PDA

View Full Version : educate me please, because i really cant find anything wrong

MangaFish
18-04-2005, 08:46 PM
somebody educate me please, because i really cant find anything wrong with techno.

people keep saying "its not as good as it used to be". when was it better? the old techno tracks i've heard and live sets i've downlaoded from 'back in the day' doesnt sound any better than todays stuff. infact most of it sounds cheesier and badly mixed :neutral:

i'll admit i've only been into 'real' (for want a better word) techno for 2 years so i'm still a newbe relatively speeking. but i'm enjoying what i'm hearing so why is everybody moaning?

gumpy green
18-04-2005, 08:53 PM
not sure...around here techno is prob doing as well if not better than it ever was...

it has got alot more commercial in some areas of the scene but then again i tend to stay clear of this scene....

was at a crazy free party just on sat ther which was QUALITY. Must be as good as it was back in the day for sure.

but i wasent going to partys till '01 or so....but it has got better from what ive saw.

dirty_bass
18-04-2005, 10:29 PM
I think it`s the same as it used to be.
Not better or worse.

eyes without a face
18-04-2005, 10:32 PM
yeah i have to agree sometimes, id say on the whole things arent quite as good as say a couple of years ago, but there are some superb producers out there, established, newbies etc and some really good records coming out, some fantastic new Dj's popping up too

Mirsha
18-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Some folk think it's better, some folk think it's worse. Most people probably spend too much time worrying about it to be honest or get too worked up over stuff.

audioinjection
18-04-2005, 11:30 PM
i find that some of the older people dont like techno as much anymore because they relate the music w/ how the parties used to be, and how much bigger parties used to be i guess

dirty_bass
18-04-2005, 11:53 PM
I don`t think the music was better then. There was certianly more large parties.
The problem I have is that the music hasn`t really moved, except in the real nieche sub genres, for a few years now.

MARKEG
18-04-2005, 11:53 PM
techno rocks.

"aint as good as it used to be"??

arrghhhhhhhh come on. you're just not looking in the right places.

dirty_bass
19-04-2005, 12:30 AM
yeah, there is still good stuff, but you really do have to dig, or sometimes wait an age for it. This summer will certianly sort the wheat from the chaff

BRADLEE
19-04-2005, 12:34 AM
agreed, there is good and there is bad, but I really think it just keeps getting better and better with the influences of new people making the tunes. Plus, with Techno it's all open ended. The way things progress is just in how much of a forward thinker the producer is...Some lack, others excell.....

TechMouse
19-04-2005, 09:56 AM
people keep saying "its not as good as it used to be".
If I was a cynic, I might think that what people are saying is "My interest in Techno isn't as good as it used to be". Perhaps for some people it's come to the end of it's run and outlived it's interest. There's no such thing as boredom, only boring people etc. etc. - if you're bored then move on and find something that interests you... I find something new and interesting in Techno practically every day.

But I'm not a cynic, so I won't say anything. :)

OriginalTechnobastard
19-04-2005, 10:56 AM
I've think its al ot better. Some of that old stuff sound so cheesy and housey. You have to blame the French lot for the improvement though :clap:

Mirsha
19-04-2005, 11:25 AM
i find that some of the older people dont like techno as much anymore because they relate the music w/ how the parties used to be, and how much bigger parties used to be i guess
The thing I feel though is, why is there this great perception that a larger party must somehow be better? For a start looking at it in a cluby way, a huge clubnight means one which is busy, you know where people keep knocking your drink, stabbing you with cigarettes, it's imposible to move anywhere and some prick in a burberry keeps elbowing you in the ribs if you try to make it onto the dancefloor. Busy over populated nights are pretty much always ruined by the sheer volume of people attending them.

I haven't been to any seriously huge parties yet but I don't see the massive appeal of it. Yeah so there is a thousand people, I don't know most of them and they are all strangers whereas at a smaller party of a few hundred you can form a connection to just about anyone else there via friends. The whole sort of "this is me and my mates" vibe is much better than the "it's a huge amount of people all cramming in" feeling, it's probably the same sort of reason that I can't be bothered with ever going to the large festivals like Glasto or T in the Park.

