PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ableton question

Slacky
22-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Ive just started messing about with Ableton live and although it seems pretty damn cool for totally live sets, I want to know if I'll be able to assign the BPM to a fader on an external midi controller allowing me to beat match with it, as I would when Turntable \ CD mixing....

Ive got no experience with external midi controllers, or Abelton to be honest so any help is appreciated before I blow mymoney on someting that doesnt do the trick.....

Oh and any recommendation for a good midi controller is welcome. Ive been reading up about the Fader Fix LV1 and it looks cool but the "Cannot assign pots..." warning in the instruction manual raises questions..

Thanks!

TechMouse
22-04-2005, 05:04 PM
I want to know if I'll be able to assign the BPM to a fader on an external midi controller allowing me to beat match with it, as I would when Turntable \ CD mixing....
This is what we do.

We use a Kenton Control Freak, and it works perfectly - for want of a "nudge" feature.

Bear in mind that you're going to want to send out a RANGE of BPMs (e.g. 120 -> 160) rather than a full spectrum from 0 to 300 or whatever - as otherwise you'll get piss-poor resolution, and the smallest of changes on the fader will mean 10 or 20 BPM speed wise.

Slacky
22-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Nice one - I'll check it out....

Komplex
23-04-2005, 01:03 AM
doesn't matter what controller you use (or its range), you can set the tempo range within Ableton by going into that other mode (not session) and setting it down the bottom. Then you pop back into session mode and the tempo range will be within whatever you set in the other mode.

I can't be more specific because it's not infront of me right now but I'm sure you can work it out, its there.

Komplex
23-04-2005, 01:05 AM
and if you assign the tempo to a fader, it'll work just like on a technics tt except reversed (unless you do some midi trickery or turn your controller 180 degrees)

djshiva
23-04-2005, 08:03 PM
go here: http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33310

for an example of ableton used as a dj tool and playing along with turntables. it's fairly easy to do actually. adam jay just sets his pitch control up on a fader within a smaller range so that he's not trying to go all 0-99.

:)

Slacky
25-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Good stuff sounds exactly what I was after.

Now Ive just got to find a decent midi controller. Not too sure about the Fader Fox ones though. It says you cant assign the pots / faders which seems daft, anyone got one to verify?

I'll be emailing them to ask a few questions before I buy one.

TechMouse
25-04-2005, 11:46 AM

Now Ive just got to find a decent midi controller. Not too sure about the Fader Fox ones though. It says you cant assign the pots / faders which seems daft, anyone got one to verify?

Make sure you get a controller which is totally programmable.

e.g. some just let you assign a fader / pot to a certain MIDI controller number - which is fine, until you start using non-standard hardware which relies on SysEx data to do stuff.

The Kenton one lets you program faders to perform very complex actions - though I'm sure there are other models which also do this. It's worth finding out though.

25-04-2005, 01:58 PM

Korg Microkontrol - its a bad as mofo !

ampassasinbirmingham
25-04-2005, 02:22 PM
karl loves his. not massive on them myself. the build quality is excellent tho.

TechMouse
25-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I like the look of this one.

Mainly because it gives you a bit of everything - keyboard, sliders AND knobs.

Two minor issues:

1. Small keys - be wary if you have chubby fingers. There is a full-sized key version too: http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=KONTROL49&category_id=1

2. Not sure if the sliders / knobs are fully programmable, i.e. can send SysEx etc.

Past that, everyone seems to love these!

lau
25-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Just bought one of those.... love it... got loads of possibilities...

Gotta love the lights on it.. :love:

davethedrummer
28-04-2005, 07:00 PM
i've been using ableton djing with vinyl too and to be honest all you really need is to assign the tempo to the up / down keys on the laptop keyboard, i find that's enough , as they are pretty responsive and you can just nudge the tempo up and down by 1 bpm till you get the vinyl pitched up right alongside it .
just dj the vinyl to the ableton tempo, and not the other way around and you'll be fine.
a bpm counter on the mixer really helps to get started though.

davethedrummer
28-04-2005, 07:01 PM
i've been using ableton djing with vinyl too and to be honest all you really need is to assign the tempo to the up / down keys on the laptop keyboard, i find that's enough , as they are pretty responsive and you can just nudge the tempo up and down by 1 bpm till you get the vinyl pitched up right alongside it .
just dj the vinyl to the ableton tempo, and not the other way around and you'll be fine.
a bpm counter on the mixer really helps to get started though.

TechMouse
29-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Not quite so easy when there's two of you - one on vinyl and the other on Ableton.

You need both sides to be as flexible as each other.

djshiva
30-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Not quite so easy when there's two of you - one on vinyl and the other on Ableton.

You need both sides to be as flexible as each other.

i think in that case it comes down to trust. if you know the person you're playing with, then you trust they're on top of shit. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==