PDA

View Full Version : electro production

mattboyslim
25-04-2005, 03:15 PM
i've been knocking together a few electro projects recently. got stuck in a rut though and was wondering if theres any electro producers out there who can share a bit of info about direction.

detfella
25-04-2005, 03:36 PM
sample some herbie :lol:

Komplex
26-04-2005, 02:03 AM
learn to play the keyboard (if you don't know already)

machina
26-04-2005, 06:05 AM
it depends what you mean by electro - if you 'proper' electro i.e. breakbeaty, old-school sounding, direct beat/detroit breakdancey stuff - try using very low bit rates for everything...

if you're talking about the new-school gigolo/european electro which actually isn't really even close to electro at all - i.e. the hacker, vitalic, david carretta etc... just work on layering. and then arpeggiate EVERYTHING.

machina

Jay Pace
26-04-2005, 12:54 PM
Radioactive man.

Brilliant.

Evil G
26-04-2005, 01:20 PM
if you're talking about the new-school gigolo/european electro which actually isn't really even close to electro at all...

hahaha. word up. not to say i don't like the new stuff, but the first time somebody said, "hey let me play you this new electro record," and put on a 4/4 track with a huge bassline i laughed at him and told him it wasn't electro. it's really changed a lot since the "space breaks" era. :lol:

audioinjection
27-04-2005, 04:26 PM
use the arpegiator :lol:

TechMouse
28-04-2005, 11:25 AM
Radioactive man.

Brilliant.

2 Lone Swordsmen, while we're on a Keith Tenniswood tip.

:clap:

Tony
29-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Radioactive man.

Brilliant.

2 Lone Swordsmen, while we're on a Keith Tenniswood tip.

:clap:

sorry guys for electro keiths stuff is very very simplistic.
in the true essence of electro, being 808s and vocoders, he does just use a few electribes on some tunes and its painfully obvious, but there is such better stuff out there.

best to go for lots of granular and dsp noises, bit crush and edit. its the way forward

8bitapocalypse
29-04-2005, 06:17 PM
best to go for lots of granular and dsp noises, bit crush and edit. its the way forward

http://www.spacebarsentiments.com

crbn
30-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I take it you mean Nuskool and not 1984 style breakdance stuff >>

FX wise go for delays not reverbs, experiment with heavy choruses and phasers, synth sounds generally need to be very well designed mainly use saw waves, use arps and note retrigger functions but play your main melodies - most electro is pretty musical even if its just some drums and a bassline. Use 606 for drexciyan / ecto / doppler style mininal electro or 808 for miami style dynamix stuff.

crbn
30-04-2005, 08:04 AM
i've been knocking together a few electro projects recently. got stuck in a rut though and was wondering if theres any electro producers out there who can share a bit of info about direction.

Ooops I misread the thread > theres a number of styles out there that you could try.

1. Classic nuschool (Drexciya, Ectomorth, Doppler Effect and all the people who emulate them) - 606 and dry synthesizers
2. Miami Techno Bass (Dynamix II, Bass Junkie, Volsoc) - 808, vocoders and growling, spitting synths
3. Chip music style (C64 style bit crusher) - SID chips, speech synthesizers and lo-fi drums
4. Electro breaks (Breakbeat with elements of electro brought in, Electro incorporating elements of Grime or Dubstep) - processed breaks and reese basses with a few thips and zaps
5. Booty Bass (electro rhythms but not much electronics) - 808, cheap sampler and dirty vox
6. and of course theres the Gigolo italodisco style stuff (file under not really electro) - rolling arps and crispy drums, 80s influenced vocals

Basically you draw your influences from what you like and incorporate it into your style of music. So find your own direction!

sash
01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
big reverb on an 808 snare :)

OriginalTechnobastard
02-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Ooops I misread the thread > theres a number of styles out there that you could try.

1. Classic nuschool (Drexciya, Ectomorth, Doppler Effect and all the people who emulate them) - 606 and dry synthesizers
2. Miami Techno Bass (Dynamix II, Bass Junkie, Volsoc) - 808, vocoders and growling, spitting synths
3. Chip music style (C64 style bit crusher) - SID chips, speech synthesizers and lo-fi drums
4. Electro breaks (Breakbeat with elements of electro brought in, Electro incorporating elements of Grime or Dubstep) - processed breaks and reese basses with a few thips and zaps
5. Booty Bass (electro rhythms but not much electronics) - 808, cheap sampler and dirty vox
6. and of course theres the Gigolo italodisco style stuff (file under not really electro) - rolling arps and crispy drums, 80s influenced vocals

Basically you draw your influences from what you like and incorporate it into your style of music. So find your own direction!

wtf is arp?

Jay Pace
02-05-2005, 01:10 PM
arpeggios

278d7e64a374de26f==