PDA

View Full Version : The Ideology of techno?

Internal Error Records
14-05-2005, 10:24 PM
pretext - great thread DB "the Techno Movement..." i think about that alot.

Here is another question to philosophize in addition to the Movement question -

Does ideology influence techno (and its subgenres) greater than a prefered BPM?

And if so - What ideology does your subgenre serve?

dirty_bass
14-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Good question.
I think a lot of techno has no ideology.
I must admit, I am fairly pretensious, as I immerse myself in the arts, music, literature, painting, film.
So I expect an ideology or a meaning from the music I enjoy.
Even it is in an abstract form.
I understand that not all other people want as deep a journey from their music as I do.
But for me, music is a very unique and abstract form of art, that is a very important part of the nature of humanty.
Why do certain chords make you feel sorrow, or joy etc?
So to me, as music is such an amazing and powerful part of humanity, I expect some kind of progression and exploration from it. Some personality as unique as the mind it came from.
Yeah, I know, pretty pretensious.

stjohn
14-05-2005, 11:27 PM
i dont know about idealogy....
but i think the image created by laughing children in a horror film says alot for my feelings towards techno

Mr Exit
14-05-2005, 11:46 PM
[quote="Internal Error Records"]pretext -

Does ideology influence techno (and its subgenres) greater than a prefered BPM?

I think a lot of techno music is not written with any ideological theory in it all though most of the techno people I know are pretty anti-establishment in their veiws and I guese you could say that techno could be a sceen as a rage against the machine.

Ive always thought of techno as a bit of a human expression of living in a heavily industrial and mechanical world, and that techno is an escape from the ideology of bullshit capitalist politics

SlavikSvensk
15-05-2005, 12:15 AM
i think there is an ideology...well...at least a mantra. techno, traditionally, has been dance music that explores technology and how people relate to technology. of course, this definition is overly limiting if you accept it as the ONLY definition of techno, but i think a lot of the best stuff over the years has been along these lines...

djshiva
15-05-2005, 07:37 AM
most of my ideology as it applies to techno comes directly from my involvement with political punk rock and anarchism.

although sometimes i just write pissed off tunes about girls and bad relationships...

RDR
15-05-2005, 12:28 PM
i move with the ideology of happiness, dark happiness. Sounds that sound like nothing you've heard before, that can't be catagorised.

so i guess the ideology i use overall is the concept of sound as an end in itself. audio for audio's sake.

not very deep, but it floats my boat.

The Overfiend
15-05-2005, 04:52 PM
The Deeper the Thought Process The Better The Track.

SlavikSvensk
15-05-2005, 07:48 PM

generally speaking, i agree...

holotropik
16-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Damn fine topic Internal and most appropriate....in fact i cannot believe we havent discussed this as it is a step towards the definition and broader understanding of Techno and its future.

Well, for me Techno has always had an ideology. For me it goes without saying. The meaning is the source of inspiration for every track i do and every gig i perform. This ideology/meaning is what attracted me to Techno in the first place, because it is deep - very deep.

I like it because it fuses ancient knowledge with modern knowledge. A quick example would be to consider ancient drumming/musical rituals from the likes of Lappland, NA Indians or Aust aboriginals etc. (of interest is the fact that Lapplanders' were reffered to as trance-masters in ancient times and the western mind had great difficulty understanding their music style & techniques.

There is also the spiritual/comm(unity) elements associated with chanting, drumming and trance. Which, by default, fly in the face of the "establishment" that destroyed this element of our psyche in the first place. So the rebellious nature is inherint - rage against the machine with a machine.....hehehe.

For me everything about Techno is good and all about unity, expressing the beauty of the human psyche and knowledge. I am afraid i cannot look at it in simple terms such as getting munted to the point of stupidity and carry on like an imbesile ignorant of the purpose of such a gathering like a rave etc.

Although, a certain degree of partaking in the substance is fun and necessary for the human spirit. Just dont take it too far....

SlavikSvensk
16-05-2005, 02:57 AM
u mean the saami. their singing it called "yoiking"

holotropik
16-05-2005, 02:58 AM
Oh....i dont believe in sub-genres. blah!! load of shit really.

know the artist for the type of tunes they like to play (hard, soft, funky, acid, minimalistic) and the promoters of events should place those artists in appropriate slots for the journey of the event. (or DJs should choose the tracks that suit what the event requires using the whole range of sounds available to them).