Maybe it's just the Edinburgh thing leaking through, as it's such a small city and it's quite scary how everyone knows each other.

Honeey
19-04-2005, 04:14 PM
It's puzzling to me to hear so much negativity around the subject.

I feel techno has only gotten better over the years and I see no slowing down, there are too many people still obsessed with it and loads of people interested in making, and still making good techno.

I've been at the techno for 16 years and I have to say that I love techno even more now from my experiences with it, never been bored of it and I can't understand how anyone could get bored of it.

It's not an easy route to choose playing techno but the musical rewards are worth it in the end to me.

Internal Error Records
19-04-2005, 11:19 PM
somebody educate me please, because i really cant find anything wrong with techno.

people keep saying "its not as good as it used to be". when was it better? the old techno tracks i've heard and live sets i've downlaoded from 'back in the day' doesnt sound any better than todays stuff. infact most of it sounds cheesier and badly mixed :neutral:

i'll admit i've only been into 'real' (for want a better word) techno for 2 years so i'm still a newbe relatively speeking. but i'm enjoying what i'm hearing so why is everybody moaning?

in any genre, in any art form at all... . there are going to be people who have stuck with it too long for their own good. much like people staying in relationships too long. these people tend to get negative and harsh. also internet forums in general tend to promote negativity. (although there is still many good people on the forums).

it also has alot to do with the way a forum is admin'd. because a lack of guidance is still a form of neglected guidance.

a forum doesnt have to be in blatant comucative free-fall. some direction can be placed into the threads.

AcidTrash
20-04-2005, 12:16 AM
Techno isn't as good as it used to be. It was ****in ace last week and now it's all a bit different.

Internal Error Records
20-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Techno isn't as good as it used to be. It was ****in ace last week and now it's all a bit different.

Pete!! Dont instigate!!!

And go get some sleep! :cool:

schlongfingers
20-04-2005, 02:10 AM
I think it's a fair argument, if you look back at 92-96 and the techno releases in those years, 60-80% of releases were standout tracks that still kill the dancefloor now. These days it's 5-10% if not less that will even go so far as to make me move my left ass cheek. I don't think I'm jaded, I just feel that those years were where the real experimentation was foraged, and that these days innovation is extremely rare - in most cases it's been done before.

These days too many people have taken existing productions as a benchmark, when in reality, what really moves both a dancefloor and a investigative mind is the sound that is new, which gets rarer and rarer.

Internal Error Records
20-04-2005, 03:33 AM
I think it's a fair argument, if you look back at 92-96 and the techno releases in those years, 60-80% of releases were standout tracks that still kill the dancefloor now. These days it's 5-10% if not less that will even go so far as to make me move my left ass cheek. I don't think I'm jaded, I just feel that those years were where the real experimentation was foraged, and that these days innovation is extremely rare - in most cases it's been done before.

These days too many people have taken existing productions as a benchmark, when in reality, what really moves both a dancefloor and a investigative mind is the sound that is new, which gets rarer and rarer.

what nobody from after 1996 relises is that techno/electronica from 1986-1994 was made by real musicians with real producers in real studios with real production budgets.

85% of techno now adays may be fluff, but there is 85% more producers today with 85% less musical education as the folks from the late 80's.

the great thing about now adays is that all this software and whatnot is helping find all the great techno beathovens who wouldnt otherwise have access to produce music.

so i guess it all balances out. imo there is just as much good and bad music as any other time.

crime
20-04-2005, 08:59 AM
the great thing about now adays is that all this software and whatnot is helping find all the great techno beathovens who wouldnt otherwise have access to produce music.

who then get lost in the plethora of shite..

word to these last 2 posts, bang on, I suggest to anyone who came into this whole thing later on to spend a few weeks only listening to pre 1996 stuff, maybe then they would understand.. In the past each producer had their own sound.. I think what happened is each of those producers had 50 people copy them which is why we're in the situation we're in now.. I went record shopping yesterday, and didn't buy anything from after 1997, not because it was from 1997 and before, but because they were the only good records I seemed to be able to find in the shop....

