PDA

View Full Version : Can they read music

OriginalTechnobastard
27-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Artist in techno. Does it matter?

mrbenn
27-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I expect some can, probabbly those doing more melodic techno ie Joris Voorn or claude young. I expect some of the electro producers also have had some background musical training.

OriginalTechnobastard
27-04-2005, 10:54 AM
I expect some can, probabbly those doing more melodic techno ie Joris Voorn or claude young. I expect some of the electro producers also have had some background musical training.
I bet Vitalic can. So can Caretta. So can hacker. So can Ferox. (Ferox was a bassist in a band n so was the hacker)Most French dudes can :cool: You can tell. Just check their solo (V's 1 track n caretta's track 7 that turns into a solo) I know thats not everything but...

mrbenn
27-04-2005, 11:02 AM
Most French dudes can

Shame they eat so much smelly cheese :lol: The french do have some seriously talented electronic musicians daft punk for example. They have alot more respect for electronic music than us brits.

FILTERZ
27-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Reading music is easy ......writing it is hard.

OriginalTechnobastard
27-04-2005, 11:54 AM
well that too then

miss bass
27-04-2005, 01:09 PM
it definately helps being able to read music or understand small scales / tricks / chords

miss bass
27-04-2005, 01:11 PM
hmm my avatar is not working, dammn

TechMouse
27-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Ferox was a bassist in a band n so was the hacker
I bet I can find you more bassists that can't read music than can.

I haven't read music since I used to do Violin / Viola / Saxophone at school.

Haven't really needed to.

You can get to grips with musical theory without necessarily being able to read music, IMHO.

Evil G
27-04-2005, 01:55 PM
i can read music and guitar tab, but haven't needed to in ages. if you understand music, you can look at a piano roll screen and it will convey the exact same meaning as the staff would.

dan the acid man
27-04-2005, 03:08 PM
its techno, you dont need to read music, yes i learnt how to read it at college, but i cant say iv'e used that knowledge since, if it sounds good to your ears, then leave it in

audioinjection
27-04-2005, 04:12 PM
i go by ear

Zektor
27-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Not too sure if you really need a musical education to make complexed meldies...

When I listen to Drexciya...or music from the UR camp. I think those guys are more technically trained (equipment ) than musical wise. The way they are using the machines, especially Drexciya, is out of this world!!

I only know that Juan Atkins went to a recording institute.

G-whizz
27-04-2005, 05:22 PM
i go by ear

best way imo !

lau
27-04-2005, 06:32 PM
i go by ear

I'm 100% deaf......

Still got some problems feeling the high tones... :eh:

crime
27-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I think having musical training helps no end, never did any myself, but have many contemporaries who did, and when you see them in the studio, it really shows... Mad Mike from UR records a lot of the synth lines without sequencing i.e. just multitracks playing live, I know a few other people making techno (More on the detroit or minimal angle) who work like this.. don't kid yourself that it doesn't matter, I've found coming from a non musically educated background it really puts you in your place when you work with people who have, there's a lot to be learned from people who were taught at music school, myself, I know I have...

holotropik
27-04-2005, 11:16 PM
used to but not anymore.

better to understand sythesis of waveforms and percussion. its a new language. you gotta be part artist and part scientist - use both sides of the brain.

Joseph Isaac
27-04-2005, 11:37 PM
I know Joel Mull studied music i believe somewhere in Sweden and his music definitely reflects it.

Evil G
27-04-2005, 11:39 PM
ya, it's funny reading boards where more "traditional" music people post. they jump up and down saying that the composer should just worry about composing, the performer performing, the recording/mixing engineer recording and mixing, and the mastering engineer mastering, and that if you try to do more than one of these tasks you are doomed to mediocrity.

and here we are, doing all of those jobs ourselves, and often running labels or promoting shows on top of it.

holotropik
28-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Good point Evil G....very good point indeed.

RDR
28-04-2005, 12:07 PM
i can read up to grade 3.

writing is definately a pain in the bum. all it takes really is a bit of time and effort. there isnt any major secret to it.

RDR
28-04-2005, 12:08 PM
used to but not anymore.

better to understand sythesis of waveforms and percussion. its a new language. you gotta be part artist and part scientist - use both sides of the brain.

100% dem is tru wordz...!

davethedrummer
28-04-2005, 06:49 PM
used to but not anymore.

but yet 100% of dis is tru well bad english innit!

jesus man , play chess , buy a thesaurus , read the encyclopedia brittanica!!!! honestly....sometimes i just don't know...... to be or not to be etc etc etc .......*wanders off to find more coffee*

Mucky Beats
28-04-2005, 06:51 PM
used to but not anymore.

but yet 100% of dis is tru well bad english innit!

jesus man , play chess , buy a thesaurus , read the encyclopedia brittanica!!!! honestly....sometimes i just don't know...... to be or not to be etc etc etc .......*wanders off to find more coffee*

yeh try going to bed :sleeping: lay off the coffee man!!!! :shock:

djshiva
01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
i was trained for years in classical violin, then switched to guitar (some classical; some just plain punk rock), to bass guitar and then to turntables.

i can honestly say that a basic understanding of music theory is a very good thing to have, but a good chunk of my musicmaking now comes from instinct and ear. i AM glad to have that basis in theory tho, expecially when it comes to completely relearning the way i have to write music (i.e. computer progs and shite). if i didn't have that basis i might be way more freaked out by the new instrumentation. this way, i just learn and let my music knowledge and instincts do their thing. :)

sorry if that was rambly...

holotropik
01-05-2005, 07:33 AM
having music theory knowledge is one thing....

being an entertainer is also a valuable asset too. this certainly helps when creating a track as you will have a far better idea of what it takes to get the booty movin'

278d7e64a374de26f==