Events that soley play one sub-genre are boring and doing more harm than good. And that is why its silly to try to spawn a new industry for every sub-genre. Everything ends up splintered and confusing while placing a small narrow focus on one thing rather than a broad focus on the whole thing, which would make Techno more noticeable.

holotropik
16-05-2005, 02:58 AM
yep, the saami - fantastic history!

SlavikSvensk
16-05-2005, 03:13 AM
yeah the saami are awesome...tuvan throat singing is also pretty neat sounding, though i think a lot of people who try to use these sounds are coming at it from an uber-cheesy goa trance perspective...could be fantastic if done right.

machina
16-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Good question.
I think a lot of techno has no ideology.
I must admit, I am fairly pretensious, as I immerse myself in the arts, music, literature, painting, film.
So I expect an ideology or a meaning from the music I enjoy.
Even it is in an abstract form.
I understand that not all other people want as deep a journey from their music as I do.
But for me, music is a very unique and abstract form of art, that is a very important part of the nature of humanty.
Why do certain chords make you feel sorrow, or joy etc?
So to me, as music is such an amazing and powerful part of humanity, I expect some kind of progression and exploration from it. Some personality as unique as the mind it came from.
Yeah, I know, pretty pretensious.

lol - was just joking with a mate on the weekend about how pretentious people are defined by their inability to spell - and here's dirty spelling pretentious wrong.... not having a dig - just friggin funny giving my convo :D

RDR
16-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Thats doesnt mean i dont think about my music.

tocsin
16-05-2005, 01:20 PM
If the ideology becomes restricting, it's bogus. Always felt more like "do what thou wilt" to me.

RDR
16-05-2005, 01:40 PM
If you mean what i think you mean, iagree

i always felt like the music spoke through me rather than any controlling force. I prefer to let my brain and the 'Force' (i dont mean anyhting jedi-ish..) speak. i feel like a musical sponge - soaking up influences and letting my fingers perform what feels right.

FILTERZ
18-05-2005, 10:10 AM

dont really agree with that at all

you can think to much about music for me its about feeling and it goes deeper than language , feel it dont think it.

Mindful
18-05-2005, 10:45 PM
feel it dont think it.

Thats the Matrix isnt it :shock:

Mindful
18-05-2005, 10:51 PM
personaly for me techno has to move my mind more than my heart or feet(not saying the latter are not importent to me)

SlavikSvensk
18-05-2005, 10:53 PM

you can think to much about music for me its about feeling and it goes deeper than language , feel it dont think it.

thinking a lot and having a deep thought process are not the same thing.

sorry...i don't want to sound cheeky, but i think you are right about thinking too much, but that is not what SoS is talking about...

FILTERZ
23-05-2005, 09:48 AM
feel it dont think it.

THERE IS NO SPOON ;)

FILTERZ
23-05-2005, 09:50 AM

thinking a lot and having a deep thought process are not the same thing.

sorry...i don't want to sound cheeky, but i think you are right about thinking too much, but that is not what SoS is talking about...

FAIRY MUFF .

Mindful
23-05-2005, 09:57 PM
feel it dont think it.

THERE IS NO SPOON ;)

:lol:

reality
20-06-2005, 05:57 PM
ive always percieved techno as having some sort of deeper meaning....

im mean the first time i heard "techno" music it did something to me it made me feel something ..and it felt right....ive always broke down the genres as such , hardcore for the trying times in your mind, techno for the more content and thoughtful times in your mind, house for the just bugging out times in your mind, and breaks and jungle as some kind of confusion in your mind and depending on the mood will influence what yu want to listen to....but that is as far as i go with the pigeon holing, dont like parties with one genre. i am a firm believer of the build up and come down of the way a party should progress...

but there have been cases where ive seen and known people wjho hold themselves apart from the whole culture cuz they believe there genre is the real one and the rest of us's arent....that cant help the cause here now can it.....

PS ive also thought about the whole culture of electronic music as something that has evolved from the days of indian and their ceremonies...their drums and repetious percussion and the whole dancing around a fire to be more in touch with their culture and IDEALS....

278d7e64a374de26f==