There are a few good bits coming thru here and there but in your average dj's lust to get more gigs, more exposure, half baked stuff is getting releases which shouldn't even make it out of the studio (haha, there's a funny concept, studio..er, off the computer desk I should say) let alone onto vinyl.. where did that thought come from: make as many records as possible = more exposure = more gigs = i am now a big name ? doesn't work like that, quality over quantity is what counts

This is not a dig at anyone who came into this scene slightly later or people who make music with computers btw, just my observation from my viewpoint at what has happened.. there are some people who make very good music on computers, just as I say, it's lost in the fudge these days due to the amount of crap around..

Paul Zykotik
20-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe it's just the Edinburgh thing leaking through, as it's such a small city and it's quite scary how everyone knows each other.

The world's largest village ;) It was funny how you could chat to someone and link them to someone you knew within seconds.

But I agree with you, that's part of what made the scene up there so good, and it can apply to just about anywhere. The big parties in terms of scale, production etc can be quite impressive at first, but as you get older that becomes much less important. The vibe at smaller parties is much better - you'll speak to someone and you'll see them again later on in the night, and the next week, and the next and so on.

As far as techno itself goes, most people get bored of their passion at some point in their life. I don't believe it's better or worse than what was there before, and I've heard a fair bit of pre 96 stuff. It's easy to look back and think how great it all was then, but there was probably just as much tat coming out in those days as there is now. Certainly everything seems more innovative when you first get into techno, because you've never heard anything like it. Then as you hear more and more you realise that not every track is a groundbreaker.

If people aren't enjoying it as much, they should take a break. That's what I've done with techno for the last couple of years, and coming back into it now I'm hearing some stuff that has reawakened my love for the sound. There's no point sticking with something and bitching about it all the time - just go and find something else you enjoy, otherwise your passion will become moaning.

crime
20-04-2005, 12:57 PM
there were a lot less producers back then, you have the same producers in existance now, plus the people that copied them, plus other new people who have done good new interesting stuff who got lost in all the plagurism.. it is fact that there are more labels and more people producing records than ever with less and less people to buy them..
another thing I might add, is any music sounds great if your out of your head on e, how many people here are truely listening subjectively (just a question mind)
Don't get me wrong, I do hear stuff sometimes these days that turns my head, but it's a lot more few and far between now for me personally... I'm happy with my own music and other good stuff I hear, just sick of having to wade through half baked dross...

crime
20-04-2005, 01:00 PM
As far as techno itself goes, most people get bored of their passion at some point in their life. I don't believe it's better or worse than what was there before, and I've heard a fair bit of pre 96 stuff. It's easy to look back and think how great it all was then, but there was probably just as much tat coming out in those days as there is now. Certainly everything seems more innovative when you first get into techno, because you've never heard anything like it. Then as you hear more and more you realise that not every track is a groundbreaker.

Yeah, the point about losing passion is true, but I really don't think there's as much groundbreaking stuff coming now..
when was the last time we had an album like Beltram's "Places", Vogel's "Absolute time" or The Advent's "Elements of life"? not for a long time methinks

robin m
20-04-2005, 01:35 PM
But I'm not a cynic, so I won't say anything. :)
...yep, you sure are known for your quiet retiring nature! :lol:

I only pretty recently 'got into' techno as opposed to bouncing round as just another munted punter, and it seems to me that if you love a particular form of music enough to get into it in a big way you're always going to have a rose tinted view of that sound at that point in time...

In 5 years time or whatever that sound will doubtless have changed and developed, and the people getting into it then will be just as enthusiastic as you were when you discovered it back in the day... but however good the more recent sound is it'll never be as exciting and new and inspiring for you who's been in the scene watching it develop as it is to someone who's new to it all.

