View Full Version : Dirty Bass - Dark City

dirty_bass
19-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Something for myself this time.
Hard, but commercial too.

http://www.iterativemusic.com/~dirtybass/Dirty%20Bass%20-%20Dark%20City.mp3

xfive
19-04-2005, 03:58 PM
Ah yes the edits definetly wound the whole thing together.. ;)
Did you slide the bassline around at all? My headphones are being weak bitches :(
All I can hear is the kick+bass

audioinjection
19-04-2005, 04:30 PM
P.H.A.T.

nice work steve, massive low end on that kick and i like how the ride crunches in the background, also the little edits on those vocals are dope

i also like that ambience the track has as well.......but i think the vocals might be a little low in the mix?

stjohn
19-04-2005, 04:32 PM
nice tune, not my cup of vodka but great work on the vocals, did u chop them yourself, individually?

BRADLEE
19-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Yeah I like this quite a bit. Aren't these vocals from Chemical Brothers or something in that ERA??? Sounds really cool though man. I'd rock it for sure.

Jimfish
19-04-2005, 06:35 PM
i do like the rest of the track once its in full swing but i have to say im not massive on the overlaid goldie stuff.

nice stabs and stuff too :)

Mirsha
19-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Sounds quite slinky to me, the vocal does work regardless of it's relatively low volume, it sort of slides about just under the radar quite nicely.

eyes without a face
19-04-2005, 07:11 PM
enjoyed most of the track, but the vocal didnt lie well with me i have to say

those stabs are cool tho as jim said, very nice

Stella Boy
19-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Haven't a clue about production and what's right or wrong but I can say it's got a very distinctive prog feel to it. Not sure about the vocal running through the whole track though, seems very seb mundane-ish imo :neutral:

StoQ
20-04-2005, 11:12 PM
everything is already said. I like this shit a lot especially the banging kick-bass line ;] nice work m8

Evil G
21-04-2005, 12:12 AM
this really messes with my head. mr. progress samples a 10 year old track? ;)

nonetheless, i like it. i really like the way the kick is so dirty and hard, yet manages to fit in with the smooth feel of the rest of the track. defo one of those tracks that would put both prog and techo heads on the floor.

dirty_bass
21-04-2005, 12:58 AM
this isn`t my voidloss stuff, so it`s just fun, big room techno.
I`m showcasing a lot of new talent on the label from now on, so I`m gonna be doing credible (in my eyes) big room stuff for the label, to get the label exposure, and put more eyes on the other artists on the label.

My more cerebral efforts are going into the Voidloss stuff.

Evil G
21-04-2005, 01:50 AM
who's the man with the master plan? :lol: (couldn't resist)

neilried
23-04-2005, 02:42 PM
g'wan fella, nother quality effort!!!!
:lol:

MITA
27-04-2005, 02:19 PM
heard this one mate...
quite catchy tune,nice and kiking!

love the disto rides !!

although words like this dont work for me,a great job again dirty!

:clap:

MITA

BloodStar
28-04-2005, 10:35 AM
quite nice track, but not doing it to me,, don't know why.. i like the stabs, these are perfect and they make the track sound complete, when they're in... i'm not too keen on that dist downbeat hit and i think hats are too loud in some parts., just my opinion.. other than that,,quite nice ideas in the track and really very good production as always.. cheers

dirty_bass
28-04-2005, 10:40 AM
I`ve remixed and finalised this, but it`s getting released, so I won`t be reposting.

RDR
28-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah I like this quite a bit. Aren't these vocals from Chemical Brothers or something in that ERA??? Sounds really cool though man. I'd rock it for sure.

Vocals are from goldies "timeless" i think???

Evil G
28-04-2005, 02:42 PM
inner city life

RDR
28-04-2005, 03:15 PM
inner city life

:doh:

shudda known that, heard it enough times :oops:

TOM GALLOP[
10-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Nice 1. Enjoying it mate. Like the keys in 2nd half particularly. Maybe I would use less vocal in some sects but is being picky really. Good stuff..
May ask your opinion on some of my new shit soon if thats ok.
:cool:

dirty_bass
10-05-2005, 06:00 PM
that`s cool mate.
I`m bluntly honest, but I won`t give you no bullshit.

conflict
10-05-2005, 07:24 PM
the productions good but i just dont think the vocals fit with the track,they're just too contrasting.

dirty_bass
10-05-2005, 07:40 PM
yeah, they have been reduced considerably since this version

acidsaturation
12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
That wierd shit with the vocals kind of reminds me of a bad trip! (in a good way...) Not soo much my kind of techno, but I couldn't fault it - but then I think much of your work's past faulting! It is nice and catchy and could bring a bit if a cheeky eliment to a tchno set, or a touch of darkness into a housey set...

...it's growing on me as I write this!

acidsaturation
12-05-2005, 11:37 AM
That wierd shit with the vocals kind of reminds me of a bad trip! (in a good way...) Not soo much my kind of techno, but I couldn't fault it - but then I think much of your work's past faulting! It is nice and catchy and could bring a bit if a cheeky eliment to a tchno set, or a touch of darkness into a housey set...

dirty_bass
12-05-2005, 03:07 PM

Cheers mate, yeah, it`s not full on underground techno, I`ll admit that.
It`s one to get the ladies dancing, and I prefer to have ladies dancing to my music anyway. Plus I like a bit of commercial mixed with my underground too.

As for my work being past faulting.
No way.
I still hate everything I make, and still think everything needs improvement.
I don`t think I`ll ever be happy.

violenski
12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
really like it nice buffering on that vocal (at least i think it is) nice hi end and the stabs pull it through well. like the edits very clean the whole thing is really good nice one>>!!!¬¬¬¬!!!

acidsaturation
12-05-2005, 05:41 PM
No way.

In a way that's quite encouraging - in the sense that the author of stuff that is of the quaility of some what you produce is still self-critical - Kind of a lesson against self criticism becoming defeating.

Some of your tunes I heard on here are among those I download of this board that encourage me to sharpen my production skills, put it that way!

loopdon
12-05-2005, 06:41 PM

Cheers mate, yeah, it`s not full on underground techno, I`ll admit that.
It`s one to get the ladies dancing, and I prefer to have ladies dancing to my music anyway. Plus I like a bit of commercial mixed with my underground too.

No way.

pumpinglemma
04-06-2005, 02:10 AM

The vocals are from inner city life - goldie, yeah?
But anyway, the track is cool, like the percussion and filtered stabs. Dont really like the vocal. But for me a version without the vocal would be perfect. Nice work ;)

BRADLEE
04-06-2005, 02:21 AM
Who's goldie :lol:

Just kidding :eh:

TOM GALLOP[
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Listening again..still sounds cool. Thanks for your comments you passed to Anna on my stuff by the way. Will bear them in mind when we remix.

All the best m8. :)

AcidTrash
24-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Hate the vocals but really like the tune. Production is awesome.

Mindful
24-06-2005, 06:14 PM
thats a wicked track
I like the vocal :wicked:

dan the acid man
30-06-2005, 12:54 AM
oooh, i like this, i could see this working on the dancefloors, especially as you say with the ladies.

when the stabs kick in its great, it carries on that old school feel but its subtle at the same time.
All the edits add something, they're not just there for the sake of it.

This would work in any set if you ask me, it just add a bit of fun and light edged funk but its still got a dark feel about it too

The Overfiend
30-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Emotional Tough and mood driven
Great to be the first Steve track I've heard in a while.
I will return soon!

278d7e64a374de26f==