PDA

View Full Version : Technics MK2 vs MK5 opinions needed...

acidpisar
08-05-2005, 01:14 PM
i need some info about mk5...

i know that mk5 has +16pitch,blue strobo light and more more...

but i need some of yours opinions!!
is it as much better than mk2?? and is it really worth to buy it??

Matt Jones
08-05-2005, 01:53 PM
The mk2 Technics go for around £325 each.

There are two other main models, the mk5 and the mk5g. The mk5 goes for around £379. This model is very similar to the mk2 but i feel it is worth the extra £100ish a pair. The main difference is the click-less pitch control. The mk2 'click' is very annoying for me. The click-less pitch makes it necessary for the mk5 to also have a quartz lock button, the position of which looks a bit awkward but in practice its ok. It's also got a recessed power switch and lamp socket at the back, but still looks similar to the mk2 model.

The mk5g looks completely different. They retail around £475 each. They don't look crap, but i definitely prefer the mk2/5 for looks. The mk5g has the option for +/- 8 or 16% pitch - a great feature. The plasticy looking finish and blue lights are a big turn off for me tho. I would go for the mk5.

acidpisar
08-05-2005, 02:03 PM
The mk2 Technics go for around £325 each.

There are two other main models, the mk5 and the mk5g. The mk5 goes for around £379. This model is very similar to the mk2 but i feel it is worth the extra £100ish a pair. The main difference is the click-less pitch control. The mk2 'click' is very annoying for me. The click-less pitch makes it necessary for the mk5 to also have a quartz lock button, the position of which looks a bit awkward but in practice its ok. It's also got a recessed power switch and lamp socket at the back, but still looks similar to the mk2 model.

so mk5 don't have +8/+16 pitch?? am i right??

The mk5g looks completely different. They retail around £475 each. They don't look crap, but i definitely prefer the mk2/5 for looks. The mk5g has the option for +/- 8 or 16% pitch - a great feature. The plasticy looking finish and blue lights are a big turn off for me tho. I would go for the mk5.

i thought both mk5 and mk5g are +8/+16pitch...
maby someone can post a picture of both mk5 decks?

acidpisar
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
ups i posted it wrong:

so mk5 don't have +8/+16 pitch?? am i right??

dirty_bass
08-05-2005, 06:53 PM
All technics can have +16 pitch. Although not at the flick of the switch.
I`d say the mk5 although worth it for the clickless pitch, is a bit of a rinsing pisstake by technics. As that is really the only feature that you get that means anything. Is it worth the extra 100 jib though?

mrbenn
08-05-2005, 06:57 PM
normal mk5's dont have the plus 16 pitch, only the MK5g's do. Personally i dont think its worth spending the extra £100 just to remove the 0 pitch click. If moneys no object to you though I guess it had its advantages ;)

Patrick DSP
08-05-2005, 07:20 PM
get the technic md3's if you want that clickless pitch, they're much cheaper than the mk5's aswell.

acidpisar
08-05-2005, 07:22 PM
i can have new mk5 here for the same price like mk2 in UK

but i thought they have +16 pitch...

tioneb
08-05-2005, 08:56 PM
get the technic md3's if you want that clickless pitch, they're much cheaper than the mk5's aswell.

agreed thats the only interesting feature justifying not buying mk2

TechMouse
09-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Elaborate?

Apex Beat
09-05-2005, 11:58 AM
They dont make Mk3's anymore. I just settled with Mk2's and they've done me fine, but if you've got another 100 quid to throw in you might as well get the Mk5's because they'll probably be the last set of decks you'll need to buy... Personally I was very tempted to go for STANTON ST8-150's but decided technics last minute as figured once you know how to abuse technics, you'll be fairly comfortable playing out on them. The only thing I think technics have left to offer is the build design and the fact they somehow remain industry standard (and having an industry standard is quite important). Apart from that, they are quite outdated in terms of features - however that said, they still have the lowest Wow & Flutter around (00.1%). I was quite attracted to those stanton ones because they have key correction and it seems to work quite well - i.e. you can play something at 8+ but it dosnt affect the key of the record so vocals dont sound 'chipmonk'. Also, 4.5kg of torque (compared to technics 1.6kg) is really nice to mix on, esp if you like a bit of turntable wizardry...

gumpy green
09-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Elaborate?no doubt by tweaking some pot inside the unit itself.

dtl
09-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Elaborate?no doubt by tweaking some pot inside the unit itself.

Yes! Twist the blue nob inside with a screwdriver, whilst have two identical records to test speed until they match..... It's a painful operation.

Eric.

gumpy green
09-05-2005, 02:54 PM
i wouldnt do it but yeh it can be done.......not that i want to play my records at +16 mind but an extra +2 would be nice on the odd occasion and no click would be good.

ther is a mod to remove the click too, ill try find the link again and post it if anybodys interested.