Basically things always seem better when you're new to them (apart from sex and morris dancing maybe!) ;)

Paul Zykotik
20-04-2005, 01:41 PM
there were a lot less producers back then, you have the same producers in existance now, plus the people that copied them, plus other new people who have done good new interesting stuff who got lost in all the plagurism.. it is fact that there are more labels and more people producing records than ever with less and less people to buy them..

another thing I might add, is any music sounds great if your out of your head on e, how many people here are truely listening subjectively (just a question mind)

I think the majority of people on here are those who love the music whether it's in the club or not. That means they'll listen to it just as much, if not more, while straight than while off their trolley. I agree there is a great deal of monotonous rubbish out there, but I also believe that something doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be a damn good record.

I would also dispute that anything sounds good while you're out of it, but that's by the by ;)

Don't get me wrong, I do hear stuff sometimes these days that turns my head, but it's a lot more few and far between now for me personally... I'm happy with my own music and other good stuff I hear, just sick of having to wade through half baked dross...

Does something have to be innovative for you to enjoy it?

schlongfingers
20-04-2005, 02:05 PM
if you had eggs for breakfast every morning would you get bored?

Paul Zykotik
20-04-2005, 02:16 PM
if you had eggs for breakfast every morning would you get bored?

I meant it as a personal question.

The simple thing to do would be to not have eggs every morning, even if they're what's most readily available. Search for that bit of bacon or some pancakes, just don't write off eggs entirely ;)

crime
20-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Ok, something doesn't have to be neccesarily "innovative" for me to enjoy it, just interesting, i.e. of interest to me,I mean I like chicago stuff on a "party" tip, that's not neccesarily innovative, just not so predictable, and I find so much music these days is so predictable.. I mean I got an e-mail the other day from some guy who was asking me why I didn't arrange my tunes with the changes on the 16th, 32nd or 64th bars, and how he had trouble mixing them, and for me I just though "learnt to dj properly" and this is the problem at the moment.. really predictable stuff sells because it's easy to mix, therefore anyone can sound good as a dj (in a technical sensse of being able to beatmatch, which isn't really any great shakes, and this is not my personal train of thought by the way), and I'm sure there are people around who buy records purely on the "mixability" and whether it sounds "Pumping" on a rig, rather than if it is actually an interesting tune, this has had the knock on effect that stuff that strays from the"Techno" norm doesn't sell as well as the billion loop tunes that are all very easy to mix together but arn't saying much, and we end up where nothing stands out..
well, this is a personal theory, I mean each to their own, if people are happy with that , fair enough, if they're getting enjoyment, but I do feel there was a higher percentage of interesting records coming out 9 or 10 years ago compared to now...

crime
20-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I would also dispute that anything sounds good while you're out of it, but that's by the by ;)

well, not anything, but I do know from personal experience on nights out a while ago it's easier to get into shit music just on a level of having a good night out if you're not digging the music if you've had a pill, you can't deny that..

Mirsha
20-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah definately, I've been out a few times to nights that have musicaly wise not been the best but once you get some chemcials down you you can just stop not enjoying it and just get into it. There has only been a few instances of me not enjoying the music enough to get into it even whilst getting rubbered and ending up just bouncing about people chatting with them all night instead.

Paul Zykotik
20-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Ok, something doesn't have to be neccesarily "innovative" for me to enjoy it, just interesting, i.e. of interest to me,I mean I like chicago stuff on a "party" tip, that's not neccesarily innovative, just not so predictable, and I find so much music these days is so predictable.. I mean I got an e-mail the other day from some guy who was asking me why I didn't arrange my tunes with the changes on the 16th, 32nd or 64th bars, and how he had trouble mixing them, and for me I just though "learnt to dj properly" and this is the problem at the moment.. really predictable stuff sells because it's easy to mix, therefore anyone can sound good as a dj (in a technical sensse of being able to beatmatch, which isn't really any great shakes, and this is not my personal train of thought by the way), and I'm sure there are people around who buy records purely on the "mixability" and whether it sounds "Pumping" on a rig, rather than if it is actually an interesting tune, this has had the knock on effect that stuff that strays from the"Techno" norm doesn't sell as well as the billion loop tunes that are all very easy to mix together but arn't saying much, and we end up where nothing stands out..
well, this is a personal theory, I mean each to their own, if people are happy with that , fair enough, if they're getting enjoyment, but I do feel there was a higher percentage of interesting records coming out 9 or 10 years ago compared to now...

