly?

Again mate, dont take these questions the wrong way, if you can do these with ease, then there could be a problem with your setup, allthough i cant see what would be causing a massive delay like that. If you are really new, and are still learning the basics of beat matching then i can give you some handy tips to make things easier for you..

EmotionComplex
20-04-2005, 02:54 AM
if your using bassy home hi fi speakers then id imagine its down to that, i remember when i first started to mix using some bassy jvc speakers next to my wall , it was really hard to beatmatch properly as the kick and bass line were so rumbly and overpowering.

try moving your speakers away from walls / knocking some of the bottom end off your master eq on mixer/hi fi/amp if it turns out that was the case

Hakka
20-04-2005, 06:17 AM
if your using bassy home hi fi speakers then id imagine its down to that, i remember when i first started to mix using some bassy jvc speakers next to my wall , it was really hard to beatmatch properly as the kick and bass line were so rumbly and overpowering.

try moving your speakers away from walls / knocking some of the bottom end off your master eq on mixer/hi fi/amp if it turns out that was the case

this is what I'm thinking...

rs1800
20-04-2005, 12:45 PM
2 things that I found useful when I started to play out.

1) If your mixer can do it, try bleeding in just a little of the output in to your headphone as you can hear if its a liitle bit out before you 'go live' with the cue channel

2) As soon as I have the cue channel live, I forget the headphones and just listen to the monitors. You can always have a quick listen to them if it starts going out and you dont know which is ahead.

MARKEG
20-04-2005, 01:31 PM
2) As soon as I have the cue channel live, I forget the headphones and just listen to the monitors. You can always have a quick listen to them if it starts going out and you dont know which is ahead.

:clap: :clap: bang on :clap: :clap:

LEE.S.I
20-04-2005, 07:16 PM

ul get there no worries

Ye m8 I know to beatmatch on the first 16 n that n leav it ride 4 a bit, im not retatred on em like ive done a few mix tapes n listend back to em, no I just asked these questions cuz sometimes the odd time it happens and if it happens to anyones ells like. ;)

LEE.S.I
20-04-2005, 07:22 PM

Yeah m8, i do that as well, take me headphones off n use the monitors and if its out a bit use me finger to pitch bend it n that ;)
Somtimes might if the mixers got 1 will put both phones on n use the mix cue to listen to both records, but mostly use the one ear ;)

LEE.S.I
20-04-2005, 07:26 PM
I dont want this to sound patronising in any way at all mate, im just trying to establish how much you have learnt about the art so far, so here is a few questions...

1. Do you know about the 16 beats, and mixing on the first beat of 16? And have you taken this further to mixing to 128 etc?

2. Can you instantly recognise if a beat is not matched and correct the pitch acordingly?

Again mate, dont take these questions the wrong way, if you can do these with ease, then there could be a problem with your setup, allthough i cant see what would be causing a massive delay like that. If you are really new, and are still learning the basics of beat matching then i can give you some handy tips to make things easier for you..

If you give us them tips anyway then I can try em see if its any better than what im doing :clap: cheers m8 ;) ;)

Mirsha
20-04-2005, 08:01 PM
I need to ween myself off using the headphones constantly. Sometimes when it's going well I'll abandon them but if I'm feeling at all dicey about it they stay near an ear.

MangaFish
20-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Agree with you mate.

help should be offered to anyone that asks for it, regardless of if they are new or not.

agreed, but the 1st reply was a very technical saying its the equipments fault.
i was mearly commenting that i though the original poster was asking for mixing tips as he is a newbe

sorry i didnt make myself very clear originally

278d7e64a374de26f==