Si the Sigh
09-05-2005, 02:56 PM
I got a pair of the MK3's for £300 and love them to bits! Fu*k getting the MK5's with their blub LED's, etc, just go for the MK2 / MK3's in my opinion.

eyes without a face
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
how pedantic is this??? technics are technics, mk2, mk5 blah blah blah

anyone who's willing to pay extra just to get rid of a click, a friggin click! on a pitch fader just needs slapping with a wet fish, like in that advert....

if they are technics then they'l do the bizness... simple

tocsin
09-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Elaborate?

If you pull the platter off, you'll see two very small pots that can be adjusted right next to each other. One affects the breaking speed and the other deals with the speed of your pitch bar. I've had mine pitched up almost full pretty much since I got them. So, you can get near that +16 adjust, however, the ability to be able to switch back during play would be a nice feature. I don't know too many people who feel they need to reach 16 though. Most people who use my decks who are used to the +8 don't like 'em because the change is much more extreme and dificult to work with. But, I used to like mixing acid techno and hardcore together so the boost in pitch was helpful.

tocsin
09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, there are instructions floating around on the net so you can hack your mk2s to remove the quartz locking. That's really the only thing that causes the sometimes annoying quick bump in pitch around 0. I've not done the hack myself but, if I recall correctly, it basically involves some simple soldering to create a circuit so, when a button or switch is pressed, the circuit is closed and the quartz locking goes into effect.

stempelkissen
09-05-2005, 04:20 PM
my mk2s do the job just fine. i would agree that the mk5s are a lot more expensive for the addition of blue lights and a clickless pitch, which i think most people can live without...

icb
09-05-2005, 10:38 PM
how pedantic is this??? technics are technics, mk2, mk5 blah blah blah

anyone who's willing to pay extra just to get rid of a click, a friggin click! on a pitch fader just needs slapping with a wet fish, like in that advert....

if they are technics then they'l do the bizness... simple

indeed...

Apex Beat
10-05-2005, 12:03 AM
Anyone else found theres absoloutely no way to remove the platter? Seems like its welded to the bloody spindle.

tocsin
10-05-2005, 01:26 AM
It's held down magnetically. It may feel like it doesn't want to come off but, if you pull hard enough it will and it won't be breaking anything.

acidpisar
10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
so i think i will take mk5 because they are only 20ponds more expensive than mk2 ... so it's good price

Will
10-05-2005, 12:35 PM
A lot of clubs have mk 2's though, so it might be worth getting used to them and saving 20 quid! If you can use mk 2's you'll have no probs with later ones.

acidpisar
10-05-2005, 12:38 PM
A lot of clubs have mk 2's though, so it might be worth getting used to them and saving 20 quid! If you can use mk 2's you'll have no probs with later ones.

true...but the deck we will buy are the ones that we'll do almost all our parties :)

Matt Jones
12-05-2005, 07:41 PM
The difference between using mk2 and mk5 technics is not sufficient enough as to be any less experienced on either.

You can remove the click on a mk2 deck by removing the ball bearing that sits in the middle of the pitch control, however this is pointless because the pitch 'jump' at zero will still be present.

When you pitch up your technics you may find that you can never go back to its orignal +/- 8% if changed for long enough. When you change back the pitch will not be quite right. If you simply cannot live with the limiting +/- 8% then increase the variable by turning the blue variable resistor to the right - try to increase by as little as possible. Your technics pitch control will not be 'even' anymore. You will probably notice than the changes in pitch are more responsive towards the zero and less fine at the opposite ends. The finer pitch changes could actually be preferable to some.

DJ WMD
12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
i got a pair of mark 3ds off ebay as good as new. they brilliant , magical.
i like vestax as well tho very bling tho

GAMMA303
13-05-2005, 12:11 AM

yea i was going to say the same thing. the m3ds should be right in between mk2 and mk5 im not sure why one would want the mk5 unless they were going for the mk5g. regular mk5 and m3d seem like the same thing to me.

davethedrummer
16-05-2005, 10:36 AM
just buy the bloody originals
and learn how to dj first!
save your extra cash and buy some good records

davethedrummer
16-05-2005, 10:36 AM
just buy the bloody originals
and learn how to dj first!
save your extra cash and buy some good records

eyes without a face
16-05-2005, 11:25 AM
i got 1200's mk2, dont know how old they are, dont care, cos they'l be safe for life!

conflict
16-05-2005, 11:26 AM
i got 1200's mk2, dont know how old they are, dont care, cos they'l be safe for life!

i got the same ones although they never seem to stay in the mix aswell as 1210's-maybe they need a service?

alsynthe
16-05-2005, 01:24 PM
ive got mk2's and there great. u can always upgrade to clickless pitch sliders later!!!

audioaddict
24-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Have just bought a pair of 1200 mk5's and agree with what most peeps are saying in that they feel very similar to mk2's but with a few little touch ups, the clickless pitch slider is very good indeed. But I only really got em cos I found a deal, £699 the pair brand new, warranty etc.. Otherwise I probably would've gone 4 the mk2's as they still do the same thing in the end and last for ever an a day

278d7e64a374de26f==