PDA

View Full Version : ideal setups!

stjohn
28-04-2005, 03:59 PM
what are they? how are they wired? inputs? outputs?
since been employed recently im reading up on hardware, what i need, what i want, where to put it and what'll suit me etc.....

but ive no real idea how an ideal setup should run so im a bit lost. right now ill make loops in reason, sequence in cubase with maybe 8-12 audio tracks, maybe 2-4 send FX tracks, a few inserts, and then a few midi tracks for maybe absynth or reaktor.

usually i will have an idea how a song will sound after messing around in reason, but what about producers starting in cubase (or whatever) from scratch....

would any drum modules u use have multiple out, and therefore cubase would allow the highs to 1 channel, the kik to another etc....

would a synth be able to handle more than 1 patch running and likewise can cubase handle them grand?

is using an external fx panel easy to set up and to add as send/inserts to a bus

i know this is a broad topic, but its something ive been wonderin for a while and ive never really had a chance to see a full setup workin in the flesh.

so what do u have and how do u wire it and how do u find it? :!: [/i]

Mirsha
28-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm still tinkering with an approach which suits me, but currently what I've been doing is using Reason to create all the parts of a tune, all the loops, synth loops and so on then extracting them to a wav and firing them into Ableton Live to do the actual sequencing since thats a much easier approach to me than using Reason's sequencer which I just find highly irritating.

With stuff in Ableton I can then throw an extra level of effects over stuff using Ableton's automation which is much easier to use than anything else and also add in edits and stuff as needed, it's only a single click in Ableton to reverse or chop up loops to mess about with the sound as needed.

I think though in future I'm going to take a slightly different approach to how I do stuffusing these programs by incoporating Rewire to link the two programs. I've already played about with this somewhat and found that programming the Redrum and extracting loops to be used in Ableton is easier than just trying to program the Redrum via Live, but I can see a lot more control can be used with synths through Rewire so I need to sersiouy play about with that at some point, probably sticking my synths into combinators, programming the buttons for what I need then controlling them via Ableton so I can add a bit more variety into my stuff.

nova
28-04-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah drum machines hav outs like that. say the tr909 has a out for kick out for hi hats and so on. ive got a drumstation and on that there is 6 outputs that you can route the saprate sounds thru. and alot of synths these days hav 6 or more outputs to route saprate sounds thru aswell.

messyfuture
28-04-2005, 06:09 PM
if your ever up in belfast pm me and i'll show you round my studio ;)

fresh_an_funky_design
28-04-2005, 08:47 PM
an ideal set-up involve's a mac g5, logic, a 42 channel mackie desk and a room full of hardware instruments and effects. and some AMC monitors. However unless you got a 100 grand + to spend it aint gonna happen!

stjohn
28-04-2005, 10:59 PM
if your ever up in belfast pm me and i'll show you round my studio ;)

thats bang on messy, fair play and dont be surprised if i take u up on it...

maybe next time theres a good gig, i might make the excursion....... ;)

stjohn
28-04-2005, 11:05 PM
an ideal set-up involve's a mac g5, logic, a 42 channel mackie desk and a room full of hardware instruments and effects. and some AMC monitors. However unless you got a 100 grand + to spend it aint gonna happen!

well what good is that to me?? :lol: only buzzin

definatly thinking about a mackie controller....
i was lookin at a laptop with a firewire soundcard and i said **** it why not this...
http://www.dv247.com/invt/21758

plus this,

http://www.dv247.com/invt/22729

:?: :?: :?: :?:

will this do the trick???
i know **** all so correct me if im wrong please

Starfuqer
28-04-2005, 11:11 PM
bitching computer
great monitors
nice comfortable chair
low latency soundcard
dual LCD 21 inch
2 X powercore
2 X UAD-1
VIRUS TI keyboard

and a shit load of software

dirty_bass
29-04-2005, 12:24 AM
A proper hardware set up is way out of most peoples reach.
And cheap hardware just isn`t worth the money (when we are talking about compressors and such)