Okay, cheers for the response :) I agree there's a great deal of predictable music out there, and I also agree that something has to be interesting to grab my attention. Certainly I don't have time for the looped stuff to the same degree that I used to.

As for the sweets, no denying that either. They can make mediocre music sound very good indeed.

TechMouse
20-04-2005, 04:07 PM
apart from sex and morris dancing maybe! ;)
Or both at the same time... http://www.nuskoolbreaks.co.uk/images/smiles/new-bo.gif

OriginalTechnobastard
20-04-2005, 04:59 PM

list please

tocsin
20-04-2005, 05:02 PM

Just a quick question. Is there any chance that those tracks sound "better" or still "kick a dance floor" because they are attached and related to good memories of your's?

Internal Error Records
20-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Just a quick question. Is there any chance that those tracks sound "better" or still "kick a dance floor" because they are attached and related to good memories of your's?

excellent question. any cynics should ask themselves that. :clap:

crime
20-04-2005, 05:36 PM

I'm with Schlongfingers on this, no it's not neccesarily the case, I've been viewing the scene from a fairly objective viewpoint for the past 10 years (i.e. being a DJ for pretty much all that time, 7 years producing, and pretty much all the time not really doing any drugs apart from smoking and drinking a bit), and I would say that there was a higher rate of decent tracks back then, right now the market is flooded with toss..
and original techno bastard, I see you really are the "original techno bastard" asking for a list.. a list of what, what was really kicking it between 1990 and 1998? (I would say that's fair as '98 was the year I got right into producing as I remember there not really being that many good records about, which is WHY I started producing)

LFO - LFO
F.U.S.E. - Substance Abuse - Plus 8
Mike Ink - Live Evil pt 1 and 2 - Force inc
Mike dearborn on djax along with a lot of other acid and chicago stuff on Djax-up-beats, boo williams - seek and destroy was a particular fave
Mike McCoy on JJ
Drax - Amphetamine - trope
Death - High cost of living - trope
all the early robert armani on ACV
DBX - losing control, live wire and many others
Luke Slater on Djax and peacefrog
Neil Landstrumm on Peacefrog (Brown by august, index man, inhabit the machines)
Funk D'Void -Jack Me off (Soma)
Relief records esp. paul johnson
1st & 2nd plastikman albums
UR
A lot of stuff on Magnetic North esp. Fly By wire- last voyage and Cristian
Vogel Infra e.p.
vogel on force inc
All the early advent records until internal went under (Elements of life etc)
the first 5 or 6 blueprint records
the first 5 or 6 downward records
a lot of the early surgeon stuff, esp Muggerscom out and Pagga from the Underground UK compilation
richard benson on force inc
Spira
Coldust esp. stuff on syncopate labe & all the mark bell, h and other stuff on syncopate
majority of what came out on mosquito, Sativae, Drought and scandinavia
Joey Beltram - Places LP (Tresor and all the remix singles from that album that came at that time)
Subhead
Black nation, all the early jay denham
Early D Knox
Every vogel album on tresor
every tobias schmidt album on tresor..
Space DJz, AK47 remixes
McCormack's remix of bissmire's number and measure

I could probably name more if I sat down and thought about it, I mean this is what personally did it for me over this time, I'm still playing a lot of this stuff now, and I'm pretty much playing out every other weekend.. y'know, stuff like Beltram's places and the early advent stuff, you just don't get stuff of that calibre very often any more, I mean you can argue the toss that it wasn't better if you like, but for me personally it was, there were more records to buy than I had money for, sadly, for me personally it isn't like that any more.. this is what drives me to make music myself...

