PDA

View Full Version : getting that reverse kick sound

tekara
06-05-2005, 12:19 PM
anyone know how producers make the reverse kick sound?

it is usually done right before a bar is about to end so a new layer of bass or percussion kicks in.

I hear it lots in many production tracks. As said earlier, it SOUNDS like a reverse kick, but ive tried reversing kicks in Kontakt and it doesnt sound the same at all..

anyone know what effect im talking about?

Scott Kemix
06-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Kind of, if you are reversing kicks i suggest you reverse them as an Audio track the beat before the start of your next bar.

nova
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
reverse it with ya audio editor then you will be able to trim the start point to get it sounding right other wise you get the long end of the kick first trim till it sounds right.

dirty_bass
06-05-2005, 02:03 PM
I do this a lot.
Just reverse exactly on beat at the end of the bar.
Also reversing the last hat in a bar works nicely for a shorter, more shushy reverse.
Also it tends to sound better when, at the end of the 32 or 64, you get that good old cliche extra kick at the end of the bar, you know, boom boom boom
boom-boom
Reverse that very last kick.

Mirsha
06-05-2005, 03:02 PM
If you are sequencing in Ableton you can actually just highlight the part of the beat, split the box up to isolate it then click on the reverse button in the sample editor to do it without having to resort to a sound editor, and since it's Ableton you can also trim it and warp it to your hearts desire as needed.

loopdon
06-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I do this a lot.
Just reverse exactly on beat at the end of the bar.
Also reversing the last hat in a bar works nicely for a shorter, more shushy reverse.
Also it tends to sound better when, at the end of the 32 or 64, you get that good old cliche extra kick at the end of the bar, you know, boom boom boom
boom-boom
Reverse that very last kick.

that's about it.

loopdon
06-05-2005, 03:32 PM
using fruity, create a second copy of your kick channel, and place the reverse kick like this:

1. (normal kick pattern) : K---K---K---K---

2. (reversed kick) : ------------r---

(use the 'reverse' option from the sampler channel settings)

you could do stuff like K---K---K---r--- this way before new stuff starts, for example, or use the r alone, to introduce new stuff.

dan the acid man
06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
also to get it sounding a little better, try taking some of the attack or decay off of it

Patrick DSP
06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I hear it lots in many production tracks. As said earlier, it SOUNDS like a reverse kick, but ive tried reversing kicks in Kontakt and it doesnt sound the same at all..

could it be your looking for a reversed gated reverb effect on top of your kicks? or maybe i've fully lost the plot now?

Dave Elyzium
06-05-2005, 07:55 PM
can you name a tune thtat has the effect in it that your looking for as if you've tried reversign the kick and it doesnt sound right then i doubt thats what your looking for?

audioinjection
06-05-2005, 08:49 PM
maybe its a kick w/ a delayed reverb on it?

tekara
07-05-2005, 07:04 AM
ummm, i hear joris voorn use it alot in his Future History album, technasia has used it lots....

im actually pretty convinced that it is a reversed kick now, but i just still cant seem to get it right.

If you have a vinyl with nothing but a straight 4/4 kick in the intro, and you reverse the record slowly, the sound made from that is similar to what im looking for.

Is there a preference of what kind of kick is used? a hard thumping one? a soft 808 one? And style?

Basically what i want to create is this:

K-K-K-R
HH-HH-HH-HH

anode
07-05-2005, 09:08 AM

could it be your looking for a reversed gated reverb effect on top of your kicks? or maybe i've fully lost the plot now?

sounds bout right to me ;) reverse reverb on a dp/4 does the trick! sounds nice on hatz

tekara
07-05-2005, 09:56 AM
what exactly is this reverse reverb trick?

Can anyone give me a hint on how to make this sound?

1) get a nice sound of a good kick
2) export as audio file
3) ADD REVERB???
4) Reverse kick with the reverb effect?

is that how it works? im gonna try it once i get home

Dave Elyzium
07-05-2005, 10:24 AM
depending on what whathardware or software reverb unit you are using its just a case of using a reverb that you can adjust the pre delay on, set this to the offbeat or whatever sounds best and play with the reverb decay settings to make it punch on the offbeat....i used to just use the basic reverb that came in reason, stick it on the gate setting and put the decay ot about 2'oclock

you can do it the long way in an audio editor by reverbing a kick drum and setting the wet / dry setting to 100% wet so you only get the reverb and none of the original signal...now you are free to play around with the reverb...effect it, distort it - whatever and then save it a sample and trigger it on the offbeat of your kick....this is handy if you use a busy kick pattern which would otherwise swamp the mix with reverb when the kicks bunch up

nova
07-05-2005, 11:22 AM
akai's samplers hav reverse reverb preset. it just givs it that boom whoomp boom whoomp boom whoomp sound when its on ya kick. i use gated then sync it to master if you can. then like said before hav it sounding on the offbeat should be somthing like 1/4 clocked

loopdon
07-05-2005, 02:48 PM
u can achieve what nova said by sending your kick to a send with a reverb plug and then play with the setting called 'predelay' until the reverbs fall inbetween the real kix. used in hardtechno and acid stuff quite a lot.

nova
07-05-2005, 02:54 PM
and with the ms setting can set that pretty much all the way round to the right and that will giv it off beat. then just ajust it silghtly to get it right. with reverb that is!

Mirsha
07-05-2005, 07:27 PM
If you have a vinyl with nothing but a straight 4/4 kick in the intro, and you reverse the record slowly, the sound made from that is similar to what im looking for.
Have you tried exporting the loop, reversing it then time delay stretching it as needed then firing it back in? Or you could just plug the reversed loop into something like Ableton and use the warp markers to smash the sound up a bit.

nova
07-05-2005, 08:27 PM
if ya wonna reverse 1 bar. i would in logic hilight that block in the audio channel. then open it in logics audio editor and simply reverse it. just that bar. theres loads of ways to get round it just gotta doit the way it works for you. maybe bounce down just 1 bar of your tune then reopen it into a audio channel then reverse it with the built in audio editor. even recycle it after and open it back into a audio channel.

278d7e64a374de26f==