PDA

View Full Version : One sided vinyl...A con?

Si the Sigh
13-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Just been thinking about how many of my records are actually blank on one side. At £5.00 to £8.00 a piece, I think that im being taken for a ride...

I want a B side... :evil:

Surely we should get our moneys worth? Are producers and artists ripping us off?

Your thoughs?

FILTERZ
13-05-2005, 08:50 AM
yeah i reckon a b-side is well in order, you know, put something on there even if its something experimental , silly or just plain wierd .

loopdon
13-05-2005, 09:14 AM
yeah i reckon a b-side is well in order, you know, put something on there even if its something experimental , silly or just plain wierd .

f**k the artist if he can't come up with two valid tracks on a record.

no need for fillers on the b-side, imho.

a one sided record is a whack idea to my mind.

just my 2 cents

Si the Sigh
13-05-2005, 09:23 AM
Even the shitty one sided bootlegs that comer out...where the B side? If you can knock up one shitty bootleg in a few hours you could do another for the other side. Not like its going to be hard work is it?

fresh_an_funky_design
13-05-2005, 10:24 AM
one sided vinyl's really piss me off, the only one i got that i think was worth it was a roku (ben sims & mark broom) so called limited edition one. Its worth it cos its an amazing tune an the flip side has got a well smart design engraved into the vinyl. Other than that there a waste of money

sash
13-05-2005, 10:30 AM

exactly. at least put something on there. some kind of dj tool would b more than appreciated!

Si the Sigh
13-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Yea, that would be cool. :cool:

waldhaus
13-05-2005, 10:44 AM
one-sided vinyls are made because they are less expensive then two-sided. I guess it's also to earn more cash. the label knows that they got a tune that sells well and then put in on vinyl and save some other tracks for an EP.

Matt Jones
13-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I simply don't buy them. I can't understand why people would want to have it one-sided. You save a bit of money but please put SOMETHING on the other side.

TechMouse
13-05-2005, 02:26 PM
One sided vinyls are put out by labels with no real grasp of the fundamental duality of existance. Where there is yin, there must also be yang.

Discuss...

RDR
13-05-2005, 02:38 PM
One sided vinyls are put out by labels with no real grasp of the fundamental duality of existance. Where there is yin, there must also be yang.

Discuss...

:hmm: i shall ask jean paul satre...

audioinjection
13-05-2005, 03:35 PM
i think i have a few one sided vinyls, but i only get them if the track is really good

TechMouse
13-05-2005, 03:42 PM

Discuss...

:hmm: i shall ask jean paul satre...

He'd tell you that hell is other DJs.

Dabble
13-05-2005, 05:53 PM
One sided would be fine if the cost of buying that tune was halved. Selling it for the same price (or more in some cases) as a double sided vinyl is a piss take IMO & ripping off the buyers, no matter how good the tune is. you'd expect it from the majority of bootleggers (in any genre) but not from ligit labels.

Ritzi Lee
13-05-2005, 06:15 PM
One sided would be fine if the cost of buying that tune was halved. Selling it for the same price (or more in some cases) as a double sided vinyl is a piss take IMO & ripping off the buyers, no matter how good the tune is. you'd expect it from the majority of bootleggers (in any genre) but not from ligit labels.

yeah halve the price or a reduced price.
my thoughts exactly.

but yeah, as label even then you don't have much to say,
because the industry standards are unchanged....
it's the distro's and shops who decide the price.

dirty_bass
13-05-2005, 06:19 PM
yeah, it`s a crap shoot.
Sometimes, they charge more for it, and call it limit4ed edition 1 sided vinyl.
Erm, isn`t all techno limited?

acidsaturation
13-05-2005, 08:11 PM
You're all missing the point: you can put a big spiral of your powder of choice on the flat side and put it on a deck and you don't have to move to get high...

dan the acid man
13-05-2005, 10:48 PM
yeah its all marketing and about making money, they know if they have a good tune, its going to sell even if its the only track on the vinyl

dan the acid man
13-05-2005, 10:49 PM
but having said that, im sure alot of us have records that we never ever play the b side

fresh_an_funky_design
14-05-2005, 03:10 AM
one-sided vinyls are made because they are less expensive then two-sided. I guess it's also to earn more cash. the label knows that they got a tune that sells well and then put in on vinyl and save some other tracks for an EP.

in my experience it is either no cheaper or its a very small difference in price between a two sided or single sided vinyl. It all depends on whether you pay for mastering by the hour or a fixed price.

fatcollective
14-05-2005, 05:30 AM
one sided vinyl is a con, but more so, its a waste of vinyl...whats the point in releasing a one sided vinyl, anit ya got any more tunes available? waste of time...as i kick myself in the bollox cause i have purchased one sided tracks myself...yes i am silly :doh:

jonnyspeed
16-05-2005, 01:25 AM
does everybody want cheese with that whine?

You very rarely get more that one killer track of an EP, so every single one sided EPs I have, is worth every penny - especially some of the limited press boots.

...and who's the mug that pays over £4-6 for an EP? you wanna get ordering from European online stores where the max you'll pay for an import ~8.50 euros = £5.40 and local stuff is only ~6.50 euros = £4.45. And postage is often free or like 1 euro per record if you buy enough.

278d7e64a374de26f==