TechMouse
20-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I've been viewing the scene from a fairly objective viewpoint for the past 10 years
DJ / Producer / Promoter / Label Owner, and (at some point, I assume) punter?
Yes, you're right, a very objective position to be in...

IMHO you can't be objective is anything like music / art / film / literature, mainly because taste and opinion - both subjective - preside for lack of any quantifiable qualitative assesment.

dirty_bass
20-04-2005, 05:51 PM
You old gits.
nostalgia trips.
There`s still been good stuff coming out since 98
just you had to dig a bit deeper, cos there was more stuff coming out.

crime
20-04-2005, 06:08 PM
well, yeah, maybe your right, maybe it's impossible to be objective about this, we all have our experiences, but I'm not denying there is good stuff coming out now, there isn't the same percentage of good stuff to bad stuff, there is more bad stuff than good stuff IMHO.. I mean we can argue this for the next year if you like (i'd rather not), you might like more of what's going on now, but for me, it's rarer I get really impressed by stuff.. I still do luckily sometimes, but maybe it's because I've been into it for so long...

tocsin
20-04-2005, 07:19 PM
When I'm actually in a place that still stocks the styles of music I like, I've not noticed any difference in percentage of crap to quality. 10 years ago, there was just as much crap coming out. And, as it should be, that crap got forgotten. But, it's unhealthy to look back ten years ago and claim that better music was coming out then in a better ratio compared to the bad. And, what I find really funny was, in 1995 when I started screwing around with turntables, the older DJs that I knew were saying the same damn thing that some are now. Go figure.

SlavikSvensk
20-04-2005, 07:36 PM
i'm with crime and schlongfingers as well...but i also agree with DB somewhat. there HAS been some good music since 1998, but i think overwhelmingly, techno has grown more rigid, less innovative, less excited, and more predictable.

is that a surprise? no. it happens in almost every facet of human life. something appears, it's groundbreaking, it later becomes institutionalized, and consequently regresses to the mean.

let's face it...there's great techno around, but little of it changes the way we think of music, they way a lot of the older stuff did.

MangaFish
20-04-2005, 08:54 PM

actually - i totally agree with you on this one. i hate predictable DJ friendly tracks.

while some records infurate me because i can mix them for shit, i still love the record.

MangaFish
20-04-2005, 09:01 PM
i'm with crime and schlongfingers as well...but i also agree with DB somewhat. there HAS been some good music since 1998, but i think overwhelmingly, techno has grown more rigid, less innovative, less excited, and more predictable.

is that a surprise? no. it happens in almost every facet of human life. something appears, it's groundbreaking, it later becomes institutionalized, and consequently regresses to the mean.

let's face it...there's great techno around, but little of it changes the way we think of music, they way a lot of the older stuff did.

isnt that our own fault for becoming nit-picking chin strokers?
its soo hard to be creative, innotive and still produce a technically spot on tune with no reverse polarities in the frequencey modulating spunk or whatever you smart gits rattle on about in the production forum.

yes i asspire to be as know-it-all as some of you guys, but i also find that with every day that i learn a new law of producing, that day i also loose a bit of freedom :neutral:

Internal Error Records
20-04-2005, 11:00 PM
once again, sounds like some people have been around too long for there own good.

here is a brain-scratcher for you - this weekend will be somebodies first rave, and it will be the begining of their 'old school days' and in the year 2010 that person will be jaded and goign around saying "the music just isnt as good as it was in 2005"

everyone who thinks things are worse than it used to be just needs to worry less and party more.

crime
21-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Bottom line is, it's well over 10 years since acid house hit, and, as with any movement, it tails off with time, and it's not going to be as exciting as when it was only 5 or 6 years old.. the whole thing is like 17 years old now, it's not suprising it's not as exciting, it's just a fact of life.. I'm sure punk wasn't very exciting by the time 1993 came round ( by which point it would have been 17 years old). there was still good hardcore and punk coming out (I have an interest in this scene btw), but it didn't have the momentum of the original movement....

crime
21-04-2005, 12:33 AM
everyone who thinks things are worse than it used to be just needs to worry less and party more.
That is a total stick your head in the sand and ignore what is really going on comment.,.
sorry but it is..