I would suggest.
A shit hot supercomputer.
A sequencer you are very comfortable with (non are better, it`s a point of preference)
DECENT NEARFIELD MONITORS
Good Chair.
Multi Out Soundcard (or Just low latency, 24/96 or better)
Couple of LCD monitors (17 inch will do)
Powercore
Midi keyboard/controller
Condenser Mic + Pre Amp
Many VSTi`s

fresh_an_funky_design
29-04-2005, 12:50 AM

well what good is that to me?? :lol: only buzzin

definatly thinking about a mackie controller....
i was lookin at a laptop with a firewire soundcard and i said **** it why not this...
http://www.dv247.com/invt/21758

plus this,

http://www.dv247.com/invt/22729

:?: :?: :?: :?:

will this do the trick???
i know **** all so correct me if im wrong please

the onyx desks are really good desks, you can't go wrong with mackie equipment though, not to sure what the firewire bit is though, you'd have to read up on it to find out if it acts as a soundcard or something?

stjohn
29-04-2005, 09:46 AM
powercore eh? this is the 1st time ive heard of it, shows what i know....
so i know that firewire transfer is speedy enough, but if i was to run 2 devices in series, powercore, then an audiointerface, would that run grand???

FILTERZ
29-04-2005, 10:46 AM

i want better than a mackie for 100 grand .We are talking neve or tl audio.

dirty_bass
29-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah totally.
If your looking at that kind of money, I`d get myself a custom 42 channel Stratos Desk.

FILTERZ
29-04-2005, 10:55 AM
you can't go wrong with mackie equipment

Well except that the material covering on my £1200 pound mackie sub came off after 4 weeks , that one channel and one bus on my 2year old mackie desk is dodgy and two of the lights on the meterbridge are blown, then apart from that you cant go wrong. Sounds fantastic but is shoddily built , all these things happened within a year of buying it .

:nono: still love their gear though :love:

dirty_bass
29-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, mackie build quality has got worse over the last 5 years. I know so many people who have had to have repeated maintenance under their warrenty.
I think they survive on old rep these days.
I would have advised mackie a few years ago, but now days, I tend to advise people in other directions.

fatcollective
29-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Yeah, mackie build quality has got worse over the last 5 years. I know so many people who have had to have repeated maintenance under their warrenty.
I think they survive on old rep these days.
I would have advised mackie a few years ago, but now days, I tend to advise people in other directions.

cant agree with ya there mate, the mackie stuff we got is solid man, best money ever spent...absolutly no complaints ;)

fresh_an_funky_design
29-04-2005, 11:48 AM
yeah my mackie desk is sound. The Geezer's had his mackie 1604 desk for years doing live sets an it still works fine. Apparantly its been down a few sets of stairs in its time as well

stjohn
29-04-2005, 12:17 PM
... but now days, I tend to advise people in other directions.

and what would these directions be...???

dirty_bass
29-04-2005, 12:32 PM
yeah my mackie desk is sound. The Geezer's had his mackie 1604 desk for years doing live sets an it still works fine. Apparantly its been down a few sets of stairs in its time as well

That`s old mackie.
New stuff is getting cheaper.
It`s down to cheaper manufacturers I believe.
Was having a chat about this with a mate who works as a studio engineer in a lot of the big studios, he was bemoaning the lowering in quality.

Mackie is good, but I don`t think they really deserve their rep any more.
And their EQ`s are way too sharp.

RDR
29-04-2005, 12:39 PM
if you want all that stuff why not look at the yamaha o1x.

cheaper and it does the same job.

FILTERZ
29-04-2005, 01:28 PM
I love my Mackie as well but there build quality has dropped without a doubt.

xfive
29-04-2005, 01:32 PM
I love my Mackie 8bus... I don't know how it would compare to the new Onyx series though.. I'd have to try the EQ out before I could comment on it.

FILTERZ
29-04-2005, 01:34 PM
if you want all that stuff why not look at the yamaha o1x.

cheaper and it does the same job.

Digital schmigital :eh:

278d7e64a374de26f==