Internal Error Records
21-04-2005, 12:49 AM
That is a total stick your head in the sand and ignore what is really going on comment.,.
sorry but it is..

ummm no it isnt. how can you critize advice to go have a good time?

the fact is, if you worry about techno, then you aren't living by its most basic principle of saying "f-it" and going out and having fun.

TOM GALLOP[
21-04-2005, 01:15 AM
Back when it all started, and smarties were 15 quid a pop, I for one and many of my pals wondered how long the scene would last. 16 years on it is clear to me that techno has survived because of its clear and rigid musical structure. It is a contemporary urban, industrial and minimalist music which continues to speak to many on a deep and some might say meditative level.
I love techno cos it fukin rocks. There are still loads of brilliant producers..new and old.

If it still rocks your boat.. groove on baby.

N.B.
Congratulations to Acidtrash on his wicked new album. Ur wot its all about mate.

crime
21-04-2005, 01:18 AM
ummm no it isnt. how can you critize advice to go have a good time?

the fact is, if you worry about techno, then you aren't living by its most basic principle of saying "f-it" and going out and having fun.

you said worry less and party more, problems don't get solved by partying, records don't get made by partying, labels don't get run by partying.. while you are all partying there are other people doing hard work so you can party.. ok party if you want to, but don't tell me that "Partying" is the answer because that's just plain ignorant...

crime
21-04-2005, 01:21 AM
and to me it aint about saying **** it.. if you're saying **** it you're not concentrating on what your doing, and I like to concentrate, sorry if that sounds a bit serious but if there wern't people being serious you wouldn't have any parties to go to as they would never get organised as everyone would be saying "**** it, party, it will sort itself out" it don't work like that....

Internal Error Records
21-04-2005, 01:28 AM
Crime. What problems need to be focused on? There are no problems!

Internal Error Records
21-04-2005, 01:33 AM
ok, every one pitch down to about -4 right now. ;)

i could qualify as one of the most anal retentive label owners of all time. but there is no need for unhealthy worrying. (sorry Crime, you are clear over into unhealthy worrying)

no its not about dangerously throwing caution to the wind and letting everything fall to shit.

but just cause you bound up, cletched rectum and teary eyed, doesnt mean you are helping out.

didnt your parents ever tell you, if you dont enjoy it, dont do it?

MARKEG
21-04-2005, 01:37 AM
arrghhhh internal why did you reply. hahaha grrrr... just deleted my posts cause i didn't read the rest before hand. :doh: hope you don'tmind there,i think you were the only one that saw them...

sorry man.. anyway, chiil out ppl!!!!

tocsin
21-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Bottom line is, it's well over 10 years since acid house hit, and, as with any movement, it tails off with time, and it's not going to be as exciting as when it was only 5 or 6 years old.. the whole thing is like 17 years old now, it's not suprising it's not as exciting, it's just a fact of life.. I'm sure punk wasn't very exciting by the time 1993 came round ( by which point it would have been 17 years old). there was still good hardcore and punk coming out (I have an interest in this scene btw), but it didn't have the momentum of the original movement....

This is why I asked the nostalgia questions. It's also where Int. Error's point comes in. Personally, just from what I've experienced. I don't think the music is any "worse" than it was 10 years ago. I went through a phase when I thought the opposite, but, that also happened to coincide with a point in time where the stores I used to buy all my records from just stopped stocking what I liked. Thanks to a friend at a distro house who let me shop there, I was able to figure out that it wasn't the music that went to shit but, rather, the stores I used to shop at went to shit. Now, add on to that the fact that when I usually go out to party, no, it doesn't hit me the same as it did 10 years ago. And while it may be different your way, I think it has to do with the fact that people in my area neglect everything outside of the sound. It's rare when somebody puts an effort into changing a venue into a different environment with deocrations, lights, and visuals. Yeah, there are some megaclubs that do it but it is the same set up every time. I can listen to my old tracks and, if I'm able to remove my nostalgia from them, I don't hear much of a difference between what's coming out now. What made them memorable, and more fun, was that the atmosphere where I heard the music played was generally an all around feast for the senses. My memory can connect a lot of music with those experiences. Nowadays, with the new music, I can pretty much connect a memory, if I'm lucky enough to have one, with a moderately fun night in a bar with a decent sound set up. It's not the music that needs to be fixed. There has always been more crap music than good music. If you're finding it so dead, perhaps what needs to be fixed is the environment where you hear the music. And, as Internal Error put it, if you focussed more on partying than worrying about the sound, maybe that would change?

crime
21-04-2005, 02:00 AM
I wasn't getting stressed mark, I just thought it was a bit of a ridiculous thing to say "chill out and party", yeah right...that's going to really get my next releases done eh?

tocsin
21-04-2005, 02:59 AM
I wasn't getting stressed mark, I just thought it was a bit of a ridiculous thing to say "chill out and party", yeah right...that's going to really get my next releases done eh?

You might find that it will. My inspiration for techno music, in the end, has always been a dance floor (which may seem ridiculous considering what's been put out with my involvment). I have not been to a party which got me excited enough to really dance, or excited to the point where I'd remember it more than a couple days later, in quite some time. And, not so surprisingly, I've been in a major dry spell for techno composition.

crime
21-04-2005, 07:58 AM
I see your point, but it was yet again a prozac nation kind of comment...
anyway, I have better things to do than sit around here and be told how to suck eggs, so I think I'll be leaving it TBH....

dirty_bass
21-04-2005, 10:47 AM

You might find that it will. My inspiration for techno music, in the end, has always been a dance floor (which may seem ridiculous considering what's been put out with my involvment). I have not been to a party which got me excited enough to really dance, or excited to the point where I'd remember it more than a couple days later, in quite some time. And, not so surprisingly, I've been in a major dry spell for techno composition.

true dat, there`s nothing like the sounds you make up in your head whilst lost in the heat of a good banging techno club.
I do get a lot of inspiration from partying. Especially a nice warehouse party, when you get really wierd reverbs and stuff, and you make up melodies that just aren`t there in the tunes.

fresh_an_funky_design
21-04-2005, 11:07 AM
yeah its mad the little rythymns you get in your head when your dancing to techno. your head sort of make's up this groove to suit you. which i've never really got with any sort other sort of music

OriginalTechnobastard
21-04-2005, 11:13 AM
Again old school fellas claiming its not the same. If you say 60-80% of the tracks were banging, I have hard time believing it. Maybe the 60-80% you bought that you were into did but overall scene? Come on! I say my French Techno has 95 percent hit rate but that doesn't mean the whole Techno scene does. Some of that loopy stuff brings it right down :lol: Its better then it has ever been and it started with Dima's first ep '96 ;)

crime
22-04-2005, 12:00 AM
Again old school fellas claiming its not the same. If you say 60-80% of the tracks were banging, I have hard time believing it. Maybe the 60-80% you bought that you were into did but overall scene? Come on! I say my French Techno has 95 percent hit rate but that doesn't mean the whole Techno scene does. Some of that loopy stuff brings it right down :lol: Its better then it has ever been and it started with Dima's first ep '96 ;)

So red is definitely better than green then, it's been proved eh?

TechMouse
22-04-2005, 11:09 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/images/tv_radio/rsc_300x193.jpg
:?:

Mindful
22-04-2005, 10:56 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/images/tv_radio/rsc_300x193.jpg
:?:
:lol:

slavestudios
23-04-2005, 12:24 PM
techno music - love it

techno industry/scene - i left it

good luck. jus enjoy what ya like & ignore all the highbrow arseholes ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==